YESSSSSSSSSSSSS it works!

THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS it works!

Postby THARTIGH » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:38 pm

Here are some tips for the ds10a. Great job mario!

You can view the thread here:
http://www.cinemaronlineforums.com/foru ... 3&start=15

This method is used to change your unit code. It is still random but you can force the change. I now have sixteen ds10a's with different codes working.

Anyway to get your ds10a to change address here is what you do:

1. With batteries in, press and hold the test button it will blink several
times to send the code, then stop, and blink a couple times.
2. remove batteries.
3. Take batteries out of unit.
4. Wait 5 seconds.
4. Press and hold the test button.
5. Insert batteries while holding the test button down.
6. Once the batteries are in continue to hold the test button for 3 seconds
and release
7. Press the test button and hold for 5 or more seconds, release. Unit will
blink a couple of times.
8. Press the test button one time (without holding) it will send a new code.

In step 7, it seems that by varying the wait time longer affects the code.

I must also add that this takes for ever to get all the codes. I went back after a few hours to repeat this and now I only have 11 units working on different codes.
Last edited by THARTIGH on Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:29 pm

Can I change the website back now to reflect support of Motion Detectors? :)

THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

Postby THARTIGH » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:33 pm

Yup! :lol:

The motion sensors always worked from what mario said. I also confirmed that the Eagle eye #MS14A works great.

Thanks!

Todd

THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

Postby THARTIGH » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:22 am

Another thing to note is that I can change the number code but the plugin only recognizes the letter code of E=closed and M=open.

So If the plugin could generate more letter codes I would say this plugin is fully functional.

Hopefully this will save cinemar some time next week.

Todd

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:31 am

THARTIGH wrote:Another thing to note is that I can change the number code but the plugin only recognizes the letter code of E=closed and M=open.

So If the plugin could generate more letter codes I would say this plugin is fully functional.

Hopefully this will save cinemar some time next week.

Todd, I'm not sure I follow you.

Are you saying your DS10A is sending a different letter code like A or B and an MLServeCmd isn't being triggered?
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

Postby THARTIGH » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:45 am

Mario, I was saying the number code changes when you reset the unit but the letter code always stays the same. E & M.

After a couple hundred tests I was able to get a total of 16 sets of code for 16 seperate ds10's

E is switch closed and M is open.

E Dim - E Bright
M Dim - M Bright

E9 On - E9 Off
M9 On - M9 Off

E10 On - E10 Off
M10 On - M10 Off

E12 On - E12 Off
M12 On - M12 Off

E13 On - E13 Off
M13 On - M13 Off

E14 On - E14 Off
M14 On - M14 Off

E15 On - E15 Off
M15 On - M15 Off

E16 On - E16 Off
M16 On - M16 Off

Hope that helps!

Todd

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:02 am

I'm still not sure I follow you. Our plugin doesn't dictate what is coming from the Sensors. We have no control over what is coming in. If the DS10A constantly sends E and M - that's what we display. The plugin is really just a log of X10 codes that it is acquiring. The plugin will recognize other codes if they are sent. It just so happens that the DS10A's always seem to send E and M. Even on our end it is.

I've tried sending Palm Pad remote X10 codes and it does recognize A1 and other X10 Codes. So I don't think there is anything wrong with our parsing.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

Postby THARTIGH » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:27 am

Then everything is working great.

I thought the plugin was reading the 4 bits and generating a code from that.

If I take two sensors and they both show in the plugin as E Bright And M Bright, then the plugin must see the 4 bit code as being the same. If I go to the wgl software, the same two sensors will have seperate bit codes. It appears that the security consoles for these units don't parse the data, they just take the unique 4 bit code then associate an x10 code to it.

Overall tit should work the way it is for most people since so far I know you can have 16 seperately monitored sensors. For me that is more than enough. If I put one on all the windows in the kitchen they can all share the same code. I would only want to know that a kitchen window was open, not which one since I can visually see that. Or you can also use one sensor and extend the wire up to a 100' with several magntetic switches to hit all the windows.

