Passing variables to and from HS

syous

Passing variables to and from HS

Postby syous » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:14 pm

I have been researching variables but still need help.

I understand that to pass from ML to HS, I would have to create a virtual device in HS first and then use the mlhs set device value or text to put in/pass the value I want to the virtual device. Let me know if I got this wrong.

However, I am having a problem going the other way. I got the script for the thermostat to run without any errors but I do not know how to get the values of the variables to show in the label for my buttons. I checked the forums but could not find anything.

Thanks
syous

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:07 pm

You would subscribe to that Homeseer house code in the Homeseer side of the MLHSPlugin.

Then, in MainLobby, add a button and put the MLServer variable name (that is created by MLHSPLugin when the Homeseer variable value CHANGES) in the button's label field {{variablename}}

Then, make sure thatbutton has "show value" selected.

In Launch mode, you should see the value. When Homeseer changes that value, then the button's value should update.

syous

I am so confused..

Postby syous » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:49 pm

First, thanks for all the help as usual smoothtlk,

I am confused to say the least. What house code? Do you mean that when I used the script to create variables for temp, cool set point, heat set, etc..., that it would create virtual devices with a house code? Or, is it that the variables are a sub_part of the thermostat device itself?

I looked at the HSplugin configuration page and I do not see the variables. I have already subscribed to the thermostat device but I am not sure what good that is doing me as of right now.

HELP
syous

ricks
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ricks » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:30 pm

Hi syous,

I noticed you mentioned you were running a script for your thermostat. Check the script and see if its creating any devices in HS. I use a HS plugin that creates devices for me such as ]4. If your devices have been created by the script, you should see them in HS's Device/Status page. If so, check the MLHSPlugin config and you should see it there as well. If its there and subscribed you can then go to ML, open a button and in the label field type {{MLHSPlugin_]4}} or whatever house code your device was assigned by your script.

If the script does not create devices for you, you can edit your script to have it create HS devices for you using hs.SetDeviceString. Check out the HS help section on scritping if unsure.

Once you've created the HS device then subscribe it in MLHSPlugin and do as described above.

Should work. Hope this helps.

Rick

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:34 pm

Syous:

Please answer the questions that I have posted at the HomeSeer message forum. This is my 3rd time requesting the same information:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.ph ... post756463

syous

Is it supposed to be this hard?

Postby syous » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:47 am

Ricks,
Thanks for the reply.

Is it just me or does that seem like a lot of work? I am trying this for a test with just one thermostat but I will have to use 4 for the client once I get it to work. That would be a lot of devices to create. I also saw another post for a guy that wanted 19 thermostats. I feel sorry for him.

To answer your question, NO I am not creating the devices although that kinda makes sense now. However, wouldn't be easier to use the script to just issue a mlserver command to creat the variables in ML?

I just can't believe this is so complicated.

Thanks again.
syous

Return to “Homeseer”