Standard iTach or Flex for IR?

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Standard iTach or Flex for IR?

Postby indecision » Thu May 21, 2015 3:56 pm

Anyone have thoughts on using the iTach IP2IR or the iTach Flex for network to IR? Do you prefer one over the other? I assume the both work well with ML?

I have a GC-100-12 but need to add a few more IR control ports. Any other product that you would recommend instead?

Thanks,
Davis

randyf

Re: Standard iTach or Flex for IR?

Postby randyf » Fri May 22, 2015 7:34 am

I'm using the iTach WiFi to IR version connected to a Xantech IR block and it has been working great with no problems. With the WiFi version, I wasn't sure if there would be any lag time but I have not noticed any. I'm also using an IP to Serial device to control my projector, also with no problems. I think if you decide to go with the iTach devices, you should be happy with them.

Randy

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chuck99z28 » Fri May 22, 2015 9:22 am

I have them all. GC-100-12, iTach WiFi and (3) iTach IP2IR.

The WiFI only has one sending port and is a pain to use for learning.

The WIFI still needs a power cord.

The WIFI seems finicky to me.

The IP2IR is my favorite, because I power them off ethernet. Since I'm all hard wired, its just less wall warts to use POE.

The WIFI would probably be best reserved for when you just can't get a hard wired Ethernet connection.

As a side note, my WIFI network is on a different subnet than the control network so the wifi iTach isn't auto discovered.

To me IR Is a pain and I avoid it at all costs.

I wanted to use the WIFI to control some IR fans. But the IR Range isn't good enough to reach across a medium size room. So I ended up using a Niles IRB1, which needed a Niles MSU250 for the high power requirements. So in the end I have a WIFI emitter directly flashing a Niles MS110 sensor, which repeats the signal to the the IRB1 that is positioned in the back of the room. All that stuff is in a closet behind the wall the IRB1 is mounted on. That closet didn't have ethernet drops, so I used the WIFI. But hey, I can control two $80 IR controlled fans, with a couple hundred dollars in IR gear, which can float around the room as needed without needing a second IR cable.

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Sun May 24, 2015 7:58 am

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. I can hardwire so wifi won't be necessary. I am looking at the iTach IP2IR, the iTach Flex, or just adding another GC-100-12 for the greatest flexibility.

I may try the Flex this time around. Seems to get good reviews and 3 addressable IR ports will work for my needs.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu May 28, 2015 6:39 pm

All the GC products have identical protocol so it does not matter to the driver which ones you use.

Return to “Global Cache”