Todd

JaySway

Postby JaySway » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:58 pm

Todd,

I think that 16 unique sensor codes may be the magic number.
If I remember correctly, the highest number of "Zones" an X10 security controller can support is 16. I vaguely recall that tidbit from the 5 minutes or so that I owned one (several years ago).

I'm wondering how often we'll be playing the "push the test button, curse, take the batteries out, put the batteries in, repeat" game. Hopefully, we'll be pleasantly surprised by the battery life.

Thank you for your work on all of this, you have undoubtedly saved me several hours!

Jay

THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

Postby THARTIGH » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:39 pm

No problem. The batteries from what I have read on other forums last 1-2 years. If you take the batteries out it will still retain the same code for about an hour. Considering how cheap batteries are I will probably raplace them about every 9 months just to be safe.

Todd

THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

Postby THARTIGH » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:13 pm

Go to the bottom to read the tips without the story!

Here is another update on my findings. I finally moved into the new house and installed all the computers and equipment in the office closet in the middle of the house. I took one sensor and used it as a template to drill all the mounting holes near doos and windows. I then went by the computer and started the pain of changing the codes. (stated above) Before I got to far I figured I better check the distance the w800 can receive the codes from the ds10a'a. Well I am glad I did because I started getting all kinds of various codes from the same sensor.

Like this:

E10 off - sensor apart
M10 off - sensor togeather

E10 off - sensor apart

C1off - sensor apart

E10 off - sensor apart
K5 off - sensor togeather

Well after a bunch of searching I found out that if the sensor is just out of range then you will see this. So I started playing with the antenna position and placed it in the attic. It helped, but not much. Then I found that you want to keep the w800 as far from the computer as you can, so I installed a 15' serial extension cable this helped alot more but I still had trouble with some sensors. I searched some more and found a post on cocoontech about people making antennas. So I made this with $9.99 worh of parts from radio shack.
http://www.shed.com/tutor/mr26ant.html

Note: since the w800 has an external antenna you only need to get the these parts:
1. - twin lead 300ohm wire 40"
2. - Matching transformer 75ohm to 300ohm #15-1140B

Thanks to this I placed the antenna laying flat on the floor. I now can read the mailbox sensor that is about 200' away.

So here a couple of tips

1. Take 15 minutes and make this basic little antenna It is very easy. If you can't solder then ask a buddy to do it for you.

2. Place the antenna as high as possible! It looks like the person who made the instuctions just tacked it to the sealing of a closet.

Hope this helps someone!

Todd

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:00 pm

Todd,

Great to hear. I'm planning on adding a sensor to my mailbox out by the road as well. So this will certainly help out.

One thing I'd also like to do is add some type of light to the Mailbox...so if the mail is still in the box when the wife comes home, she can pick it up. There are days when I get it first so knowing if the mail is still in there is key with the cold Wisconsin weather.

I'll probably just temporarily turn on the front porch light temporarly if there is mail in the mailbox.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

Postby THARTIGH » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:27 pm

Mario I ended up putting one of these above the front door. http://www.smarthome.com/72701b.html

I just used a 110 to 12v wall plug for power connected to a insteon inline switch. I set it up so that it turns on the second time the mail box is opened. (when I get the mail) and turns off at a specified time. I also blacked out alot of the lens so its not so bright.

The main thing I use it for is the pizza guy and parties. Just tell them to look for the blinking blue light. on the house.

Todd

THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

Postby THARTIGH » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:01 am

Another update!

Ever since I did this antenna upgrade I am able to get alot of different codes very easily. During testing prior to the antenna I had to mess with each switch to get a different code. Now I have not had to mess with the codes. Each one out of sixteen has generated a different code.

It kinda does not make any sense. The antenna should not have affected the codes that the plugin sees. Maybe the week signal affected this. Who knows, I am just happy this worked.

It also looked like these were limited to sixteen different codes but that is not the case.

All sixteen are now installed on doors and some windows and seem to be working very well.

I am going to wait a few days and if they continue to work well I will buy more.

Todd

THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

Postby THARTIGH » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:40 am

Another thing to add is these ds10a's send a sigal every hour of its status. It is a very nice feature if used a sa security device.

Todd

Return to “WGL Designs”