Error # 10053

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Error # 10053

Postby rileydog » Wed May 02, 2007 9:20 am

This is a frustrating issue.

For days, my HS ML connection works without any errors or issues.

But, after a few days, I get the following error:

tcpServer_CommError: Error # 10053 - Connection is aborted due to timeout or other failure.

There is only one entry in the log - Then, the plugin on the HS side unchecks "enable this plugin".

I have to manually go to HS and recheck the enable this plugin and it work fine again - for a few days ish... I don't have to restart ML or HS - I just simply check this box and it works fine again.

I have no firewalls running on these machines. Running the latest HS and ML. No Antivirus software. These machines run XP and are dedicated to ML and HS (2 separate machines).

I do send a lot of data between the 2 apps - HS controls my HAI security and ALC system. ML controls the units via this plugin.

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Sat May 05, 2007 8:08 am

Bump - happened again after 2 days. What is frustrating is that the ML side keeps the enable plugin checked and keeps trying to speak to my HS machine - the HS side unchecks the enable this plugin and gives up. Why can't the HS side just keep trying to connect and not just give up which causes me to login to that machine and check the checkbox every 2 days?

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Sat May 05, 2007 10:42 am

For some reason the Windows TCP stack is aborting the connection due to a network failure. You'll need to research this as this is not under control of MLHSPlugin.

MLHSPlugin shuts down to prevent further issues potentially causing HS to crash.

Which version of MLHSPlugin are you using?

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Sat May 05, 2007 4:04 pm

I am using 1.1.6 of the MLHSPlugin and 2.0.0.40 on the HS side.

How do I go about trying to figure this out? Why after 2+ days each time? I check the log and I can't see any event that happens at that time that would make it stop.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat May 05, 2007 5:00 pm

Are you wireless or wired ethernet?

Do you have something on your LAN that is on the same IP / Port as what MLHSPlugin is configured for?

Loose network wire?

overheating switch?

Seems something on your network as amiss.

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Sat May 05, 2007 8:35 pm

It is wired - the 2 machines are right next to each other hooked to a NetGear switch about a foot away - one is 192.168.1.2 and the other is 192.168.1.4 -- I have a lot of data sent from HS -> ML.

As I said, working perfect for 2 days then all of a sudden a single entry in the log with the error... Without fail, I have to click the checkbox 3-4 times per week.

Thanks for your help,

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Sun May 06, 2007 7:06 am

Check that both systems have the latest version of MSINET.OCX in the Windows\System32 directory. This is the control that does the network communication for Windows applications. Earlier versions have caused wierd issues like this.

If possible, you may also want to try to direct connect the two systems via cross over cable. That would eliminate the hub/switch.

I could compile a version of MLHSPlugin that doesn't disable. Past experiences show that HS may crash.

You're probably thinking why don't I rewrite it to do this or that instead of shutting down or disabling. The real problem is that the TCP connection gets dropped or encounters some network error. This is reported by the Windows MSINET.OCX control to MLHSPlugin. There are different ways of handling this, but in order to code workarounds I need to be able to reproduce this type of issue. Unfortunately, I can not reproduce the problem.

We may want to take this over to the HomeSeer MLHSPlugin forum as it then will benefit others in the future.

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Sun May 06, 2007 6:46 pm

OK - on my ML machine, my msinet.ocx is 6.1.97.82

On my HS machine, the version is 6.0.88.62

It looks like 6.1.97.82 is the latest so I just upgraded my HS version - got my fingers crossed! Thanks for the tip!

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Sun May 20, 2007 2:31 pm

Well, it is stopping now every 3 or so days. I don't understand it - any other ideas?

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:05 pm

I may have finally solved this problem - my ML machine was on a different workgroup (MSHOME) as my HS machine (WORKGROUP) - once I put them on the same workgroup, I have been connected without problems for almost 3 weeks! I think (hope) this naging problem is finally behind me. Now, it is off to solve some other "why's?" in ML land.

Return to “Homeseer”