Multiple CAV Varible Question

Bago
Intermediate
Intermediate

Multiple CAV Varible Question

Postby Bago » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:00 pm

I have 2 CAV6.6 hooked together with RNet. The RS232 cable is connected to the first unit using CAV 3.9.88 plugin on port 5. I get variables for unit 1, but not unit 2. If I issue an all on/off command, I can control both units so I know RNet is sending the command.

I have selected the "initialize MLServer variables on load" button for both units, but only have variables for the first unit

Do I need 2 serial connections?

Barry

Bago
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Bago » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:25 pm

I still need assistance with this.

What I have done however is verify that my 2 CAV's were set to id 1 & 2 - which they are.

If I use 2 RS232 cables on port 5 and 6, variables are populated for the second unit, but when I try to control the second units zones, the variables for unit 1 are changed even though the zones on unit 1 are off.

So my first question is should I be using a single RS232 or two?

Second question - I also have an ST2 on the RNet, could this be creating a problem?

Question three - what do I do next?

Bago
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Bago » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:56 pm

Why is it that nobody can tell me if I need more then one RS232 wire for 2 CAV6.6's?

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:12 pm

Bago,

I know Dave was working on an update (currently in beta) to the Russound plugin to support the RNET between units. I've requested him to look at this thread to provide more details on the status.

The public version requires a Serial connection to each unit.

What version are you running?

I'm currently controlling 2 Cav units without problems.

R U using default scenes? Have you looked at the docs to make sure you are specifying which controller you want to control in your commands?
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

Bago
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Bago » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:57 pm

I am using 3.9.88.

I have no problem with 2 cables, but I thougt I only needed 1.

I don't know why it took so long to get an answer to this simple question, but I at least now I know.

Thanks

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:27 am

Version 3.9.88 of the plugin which is the latest production version requires that each CAV have it's own dedicated serial connection. The latest version of the plugin is version 3.10.8 and it can be found in the beta folder in the downloads section.

This version of the plugin is the one that supports multiple CAVs connected via RNet. One serial connection is required to the primary CAV. Note: DO NOT simply upgrade your production MLServer to this plugin. I strongly suggest you stage this on a test server before putting it into production to make sure everything will work in your enviroment. One thing that is required with this version is that you must set each of the internal CAV IDs to unique values. 1,2...6.

I have received good feedback from the users who are on this version of the plugin but it needs more proven testing in the field.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Multiple CAV's

Postby DaveB » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:26 am

Hi Guys;
Sorry I have been out of touch a bit on the Russound Drivers, but do have a few questions. I have an implementation coming up in 2 weeks for a customer with multiple CAV's.
Is the current version of the driver (3.10.11 I think) Set up for multiple units via one serial connection to only unit number 1? If that is the case, does the driver automatically pick up the fact that there are 2 units and now 12 zones available, or do you need to define 2 units in the driver setup screen?
The system will also include an ST2S; I know that is a different thread, but has the beta driver (I think still beta) been tested on the "S" unit as well or only on the ST2? ("S" is the Sirius unit)
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:56 am

You will still have to define each CAV in the database.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:08 am

You'll only need one serial connection to your primary cav. Then use cat5/RNET to daisy chain the remaing cav units.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:29 pm

Dave, there is a MLSirius plugin that you will need for the ST2Sirius.
Still in Alpha.

chrismd77
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chrismd77 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:07 pm

Was there any answer to the orginal question. I am in the same boat.

I have 2 CAV6.6 hooked together with RNet. The RS232 cable is connected to the first unit using CAV 3.10.39 plugin. I get variables for unit 1, but not unit 2. If I issue an all on/off command, I can control both units so I know RNet is sending the command.

I have selected the "initialize MLServer variables on load" button for both units, but only have variables for the first unit.

Is there instuctions on how to set up two Cav units? Any help would be great.

Chris

chrismd77
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chrismd77 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:36 pm

I got it. Maybe I missed it but you have to make sure the russound controllers are set to its own ID WITHIN the controller itself NOT the plugin.

Chris

Return to “Russound”