Homeseer devices from ELK-M1G via ELK plugin

sandman

Homeseer devices from ELK-M1G via ELK plugin

Postby sandman » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:43 pm

Hi ALL

I've currently got a mixture of I/O hanging off my ELK-M1G and Homeseer system and I want to clean it up and put all of the I/O on the ELK and have status's sent to HOMESEER.

I believe the ELK plugin for HOMESEER has an issue with creating more than 99 codes (which I believe is a limitation of HOMESEER) under the one device... I think that terminology is correct.

If I put all of my I/O onto the ELK, I will have around 64 inputs and 64 outputs which goes beyond the capability of the HS<-> ELK plugin.

As a result, I am thinking of having the ELK talk to the Mainlobby plugin and then using the HS ML plugin to get the device/codes out to Homeseer from Main Lobby. Does anyone have an idea if this will work correctly with this number of inputs/outputs ?

If I were to setup housecodes in HS as a result of devices present on Main lobby, will these autocreate or do I need to setup some type of virtual device on HS and have ML update the state of the HS virtual devices. Hope this makes sense as I've only ever created the device on HS and sent the data to ML....

Cheers..Peter

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:24 am

Send me private mail and let's chat about it. There are a few things to consider whether or not you use either system as primary.

While the Cinemar plugin is a lot more feature rich, the HomeSeer plugin source code is now publically released. All depends on which system you want to control the Elk.

I myself have added the ethernet module to the ELK and now have both HomeSeer and MLServer talking to the Elk. Works well, but I do not have as many I/O connections as you do. The i/o limitations with the HomeSeer plugin could be easily changed to accomondate your needs by using multiple house codes. You may want to contact Mark Lyons with a feature change, otherwise the source code is now available.

kevind
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kevind » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:17 am

Krumpy,

Do you recomend using MainLobby or HS as the primary plugin? As you know I use Homeseer for a primary behind the scenes control. Next question about the elk plugin is for irrigation control. I was thinking of using the Ocelot Secu16 to control irrigation valves but it looks like the Elk will do it...what's your take?

Kevin Dennehy

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:39 am

Kevin,

I would recommend using the Rain8Net for irrigation.

It would seem fairly complicated to setup scheduling using the Elk.
Check out the screenshots of our Rain8Net. It's pretty cool because users can visually see the time left on the zone and the complete watering cycle.

Ideally at some point, we can modify our MLIrrigation Family plugin to support controlling the Elk relays...that would be pretty sweet.

EDIT: Actually just thought of a simple way that we could modify our Irrigation Family plugin to support any device including the ELK. We could develop a driver that just sends MLServeCmd's for On and Off for each zone. Once configured, they could use the Elk or any other relay capable device to control irrigation and have all the scheduling capabilities of the Irrigation plugin.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:48 pm

One of the disadvantages of not using a Rain8Net, is that the Rain8Net includes internal timers for MAX watering time. This is important if the communcations / control system is not up and running so that the irrigation system doesn't flood your neighbor.
Something to think about...

kevind
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kevind » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:07 pm

Thanks guys. That's why these forums are geat...this is usually already a great solution :)

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:21 pm

Like I said earlier, I have both HomeSeer and MLServer connected to the ELK. I was planning on having the ELK control the sprinkler system this summer.

Mario's idea earlier in the thread seems very cool and would also be very interested in seeing a open (via MLServeCMD's) implementation of MLIrregation.

Return to “Homeseer”