Where are settings kept?

MurrayW
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Where are settings kept?

Postby MurrayW » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:40 pm

My MLServer motherboard died on me so I am building a new MLServer PC. I have the drive that my MLServer folder was on and I am trying to restore as much as I can without having to start from scratch. I downloaded MLYamaha to the new drive on the new MLServer PC, then unregistered MLYamaha.dll, deleted it, and searched for any more MLYamaha.dlls's on my C drive (didn't find any). I then copied over the MLYamah.dll from my original drive, registered it and opened MLServer. All the tabs were blank when I went into the MLYamaha plugin (just like it was for the fresh install).

Where are my previous settings (com port, serial settings max volumne, triggers, etc. kept? I searched for any other files named *Yamaha* and did not find anything else.

thanks,
Murray

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:02 pm

The settings are probably kept in the Windows Registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cinemar
Somewhere in there.

MLServer3 has the ability to backup this registry hive to a file for backup and import into a new PC.

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:25 pm

smoothtlk wrote:The settings are probably kept in the Windows Registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cinemar
Somewhere in there.

MLServer3 has the ability to backup this registry hive to a file for backup and import into a new PC.
Unfortunately, my motherboard was not cooperative when it decided to die and didn't give me an opportunity to backup my registry. Is there a way to get into the registry settings on a drive that is no longer your boot drive?

thanks,
Murray

Pinnace0

Postby Pinnace0 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:00 pm

Murray,

I asked my trusty IT department how they would access a windows registry when the drive was not the active boot drive. They recommended you use a program called "Bart's PE" to prepare a boot disk. To edit the registry you will need a plug-in called “Registry Editor PE v0.9c. “ These programs are freeware and easily googled

Opinions are mixed on whether this is a difficult or simple process

HTH

Craig

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:03 pm

Murray,
the version of MLServer about to be released has a complete backup function that regularily will pull the registry entries and then zip all of the configuration files and store them to a zip file with dateing. Sorry it wasn't out when you needed it.

Looks like Craig has a good find (thanx!):

http://regeditpe.sourceforge.net/

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:49 pm

Pinnace0 wrote:Murray,

I asked my trusty IT department how they would access a windows registry when the drive was not the active boot drive. They recommended you use a program called "Bart's PE" to prepare a boot disk. To edit the registry you will need a plug-in called “Registry Editor PE v0.9c. “ These programs are freeware and easily googled

Opinions are mixed on whether this is a difficult or simple process

HTH

Craig
Thanks Craig for doing that for me. I may take a look at it, but in reality, there were only a few Yamaha settings and I think I got those back in there. If there are other things that I determine I need, I might give it a try.

thanks,
Murray

Return to “Yamaha”