cnn headlines

jjsmd

cnn headlines

Postby jjsmd » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:45 pm

I posted this in the HS forum, but maybe it should go here.

I have cnn headline script in HS populating devices with the headlines as the device status and device string is a link to cnn website with that news article. In HS status page the headline shows up and when it is clicked the websitr opens up.

I would like a ML scene doing the same thing. I put the device code in a button label and the headline shows up, but how can I ling to a weblobby page with the HS device string so that the full article opens up?

Spud

Postby Spud » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:02 am

jjsmd,

Did you ever solve this issue...I'm trying to do the same thing and, like you, have received no replies to my post.

Dennis

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:25 am

Not sure what the question is...is the URL in a Homeseer device string?

Does the URL change regularily?

Why can't you just open the fixed URL in WebLobby, or associate a button to the URL?

Provide a bit more detailed info and maybe there is an answer.

Spud

Postby Spud » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:53 pm

smoothtlk,

I have posted my question in the ML Q & A..perhaps the wrong forum?

I have CNN Headlines up and working fine, posting headlines to my scene. What I would like to do is click a headline button in ML and have that take me to the CNN site to read the detail of the headline. I can click on the headline file, headlineXX.htm, for example, using Windows Explorer. How can I do that in ML or do I need to use WebLobby? I tried to use the FileOpen command to no avail...but then I am really just learning ML/MLS.

I do not know if the URL changes. The headlines change, but the URL may stay the same. I would have to check when I get home.

I appreciate your interest and hope you can help. Be gentle with your reply to this newbe though.

Dennis

cborod
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby cborod » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:35 pm

i get what you're trying to do....the RSS feed gives the headline and a url that is the link. Both appear as ML variables. You'd like to click through the text box which displays the headline and have it bring up the corresponding web page either in fill browser or in a weblobby window.

yes the variables do change. headline and link. I believe the challenge is ML not able to fire a page from the {{var}}

This has come up before and I think the answer was it isn't possible today.

As a workaround, I just place the http://www.cnn.com link in there and see all the page, not just the specific headline,,,,

would be nice though...
ChrisB

Spud

Postby Spud » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:58 am

cborod,

Thanks. I'll give your suggestion a try.

Dennis

Monaca PA

Return to “Homeseer”