File Extensions and other ?'s

jackpod
Intermediate
Intermediate

File Extensions and other ?'s

Postby jackpod » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:33 pm

Ok I am at a loss. I have my video server built, archived a bunch of disks, all is well until... Over the last 5-6 years I have been archiving a lot of stuff to DVD+RW ( I am an old fart and have an extensive collection of silents and 30's 40's B&W stuff) For you yonger folks out there, yes movies and such used to be in B&W, Anyway...

I archived a bunch of my DVD+RW (using DVDFab BTW) onto the server and when I go to play them, the menu that my several Philips DVD+RW recorders puts on the disks plays fine, but when I select a title I only get about 25% picture width all on the left side of the screen, nothing I do to the aspect ratio makes it right. If i start the VOB directly the image is as it should be, but then TheaterTek only plays that VOB and I have to manually start the next VOB.

Anybody know what is going on? Also can anybody explain what the different file extensions are?

Hope someone has the answer

Thanks!

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:02 pm

An info file associated with a .VRO video file. The .VRO file contains the video stream and the .IFO file contains various scene and timing information. This is different from a .VOB file where that information is included in the file. Several manufacturers use .VRO/.IFO files. If present, the file VIDEO_TS.IFO consists of control and playback information for the entire DVD. VIDEO_TS.IFO is known as VMGI (The Video Manager Information file). This file is required to be present on a DVD-compliant disc. .....

Basically my understanding is that the IFO file "tells" the system about the movie and it's settings. If you are launching the vob directly and seeing it nicely, then whatever software you used to rip, didn't have the right settings to create a correct IFO file.

Not an expert on the subject, but that's my limited understanding.

Return to “TheaterTek”