Elk M1XSP serial expander

ladiaz

Elk M1XSP serial expander

Postby ladiaz » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:41 am

I just received two M1XSP serial expanders, one for an RCS TR40 thermo and one for rs-232 connection to my Mainlobby server. I configured the M1XSP per instructions in the manual for rs-232 but I cannot connect to the control through the serial ports. Is there a setting on the control that has to be set to allow incoming rs-232 connections through the expanders? I have them both enrolled and even updated the firmware on them, so I know the control sees them. I can connect through the same serial port and cable to the control, so I know the port and cable are correct. I have set the baud rate to 38400, 19200, 9600, etc. and tried everything from the PC side as well, is there something else I'm missing? Oh, and yes, the shorting cap is on 232, not 485. I configured the ELK plugin as well to try and send an ARM command, but that doesn't go through either, anyone have any ideas?

synchroman
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby synchroman » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:18 pm

There is a serial port on the M1 panel... Is this the port you have the MLServer connected to...?

The serial expander is for therostat...

ladiaz

Postby ladiaz » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:33 pm

The M1XSP can function in either 232 or 485 mode, depending on how the shorting caps are placed. I have one configured in 485 mode for my RCS TR40 thermostat and the other is in 232 and configured to be a serial port expander, which is supposed to be a subset of what the main serial port on the control is. I am able to connect to the control through the main port, port 0, but I haven't tried the plugin through that port since I have to use my laptop to connect through that port and I don't have ml3 and the plugin on my laptop. I guess I could put the demo of each on the laptop and try it that way to see if it works, but I've already run the wire and placed the M1XSP by the home theater pc, so I'd like to get that to work. I was under the impression it was supposed to act just like the onboard serial port, so why shouldn't ml3 be able to communicate through it?

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:45 pm

That was not my understanding from talking with Elk when I bought my M1G. I understood that only the main serial port could be used for full-bore control.

I went with the ethernet interface - which uses the main serial port, BTW - and it works great with ML and HS and ElkRM and web control all simultaneously. I'd recommend that approach if the cost isn't overwhelming.

ladiaz

Postby ladiaz » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:54 pm

Thanks for the responses, I think I'm going to go with the Ethernet interface, but I would still like to find out why the plugin wouldn't work through the M1XSP. I know the baud rate is limited to 38,400, but I would think that for sending commands and polling status that it would be enough. If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know...

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:21 pm

As above: I understood that only the main serial port could be used for full-bore control.

This is what I understood from talking with an Elk representative. As I recall, she said that they may add that functionality in the future, but that there are many elements for control that they have not duplicated in the communication bus, which is what would be required for an XSP to work like the main board serial port.

bwally
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby bwally » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:24 pm

gregoryx is correct. the Elk has only one serial port, and that is the only serial port ... only it will give full access to the ElkM1.

don't think of the M1XSP as a serial port ... think of it more as an adaptor that gives serial devices a means to communicate with the elk.
another steve

ladiaz

Postby ladiaz » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:11 pm

Thanks again guys, the more I look into it, the better I'm understanding the limitations. Not a big deal since I will turn around and use the extra M1XSP as a lighting interface in the near future. I've gotten the ethernet interface on order already, just have to patch the cat5 down to the control and I'll be all set.....

ladiaz

Postby ladiaz » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:41 pm

Just wanted to follow up with an update on this issue. As it turns out, you can use the M1XSP as a serial port for use by the Elk plugin. Since the M1XSP contains a "master" serial port as well, you need to use a null modem cable to connect it to the pc. If you are connecting to the onboard serial port, you use a standard serial cable and that is where my problem was. Once I got that clarified, I am now able to send commands to the control. Now on to some other quirks...

ladiaz

Postby ladiaz » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:44 pm

BTW, you are limited to a 38400 baud rate since that is the maximum the 485 bus will allow, but for sending and receiving commands, I would think that would be sufficient. Either way, I had jumped the gun and ordered the ethernet interface anyway, but at least we now know it will work...

remizen

Serial connection

Postby remizen » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Does the last post mean that if I have the M1XSP set to 485 for RCS TR40 therms and connected to the 485 bus, that I can still somehow send and receive commands via the main serial port? I also have the M1XEP attached to my network and the main serial connector.

Return to “Elk Products”