question for a Russound pro

michael(fl)

question for a Russound pro

Postby michael(fl) » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:01 pm

I still haven't pulled the tigger yet to purchase a Russound multiroom yet and with the new plugin update, what are the differences between CAV6.6 and C-Series?

I have studied the Multiroom System Comparison Chart on the Russound website, but i am not sure really sure what they are. It looks like C-Series has more input/outputs but doesn't support video. Do i understand that correctly?

Any suggestions welcomed.

thanks,
michael

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Re: question for a Russound pro

Postby bigDvette » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:01 pm

C series does not support video.

The C series does have a built in AM/FM tuner.

The C series says it is 40W per channel but a sub note in the manual says that it is 2 channels at full power and 10 at 1/8th power, which would seem to mean, 1 zone is 40W/channel and the remaining 5 amplified zones are 5W/channel. The CAV 6.6 is 20W per channel across all 6 zones

The CAV has A-Bus expandability. I used an A-Bus zone to extend off my master in to the master bath. It is the same soure in both, but I can manually adjust volume in the bath and have the bath on while the bedroom is off.

The C series has many more 12V triggers for each source and has nicer looking stock keypads.

The C series also has an ethernet port for the future, but who knows how it will be used.

michael(fl)

Postby michael(fl) » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:01 pm

Thanks for the info. I was orignally interested in the CAV6.6 and I wasn't thinking about using it for video distribution, mainly because the structure cabling for audio and video are in two different areas of the house. After further review and studying, it looks like i could use two CAV6.6 (one audio - one video) connected via CAT5.

Do I understand that correctly?

As for the A-Bus that is interesing for the masterbedroom and gargage. Not really worried about the AM/FM - I was going to add the AM/FM/XM-Sirius later.

thanks,
michael

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:35 pm

Seems a bit like overkill to me. I have my cav6.6 (I'm not using video, but CAM and C series didn't exist 8 years ago) in 1 location and all my video switching is done using an AVATRIX for Component and a 4x4 HDMI switch for HDMI wired to rooms over cat6.

The issue is one of source components. If you wire 2 CAVs together, you still have to get the source audio to 1 and the video to the other CAV. Now what I did for rooms I want to use a video source played through speakers hooked to the Multi Room audio CAV is run audio from my rack (all video equipment there) to the CAV using a single cat5 balun. Actually what I've done is use a cheap balun to send the L/R audio and the composit video to the CAV. Now the one thing I had where my CAV is, was a couple of extra pieces of COAX. So what I did is bought some inexpensive modulators and I modulate the video output for say the garage on to an unused cable channel and tune the non-hi-def TV in the garage to channel 68 to see the video.

for rooms with HD TVs (bedroom, theater, gameroom, office), I send the Audio and Video over dual cat 5 (quad if I have HDMI there) to the room from my AVATRIX and 4x4 HDMI switch. I then have tapped in to the speaker wire in that room with an Audio Authority speaker sensing switch, so I can play the TV over the speakers in the room. It is all very confusing and not optimum, but I didn't initally put in the speakers in this house. I've considered pulling new speaker wire from where the CAV is to my rack and just hooking it all up in the rack, but getting wire to that location is not simple.

PM me if you want to chat by phone as it may be easier if you have some questions. it is easy to make a wrong move with this stuff.

KW1816

Postby KW1816 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Russound do the matching video matrix - the VM1 http://www.russound.com/pdf/brochures/VM1_Brochure.pdf.
I think I get what you're trying to do, have the audio (CAV6.6) in one location and the video (VM1) in another, linked together via the RNET ports, which should work.

I looked into the VM1 a while ago and seem to remember that it switches sources to match the CAV when connected. In the end I went another route due to budget limitations :(

kgingerich
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgingerich » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:57 pm

if i remember right the VM1 doesn't give you local sound, just video. So at your wallplates you will only get a video feed and have to rely on all sound coming out of your ceiling speakers. That's why i went with the avatrix as well.

Return to “Russound”