Difference between coolsetpoint and coolsetpointgoal?

bjdraw

Difference between coolsetpoint and coolsetpointgoal?

Postby bjdraw » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:56 pm

I have my ELK setting my HAI thermostat to 85 degrees when I arm away. I am trying to set an automation rule to set it back to 77 degrees an hour before I get home. So I setup a rule that kicks off on time that runs this command.

MLServeCmd.MLELKM1|TS~1~4~77

After it ran on schedule I checked the variable coolsetpoint and it was set to 77, but then later after it polled it was set to 80, when I came home it was still on 80. The other thing I noticed is that the coolsetpointgoal doesn't change.

Is this the correct command to set the TStat to 77 degrees? What is difference between coolsetpoint and coolsetpointgoal? Would it be easier to just set the TSTAT with the ELK, like I am doing when I arm the alarm.

Thanks
Ben Drawbaugh
How good can it be, if it isn't HD?

bjdraw

Postby bjdraw » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:28 am

I really can't believe that no one knows the answer to this question.

It would be very much appreciate if someone from Cinemar could at least comment and tell me they don't know or will ask the person who wrote the plug-in.
Ben Drawbaugh

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:26 am

Does the thermostat have internal scheduling? My TR40 does and has to be disabled so that the thermo doesn't override what MLServer sends it.

When you send that command - does the thermo respond appropriately (just changes back?) that is helpful to know if the plugin is doing what it is suppose to (bethe ELK as well as any link in the chain can be the issue).

bjdraw

Postby bjdraw » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:07 pm

Internal Scheduling is disabled, also it's not set to HOLD. I am currently controlling it with the ELK automation rules which works fine, so it has to be the communications between ML and the ELK.

Yes when I send the command it seems to work, but the next time the Tstat is polled it goes back.

It's just hard to troubleshoot and when I don't know what the variables mean.
Ben Drawbaugh

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:54 pm

Can you post a log of your send of a new temp, and of the thermostat subsequently saying it's now been changed?

bjdraw

Postby bjdraw » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:04 pm

Here is the log, there isn't much to it, despite being set to verbose.

Code: Select all

7/23/2007 6:01:35 PM   CmdReq      MLServeCmd.MLELKM1|TS~1~4~74
7/23/2007 6:01:35 PM   Processing (1)      MLServeCmd.MLELKM1|TS~1~4~74

At the very next poll interval, the coolsetpoint went from 74 to 76, when it was set to 77 before. The coolsetpointgoal stayed at 75.

Another odd thing, when I use the MLServeCmd.MLELKM1|CSPDEC~1 command, the coolsetpoint and the coolsetpointgoal went from 76 to 74. What happened to 75?

Code: Select all

7/23/2007 6:04:41 PM   CmdReq      MLServeCmd.MLELKM1|CSPDEC~1
7/23/2007 6:04:41 PM   Processing (1)      MLServeCmd.MLELKM1|CSPDEC~1

Any subsequent increase or decrease acts as expected, it only seems to happen when the coolsetpoint and coolsetpoingoal start out not equal.

In both tests I put the exact command into the 'send command' window.
Ben Drawbaugh

davevans
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby davevans » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:16 am

Can anyone please explain the difference between these two variables? Dave?

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Re: Difference between coolsetpoint and coolsetpointgoal?

Postby Art Dustman » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:32 pm

Anyone ever figure this out? I have yet to figure out why my setpoints are not working either.

:(

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Re: Difference between coolsetpoint and coolsetpointgoal?

Postby Art Dustman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:12 am

After playing with this for a while, it seems the two are used to sync cinemar to the stat itself. This way if you change one, the other sees the change and syncs up.

Also, after hours of diagnosing here was the problem with the Cinemar---ElKM1G----M1XSP----Aprilaire prot.adapt---8811---8870 stats chain of connections:

I was seeing the temp, sometimes but not consistent. Removing JP3 on the ELK itself helped, but flakey and I could never control the stat. After checkin and recheking jumpers and wiring many times, I decided it had to the the ELK M1XSP messing up. To test this, I figured I would re-load the firmware (or update). Upon trying to update, it failed at 2% all the time. After relaying this to ELK support, the agreed to send a new unit. Well it arrived today and like magic it all works without a hitch.

So... If you have issues, I recommend you verify the follwing:
JP3 (on elk board) must be on if using the databus hub

Be sure to set all jumpers on the serial expander

Run cat-5 from the stat to 8811 panel, and punch down to a cat-5 connector to test the line (no breaks, shorts) then remove and hook it up

Ensure on the 8811 tx and RX switches are ON

Try and control from the elk kp1,kp2 or kp3 first - if this doesn't work the hardware is an issue

The driver is pretty solid, enjoy!

Return to “Elk Products”