Multiple Changer Hardware Setup

California

Multiple Changer Hardware Setup

Postby California » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:24 pm

I am adding a second Sony 777es and am wondering about the hardware required to split or combine all the signals. Is everything available at a computer store and does anything have to be a specific type like the null modem cable? Is there one unit to combine and split everything you recommend or do I buy each piece separate?

Here is what I need from what I can see:
A second null modem cable.
A device to split the serial port.
A device to switch the S video signal from the two Sony units to the TV.
A cable to switch or combine the two RCA audio out signals to the TV.
A device to switch or combine the digital audio sound (RCA) from the two Sony units to the surround sound system.

I was also wondering if the switching of signals is automatic or if something has to be done with an automated command? The S video signal always seems to be active with the screen saver when the Sony unit is on so how does a switcher unit detect which one should be active?

I am only planning to add the one additional unit for a total of two if that matters for any equipment recommendations.

Any information would be helpful as I have very little knowledge about the issue. Thanks
System: MainLobby 3, ML Server 3, DVDLobby, WeatherLobby, MusicLobby, 2 Sony 777es, Samsung UMPC, RCA 5.1 ch sound, HomeSeer 2, ZWave, HD LCD TV-Monitor, Component switcher, Custom quad AMD processor PC with Radeon EAH3850 dual monitor/HDTV graphics card.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:28 pm

You do not split a comport. You add another comport.

If you don't have another, then purchase either a PCI multiserial port adapter, or a good USB to serial adapter like en EdgePort or a ByteRunner. A LOT of cheap single USB to serial com port adapters don't work with lots of hardware, so be careful.

Ideally, you would be using a component matrix switcher to switch multiple sources (each sony changer is a source) to multiple displays (one in each watching area). Cinemar supports many matrix switchers.

Cheap is to watch eBay for older Autopatch units.

Svideo? does your TV accept component? upgrade the signal path. Svideo isn't very good video quality. Your DVDs will look better if using the Sony's component outputs.

California

Postby California » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:41 pm

Right now I only have one TV hooked up. It has one S-video input, one set that looks like an RCA connection labeled YCbCr and one set labeled YPbPr.

The thing I hate about the TV is how the signal is switched, it has a scroll down menu so I do not think there is a command I can issue to automatically switch the video input signal. I also use the TV for a computer monitor since it has a VGA input.
System: MainLobby 3, ML Server 3, DVDLobby, WeatherLobby, MusicLobby, 2 Sony 777es, Samsung UMPC, RCA 5.1 ch sound, HomeSeer 2, ZWave, HD LCD TV-Monitor, Component switcher, Custom quad AMD processor PC with Radeon EAH3850 dual monitor/HDTV graphics card.

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:38 pm

Ideally you want to use the Component (YPbPr) output for the CX777ES, as it provides the best quality signal.

Depending on your setup, a component auto-switch might work if you only turn on the 777 when you want to watch a movie (and it's off otherwise).

I have a couple of Audio Authority AA1154 component auto-switches available (upgraded to a Video Storm CRM84 a while back) - they take component video and analog audio plus coax or TOSlink digital audio, PM me if you're interested.

My original setup was two CX777ES units plus HD tuner connected to an AA1154. The HD tuner was always-on, so it was in the lowest priority input on the AA1154. The 777's were normally off and connected to higher-priority inputs, so when a 777 came on, it would automatically switch to the changer that came on.

The other AA1154 was used for my game consoles.

Brandon
- Brandon
My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

Return to “Sony”