W800 Plugin - Multiple Receivers?

W800 Plugin - Multiple Receivers?

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:07 pm

Does the new W800 plugin support more than 1 receiver? I need two in my environmental conditions to get full coverage.

mwhistle

Re: W800 Plugin - Multiple Receivers?

Postby mwhistle » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:47 pm

Anonymous wrote:Does the new W800 plugin support more than 1 receiver? I need two in my environmental conditions to get full coverage.
Sorry, that was me. Forgot to log-in first.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:06 pm

You could run two instances of MLServer and two plugins. The concern would be over double hits and reconciling them.

Have you tried a better antenna or placement? Is this to get outside coverage as well as inside?

If the plugin did allow for two comports to be assigned, would you run one really long antenna wire or serial wire to the second unit?

There still would be the double hit problem to deal with.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:07 pm

Hey Madge,

So far it only supports 1 device. It would be fairly easy to add support for multiple devices, but I don't think that would solve your problem. We'd have to take it to the next level and add some logic to prevent the overlapping of incoming commands from both devices. According to our programmer, this is a much bigger project.

With just two W800's supported, the user could possibly have multiple MLServeCmd's being sent because in certain areas, both W800's would hear the command.

Given the current workload, I think we could accomplish solving part of your problem, but the other one would probably have to wait until after the EHX show.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

mwhistle

Postby mwhistle » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:26 pm

Thanks so much for the feedback. I see the complications you're pointing out with multiple receivers both getting signals.

I imagine most folks could get by easily with one receiver. My peculiar problem is that I can't get the antenna high enough as I don't have an attic. The range people report with an attic installation is truly remarkable.

The deadzone I have is small, but significant. I hadn't thought about changing out the antenna (I'm using the default one that ships with the W800).

I was planning on ordering another W800 this afternoon (using serial cable for the long run), but perhaps I'll test out a better antenna first to see if I can get the range I need with just one receiver. I'll hunt around for one, but if you know off the top of an antenna that I should consider, by all means point me to it!

TCassio
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby TCassio » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:53 pm

mwhistle,

If you are running Homeseer, the w800 (ACRF) plugin supports multile receivers.

BraveSirRobbin

Postby BraveSirRobbin » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:59 pm

mwhistle wrote:I was planning on ordering another W800 this afternoon (using serial cable for the long run), but perhaps I'll test out a better antenna first to see if I can get the range I need with just one receiver. I'll hunt around for one, but if you know off the top of an antenna that I should consider, by all means point me to it!

Can't beat the price of this one if you have a little time on your hands :? :

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=126

I have this one up in my attic and just run a long coax cable to my W800 (I realize you don't have an attic, just showing that you can "extend" the antenna from the unit if you would like).
-----------------------------
**** Do You Cocoon? ****

Return to “WGL Designs”