Powering on and off equipment w motion

Goodfella

Powering on and off equipment w motion

Postby Goodfella » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:51 pm

Hello
I'm sure this has been done. What I would like to do is have a X-10 motion sensor in a room and if there is no motion for a certain amount of time to have it turn off equipment. If anyone is doing this already would they be so kind to share how to. Thanks

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:06 pm

When the motion device turns on, you would set a MLTimer event for a certain amount of time. When that expires, you would then have MLServer turn the device off.

THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

Postby THARTIGH » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:11 pm

I am not doing it now but you can do this very easily. You can set your motion sensor to send any x-10 command. If you use the w800 you can upon receiving a command send a command.

1. Have the motion sensor send a D1 on for motion and a D1 off for no motion.
2. Set the wgl to set a variable like "Motion_Great_Room" = 1 when the D1 on is received (motion) and = 0 when D1 off is received (no motion)
3. Creat a rule in mlserver
if - "Motion_Great_Room" = 0
then - start a timer of a few minutes. When the timer ends have it run a command map that checks the "Motion_Great_Room" variable again. If its still 0 then run another command map for powering down that room. Or just add the power down to the first command map.

There are many ways you could do this but this would at least double check to make sure you are actually out of the room. The only down fall is what if you are laying still on the couch watching a movie. The motion sensor will likely not know you are there and power everything off.

Return to “WGL Designs”