Upgrading CX777ES firmware?

windrockwater

Upgrading CX777ES firmware?

Postby windrockwater » Mon May 26, 2008 7:55 am

I searched around and couldn't find anything. The links in the Wiki are dead:

So can anyone provide some tips for upgrading the firmware in my CX777Es changer and figuring out what version i have?

TCassio
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby TCassio » Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Theres a firmware upgrade for the 777????

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Mon May 26, 2008 8:25 am

The latest CX777ES plugin is suppose to add the capabiity to set the Mode of the CX777ES to allow for polling.
If you aren't working this might be what you need (not necessarily a firmware change).

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue May 27, 2008 12:01 pm

There is a firmware upgrade that corrects for some communication issues on early model Sony changers. The firmware update and be found here. And the instructions are here.

Unless you have a very old changer you should not have to update the firmware. I had a first gen changer and I followed these instructions and they worked and it did fix my changer problems.

Most of the time the problems with the changer boil down to the fact that Broadcast mode has not been turned on. The changer will not provide any feedback info unless broadcast is turned on.

The new version of the plugin puts a BMode button next to the Power button on the setup page. You can click this button after power on to turn on Brodacast mode. Or you can simple issue the command MLCX777ES|BMode~On. You only have to do this once.

windrockwater

Postby windrockwater » Tue May 27, 2008 1:03 pm

Thanks Dave:
Thats very informative. I will try all of what you recommend here.

I really hope to get the GC working. Its a very convenient to use it instead of the PC for the serial connection. Again the serial commands work but not from the GC only from a PC serial port. I hope to fix this.

I think the changer is 2004 but i am not certain.

What plugin has the Bmode stuff? I believe i am using the most up to date version of the MLCX777ES plugin and dont recall seeing that. If the serial works via a pc, does that mean i do not have a broadcast issue and it must be something else?

Is anyone using a GC with their changer? Did you have to modify any of the GC settings to get it to work?

Sean

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue May 27, 2008 1:40 pm

The Brodcast On button is in version 3.0.43 of the plugin. It is available for download in MLInstaller. There should be no problem controlling the changer through the GC100. One thing you have to remember is that you must set up the baud rate on the GC100 ports manually. Connect to the web interface on the GC100 and verify that the baud rate is set to 9600.

Don't forget to turn on event logging in the CX777ES plugin. You should see respones coming back on the serial port.

windrockwater

Postby windrockwater » Tue May 27, 2008 2:37 pm

Thanks for quick response.

I did not realize i had to manually change baud setting for the GC. I will do that and try again.

By the way, as expected, the robustness of the control of the 777 changer via serial is much better than via IR. That is, when i hit Play Movie in Dvdlobby, it goes right to work! Very nice.

Now i will compare picture quality between my two DVD changers (ES=component vs. Sony995=HDMI). Fingers crossed that they are comparable....

(Still baffled that old school 777 changer is still the way to go).

windrockwater

Postby windrockwater » Tue May 27, 2008 7:41 pm

Yes it was the baud rate. It was not set to 9600. It is now, and the PowerOn test in the 777 plugin responded.

THank you!

Return to “Sony”