Time again...GC100 and MLYamaha

monteourdog

Time again...GC100 and MLYamaha

Postby monteourdog » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:40 pm

Hello all,

Spending the day on my system - trying to connect the GC100 to a Yamaha 5990 with little success. Here is the setup:

From a computer with ML and MLS (everything up to date) - I enter "MLServeCmd.MLYamaha|Status~1" - nothing (no variables updated).

I enter "MLServeCmd.MLYamaha|Z1Power~Toggle~1" - Power comes ON but straight away, MLYamaha reports back that the power is OFF (variable)...but it is actually ON (in real life) and every future press of this same command, only issues an ON command to the 5990.

The 5990 is connected to a GC100 and can be identified via the network. I have ran the GC100 utility and can confirm full communication. Also, I have connected the 5990 directly to the "server" machine and no problems - everything updated and controlled as it should.

The GC100 plugin has been kept ON and OFF at different times today with no change.

I have read that you cannot use both plugins (GC100 and Yamaha) at the same time. But there is an entire tab in the Yamaha plugin on setting up "8" Yamaha receivers to various GC100's.

Perhaps one might be using the GC100 to send an IR signal to the Yamaha?? But why...

If someone could be so kind as to explain what is meant by the several quotes in this forum - sorry never bothered to save the links...nor the exact wording 8-[ about 'you cannot not use the MLGC100 and MLYamaha plugin at the same time'.

Or another way to ask the same question:
I have a 5990 Yamaha connected to a GC100/12 which is connected to my switch which is connected my server. How make go?

Or perhaps this one:
Is this right: "MLServeCmd.MLYamaha|Status~1"

Help [-o<

monteourdog

Postby monteourdog » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:02 pm

More from above.

I hope there are a few people who read my first message who are thinking about this topic. I had a chance today to play with a few more things and I can offer this additional information...perhaps Bob is ready this....:-k

When I issue "MLServeCmd.MLYamaha|Z1Power~Toggle~1", the 5990 will turn on, the variable "{{yamaha_1_z1power}}" will change to "On" but then in about 1-second, change to "Off" (yet the 5990 is still on).

If I then manually change the variable it to "On", then the same command will now turn the 5990 off and the variable will also change to "off".

I have control of the 5990 otherwise, all commands seem to work.

"Status", on the other hand...will change the variable to "Off" and the 5990 is actually physically ON (consuming power). The 5990 will remain ON...but the varilable will now read "Off".

Sounds to me like the "status" command is not reading everything correctly through the GC100 or ???

Hoping to hear from anyone...even if all you want to say is "your cats breath smells like cat food"....:)

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:11 pm

Without having any hands on with a Yamaha, have you tried to eliminate the GC from the mix and run a serial direct wire instead? ie: move the PC or move the yamaha or build a long serial wire out of a spool of ethernet cable and correct ends?

Have you tried a different serial cable out of the GC?

monteourdog

Postby monteourdog » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:34 pm

Smoothtlk,

Yes, as mentioned in my first message, serial cable direct to server operates the 5990 correctly. I assumed from this that the null modem cable is the correct cable.

Now here is a thought...null modem cable used when connecting the Yamaha amp directly to an rs232 port on the back of a machine...perhaps when connected to the GC100...one should use a normal cable?

monteourdog

Postby monteourdog » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:51 pm

Nobody commenting on this thread...does that mean no one has had any luck controlling a Yamaha amp from a GC100?

Pinnace0

Re: Time again...GC100 and MLYamaha

Postby Pinnace0 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:23 pm

monteourdog wrote:Hello all,

....I have read that you cannot use both plugins (GC100 and Yamaha) at the same time. But there is an entire tab in the Yamaha plugin on setting up "8" Yamaha receivers to various GC100's.

Perhaps one might be using the GC100 to send an IR signal to the Yamaha?? But why...

If someone could be so kind as to explain what is meant by the several quotes in this forum - sorry never bothered to save the links...nor the exact wording 8-[ about 'you cannot not use the MLGC100 and MLYamaha plugin at the same time'....

I have a 5990 Yamaha connected to a GC100/12 which is connected to my switch which is connected my server. How make go?

