Never Ending Rain8 Saga

lilsmurfman

Never Ending Rain8 Saga

Postby lilsmurfman » Fri May 22, 2009 12:22 am

Well in the past I have posted about loosing connections to the Rain8s every few days where I would have to physically pull power and the rs-232 connection. I have two locations each about 120ft away. After never being able to resolve that issue I ended up using the cat5 as a network connection and placed a WAP at each location and am using the AIRPort RS-232 Servers.

Since then we have never really had to "reset" the rain8's but now I'm getting strange errors. About every couple days this will happen and a valve will stay on....

"There was an error in MLIrrigation Service: 35605~This item's control has been deleted."

After looking into the log not only did the schedule run HOURS late but never went past zone9. I have 16 on this program. The "OFF~9" command was never even set.

This was after a solid 10 days with a reboot or interference. This is still happening far to often. I have yet to have this thing running for anytime greater than a couple weeks without having to fix something....

Im on Version 3.75.22

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat May 23, 2009 6:58 am

I was going down the same path and as of this season, gave up on the Rain8. I had excessive RS232 errors that would just happen out of the blue. The good thing is that I set the max zone run time in the Rain8 so that after a bit, the valves would turn off via the rain 8 command.

I even implemented the Rain 8 directly to the HAI panel, which worked better then from ML/MLS, but still had error issues.

I have been through 2 sets of Rain 8's and have given up.

I went back to hard relays running from my HAI panel. It never does anything wrong, but the program management stinks, and the integration with Cinemar stinks.

I can only hope that after DaveP gets the HAI driver fixed, that maybe Mario will add HAI as a choice for an irrigatiuon controller and that I can then start using the great features in ML/MLS to control the system.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

lilsmurfman

Postby lilsmurfman » Sat May 23, 2009 9:03 pm

DaveB wrote:I was going down the same path and as of this season, gave up on the Rain8. I had excessive RS232 errors that would just happen out of the blue. The good thing is that I set the max zone run time in the Rain8 so that after a bit, the valves would turn off via the rain 8 command.

I even implemented the Rain 8 directly to the HAI panel, which worked better then from ML/MLS, but still had error issues.

I have been through 2 sets of Rain 8's and have given up.

I went back to hard relays running from my HAI panel. It never does anything wrong, but the program management stinks, and the integration with Cinemar stinks.

I can only hope that after DaveP gets the HAI driver fixed, that maybe Mario will add HAI as a choice for an irrigatiuon controller and that I can then start using the great features in ML/MLS to control the system.

I was afraid someone was going to say that, hmmmm

snx

Re: Never Ending Rain8 Saga

Postby snx » Wed May 27, 2009 11:26 am

I've had to replace a Rain8 as well. Issues were sporadic communication, non-responsive to commands, etc. You may want to order a new one for troubleshooting purposes. WGL also came out with a "Pro" version but I'm not sure if the plugin supports it. The Pro has hard buttons to activate a relay and leds for status.

Return to “WGL Designs”