Troubleshooting serial comm with DVP-CX777ES

egamez

Troubleshooting serial comm with DVP-CX777ES

Postby egamez » Thu May 08, 2008 6:28 pm

Hi Folks

Apparently I have a serial communication failure with my Sony DVP-CX777ES. I am running MLServer in a Vista Home Premiun and I am testing 2 USB to Serial adapters based on Profilix chip. I have checked the following:
* Vista has recognized both adapters and in fact according to Windows Device Manager both are working properly.
* Serial Comm parameters are set up as 9600, 8 Bits, None Parity, 1 stop bit and none flow control.
* Adapters are using Com 6 and 7 respectively, assigned by Vista
* I am using the same cable I used with my old server which worked fine with my CX777ES
* I do not see any issue with Plug-in
However:
* My Sony DVP-CX777ES does not respond to Plug-in Power On test
* Neither respond to MLServeCmd.MLCX777ES|PowerOn~1 command

Reading the Wiki I wondered that there is Firmware Instructions and Update links but both address link cannot be found (webpage cannot be found) so I cannot figure out if is either a Adapter issue, Plug-in Issue or Sony firmware issue

Can anyone to help me how to better troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks

egamez

Re: Troubleshooting serial comm with DVP-CX777ES

Postby egamez » Thu May 08, 2008 6:36 pm

Sorry but adapter is based on Prolific chip which I understand is pretty much common used in these sort of adapters

Thanks

egamez

Postby egamez » Sat May 10, 2008 11:07 am

Hi Folks

Sorry to bother but I am really deseperate to fix this issue since I am not able to leverage DVDLobby 3.75 neither DMR and so for. I have done some testing to discard issues with USB interfases and both are working fine communicating via RS232 with other device not from Cinemar Suite but other Software thought.

So it takes me to think that there should be an issue either with Plug-in/MLServer or CX777ES firmware. WiKi hyperlink to firmware update info is missing and I do not what else I can do to discard issue with plug-in

Please help me...

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Mon May 12, 2008 1:16 pm

Have you tried issuing the broadcast command from the MLCx777ES plugin again?
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

egamez

Postby egamez » Mon May 12, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi Folks

I have done other troubleshooting procedures including:

* Test from a XP Latop using its on board Serial Port and it still does not work
* Upgraded the CX777ES firmware to the apparently latest SysCON version: 1.5.20
* I am running MLServer in a Vista Premium SP1 PC under XP SP1 compatibility mode and with Admin privilegies

I am not still sucessfull making the plug-in communicate with my CX777ES. Power On test does not work neither any command I issue from MLserver. On plug-in I have enabled logging and I can see the bytes sent by plug-in under Power On test.

So Please What else Do I need to verify or troubleshoot this problem

Thanks in advance and hope you can help me since I am getting frustrated to not be able work my MLDVD 3.75 and DMR

egamez

Postby egamez » Mon May 12, 2008 1:37 pm

Hi Mario

I re-issue the Power On test command from plug-in after make the last changes described in this thread but I am still unable to communicate with the CX777ES. I don't know any other way than using the ML plug-in to test the serial port in the CX777ES but at least I feel that everything is ok with my OS Vista Premiun SP1 in terms of the USB-Serial device being recognized and working properly even testing with my Stargate.

If you guys know any other way to test directly the CX777ES ( not using MLCX777ES) please let me know since it will help me to discard if my DVP has by any chance technical issues with its interfase

Thanks

Scott

Postby Scott » Mon May 12, 2008 1:51 pm

I didn't notice in any of your messages if you were using a null modem cable. Also there's a special command you have to send to the DVD player first before you can start communicating with it. I thought it was in the wiki but I couldn't find it.[/code]
Scott
InControl

egamez

Postby egamez » Mon May 12, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi Scott

Thanks for response. In fact I am using the same serial cable I used to use with my old PC and I was not aware about that special command. I thought it should as simple as test from the same MLCX777ES plug-in with its Power On test. As far the Wiki for this plug-in I do not see so if you or someone else find it please let me know

Thanks again for your time and willing to help

egamez

Postby egamez » Mon May 12, 2008 2:00 pm

Hi Scott

I mean I could not find that special command within the MLCX777ES WiKi neither in any other related Cinemar WiKi doc.

Thanks

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon May 12, 2008 2:10 pm

You need a null modem cable. The plugin communicates to the changer at 9600 baud. However, you should double-check to make sure the changer's baud rate is set at 9600. It may be set differently.

Finally, once you get your changer communicating with the plugin then you should issue a MLCX777ES|BMode~On command to enable full two-way feedback.

egamez

Postby egamez » Mon May 12, 2008 2:36 pm

CinemarDave wrote:You need a null modem cable. The plugin communicates to the changer at 9600 baud. However, you should double-check to make sure the changer's baud rate is set at 9600. It may be set differently.

Finally, once you get your changer communicating with the plugin then you should issue a MLCX777ES|BMode~On command to enable full two-way feedback.

Hi Dave

Thanks for response. I am using a null modem cable and serial interfase at Windoes is set up at 9600, 8 bits, none parity, 1 bit stop and non flow control. However I do not how to verify or set up the changer's baud rate. Important to notice that everything worked fine when I used my old XP PC which is not longer with me and I never had to set up or verify changer's baud rate but anyway let me know if there is any procedure to verify it or set up.

Assuming that by default my Changer's baud rate is set up at same 9600 and that I have confirmed that as far Windows and Serial interfase is everything OK, Should I issue MLCX777ES|BMode~On command even before to expect that the plug-in Power On Test command work ?

Thanks in advance for your time and willing to help

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon May 12, 2008 2:47 pm

Since it was worknig on your old Pc we can assume the baud rate is set ok. You can check the baud rate buy going into the menu / setup options on the changer.

Turn on event logging in the CX777ES plugin and then click on the power on test button. Post the contents of the event log.

You can only issue the BMode command after you have communications up and running.

egamez

Postby egamez » Mon May 12, 2008 2:57 pm

Hi Dave

Thanks. I will check tonight as soon I get back home tonight. I will let you know what the findings are including the log file from plug-in

Thanks

Return to “Sony”