Help [-o<

Your GC100 hardware can either use the Global Cache plug-in or the Yamaha plugin. The hardware cannot use both plugins at the same time. This was confirmed by the designer of Yamaha plug-in Bob (Rlindblad)

If you want to use Global plug-in and the Yamaha plugin, you will need two Global Cache GC100 units.

BTW, If your Yamaha is reasonably close to your server I would reccomend plugging the Yamaha directly into the server and avoid GC hardware altogether. In the end this is what I did and it works very well.

Craig

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:31 am

So if I use a GC unit with Yamaha plugin I cant use any of the other ports on the GC, this means buying two GC units per zone, even though I have a free serial port on the existing GC devices which I was planning to contoll the Yamaha receiver with?

Surely this is a bug in the plugin that needs fixing?

After all I can use other plugins and they dont interfere with the Global Cache plugin. My autopatch plugin doesn't render the other ports on the GC redundant, nor does my MLGenericDevice?

The ports #s are even different for each port on the Global Cache device.

froaye

Re: Time again...GC100 and MLYamaha

Postby froaye » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:36 am

Pinnace0 wrote:
monteourdog wrote:Hello all,

....I have read that you cannot use both plugins (GC100 and Yamaha) at the same time. But there is an entire tab in the Yamaha plugin on setting up "8" Yamaha receivers to various GC100's.

If someone could be so kind as to explain what is meant by the several quotes in this forum - sorry never bothered to save the links...nor the exact wording 8-[ about 'you cannot not use the MLGC100 and MLYamaha plugin at the same time'....

Help [-o<

Your GC100 hardware can either use the Global Cache plug-in or the Yamaha plugin. The hardware cannot use both plugins at the same time. This was confirmed by the designer of Yamaha plug-in Bob (Rlindblad)

If you want to use Global plug-in and the Yamaha plugin, you will need two Global Cache GC100 units.

BTW, If your Yamaha is reasonably close to your server I would reccomend plugging the Yamaha directly into the server and avoid GC hardware altogether. In the end this is what I did and it works very well.

Craig

Just a little clarification here...Do I not need the GC plugin to run all other modules(IR and Relays)? Is this accurate that the yamaha plugin cannot operate with the GC plugin running? Where is the Yammy plugin developer on this...since its not free?

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:34 am

My assumption is that you can use both plugins, however the Yamaha plugin only works with a dedicated Global Cache unit, i.e one not using the GC plugin. So the other ports on the GC unit are no longer usable by other devices.

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:36 am

I re-read a lot of Yamaha threads last night and I'm not sure this is correct, the Yamaha plugin should work like all the other plugins. I believe what the developer said was you can't have two plugins accessing the same GC port, this is no diferent to a com port. I'll clarify once my receiver turns up this weekend.

Pinnace0

Postby Pinnace0 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:34 am

Kgudge,

I hope you can get both to work at the same time. That would be helpful

For the record, here is what the developer posted regarding using both plugins (Yamaha/GC100) at the same time.

You can't use both plugins simultaneously to control the same device, in this case the GC100.

Good luck O:)

Craig

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:14 pm

Will give it a whirl when the Yamaha turns up. Seems those serial-ethernet adaptors also work, so that is the backup plan.

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:36 pm

Got my RX-V1500 today at last!

Well GC100 control seems OK, full two way control with a couple of exceptions. Power on can only be done via Z1 power command. This also does not update power variable. z2 and z3 work by switching those zones on or off only if device is already powered, again power variables dont get updated.

Need to go back to a local serial port and verify power variables get updated correctly.

However I seem to have full control, I can switch inputs and modes, turn the device on/off etc.

Changing contol/inputs or modes from the device is updating the server variables correctly.

Late now so will have to wait until tomorrow for a full work-out, also need to design a two way scene for my new toy!

P.S This amp is very impressive with movies. I have plugged it in to replace a DSP-A595 and Rotel RB985 THX power amp. It sounds phenominal! Black hawk down (fav test disk) never sounded this good with my old setup. Will try this with the Rotel tomorrow to see if it is the processor or the amps.
DVDLobby, MuL, JRMC, TV Lobby, DVD Profiler.

Return to “Yamaha”