Com Port Above 16

MurrayW
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Com Port Above 16

Postby MurrayW » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:57 pm

This is not quite a problem yet, but I am soon to be up to #15 on my com ports. MLGenericDevice can use numbers above 16. Can this plugin be modified to support com port numbers above 16?

thanks,
Murray

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:01 pm

That is something we had internal discussions on, but no active development work (for MLGD). Most MainLobby plugins will not support over 16. Are you sure MLGD supports over 16? Or, does the UI just appear that it supports over 16.... MLNetCallerID falls into this trap...shows over 16, doesn't support over 16.

You have that many serial devices? yikes.

A workaround is a second PC with a zero client mlserver to share the com and processing load. Redirect commands and var creation back to the primary server.

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:03 pm

DavidL wrote:That is something we had internal discussions on, but no active development work (for MLGD). Most MainLobby plugins will not support over 16. Are you sure MLGD supports over 16? Or, does the UI just appear that it supports over 16.... MLNetCallerID falls into this trap...shows over 16, doesn't support over 16.

You have that many serial devices? yikes.

A workaround is a second PC with a zero client mlserver to share the com and processing load. Redirect commands and var creation back to the primary server.
I thought I read it somewhere on this board, but maybe I just looked at the UI. I could be close to the 16 limit if I was controlling everything that could be controlled by serial...that is why I was asking about the volume licensing that you had mentioned in the MLGenericDevice forum. Piecing parts together to has led to the following serial devices:

Code: Select all

1. Firecracker (turns on and off the bias backlight mounted behind my LCD TV -- the extent of my current lighting control).
2.  Monitoring my APC UPS backup
3.  DirecTV HD DVR1
4.  DirecTV HD DVR2
5.  DirecTV HD DVR3
6.  Sharp LCD TV
7.  Yamaha 2500 Receiver
8.  Key Digital Video Scaler
9.  Audio Authority AVAtrix
10. Zektor component matrix switch
11. NetCaller ID
12. Rain8Net
13. Pioneer DVD player
14. XM Direct Radio
15. Vaux Lattis audio matrix switch

Murray

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:10 pm

We have a serial control that allows for up to 256 comm ports on a PC. The MLCX777ES, MLCallerID and MLNetCallerID plugins have been modifed to use this control. MLGD might use this control too? The MLYamaha plugin could be modified to use this control but that is a task that has to go onto the list.

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:17 am

CinemarDave wrote:We have a serial control that allows for up to 256 comm ports on a PC. The MLCX777ES, MLCallerID and MLNetCallerID plugins have been modifed to use this control. MLGD might use this control too? The MLYamaha plugin could be modified to use this control but that is a task that has to go onto the list.
I am not sure how difficult it is to modify them, but if it is not too difficult, it might be something to put on the list whenever a plugin is being modified for some other reason. I am sure that there is not too much of a demand for this, and with MLNetCallerID having already had this modification, I still have a 3 more devices I could add before running into trouble. :lol:

Thanks for the information.
Murray

Return to “Yamaha”