Rain8Net just stops responding

lilsmurfman

Rain8Net just stops responding

Postby lilsmurfman » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:06 pm

I have had this problem for months and just cant seem to figure it out

My rain8 will work fine with MLIrrigation and than randomly communication just stops. I verify with the WGL Rain8Net Demo program and it gives an error.

I than remove the power and serial connection, plug it all back in and everything works again for a while, than just goes dead again.

I'm using irrigration 1.1.238 and driver 1.0.422, this same problem has gone on since before the updates.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:22 am

Can you turn on logging in the controller plugin and then when it breaks send us the log so we can review. How long does it take for it to stop responding?
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

lilsmurfman

Postby lilsmurfman » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:40 am

Its been very random, sometimes it takes a day, others less
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:44 am

lilsmurfman,

After reading your first post you said that the WGL does not communicate with the hardware either...which most likely means your hardware could be the issue.

If their program can't communicate with the device, we certainly won't be able too.

One other thing to consider is a faulty or short in the cable.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

lilsmurfman

Postby lilsmurfman » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:45 am

The WGL program stops responding only after mlirrigation has run its course and the rain8net has locked up.

If I dont run mlirrigration, the rain8nets do not lock up.

Is it possible that cable length is to long? I have confirmed no shorts, and re-made the ends. I even tried changing the baud rate to 4800 per the rain8net protocol.

My lengths run around 115 feet over cat5 to arn rj25 6 pin connector from radio shack in the the db9 to rs-232 to and edgeport 8.

Things to note:

I get a far more consistant signal running from the serial port on the pc rather than the edgport. Also When Weatherlobby is enabled I get many dropouts on status request. When I disable I get no dropouts at all, only the usual random crash.

This problem is happening on multiple rain8s (5 of them have been tested now) and on two seperate locations (each in excess of 100 feet) During testing I only run one at a time. Each location and each rain8 does this same thing.

I'm starting to run out of ideas. I'm going to run a basic rain8net scheduler and see if lock ups occur using that.

Any recommendations?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:05 am

You cannot run MLIrrigation and the WGL program together. Only one or the other can talk to the device. This might be the issue.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:51 am

lilsmurfman,

Can you provide us details about your current setup and wiring? Number of Rain8Nets? Etc. Do you have a master valve on each unit? Also, send us your Database.

I'm not sure what the wire length limitations are. You certainly will want to call WGL and check with them on that.

If I dont run mlirrigration, the rain8nets do not lock up.

How are you confirming that it doesn't lock up?
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

lilsmurfman

Postby lilsmurfman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:49 am

I'm not running both together, what I meant by that was after I would notice communication was lost in the log, I would stop the server, open the WGL program and it said the device had the wrong address number. After I "reset" them all is back to normal.

Originally I had 3 units chained in one location using one serial port, and another 2 at a seperate location using a second serial port. After experiencing this problem I tried only one group. The problem still occured so I tried just the other group. I then removed any slave units running just the single unit. The problem still occurs. I than try the other location with just one and still it occurs. I than swap rain8s and etc etc...

What I meant by it doesnt lock up is if I turn off mlirrigation and check the rain8 every couple of days through their program all is still ok. After running mlirrigation sometimes it takes two-three days, sometimes hours and it than locks up.

I'm not trying to say its MLIrrigation causing the problems because I dont see many other users complaining of this problem. I just dont know... but I would love any suggestions for myself and others who may come across this same issue.

Return to “WGL Designs”