Take-out menus

Tell others how you're using MainLobby.
beerguy

Take-out menus

Postby beerguy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:31 am

Hi -
I'm starting to work on a new setup for our newly remodeled house. This time around we have a couple of touchscreens for easy access to ML, etc. My wife came up with what I thought was a pretty cool idea. Could we scan in all of our take-out restaurant menus so we didn't have to dig through the junk drawer to find the one we were looking for.

Anyone all ready done this? What ML product would work best for displaying a multi-page document (pdf, jpg, etc) and being able to sort by restaurant name or type of food?

Thanks,

Pat

lathanm
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby lathanm » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:00 pm

I haven't done it for ML but it sounds pretty simple.

Scan the menus as jpegs and size them to fit the scene. Then create a loader screen with a list of either the different menus or restaurants. For each entry use the dynamic loader to change the image being displayed using the SetVariable command. There is an example of this in the ml2.75_newfeatures.mls scene.

This verison would be presorted but to do dynamic sorting you may be able to use either MLConditional or DVDquery to set up a DB with all the menu items on it so a person can select main course> Fish and have it display the restaurants that have fish on the menu.
Hacker /n./ One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.

Pass the popcorn, the movie is starting!

http://project2501.tzo.com/gallery/automation
http://project2501.tumblr.com

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:28 pm

... and if you get REALLY ambitious, I've got a working "photo album" that would automatically build the list of JPGs to view (not as a menu, but as a "flip through"). I'm talking REALLY ambitious, though... it's a major PITA of advanced ML "programming" to figger it out.

Better method: use the J-Album software to build a thumbnail-based web menu system and use the MLServer web server to serve it to the clients.

J-Album is discussed elsewhere here... search for "photo album".

rtarver

Weblobby solution

Postby rtarver » Sun May 11, 2008 6:47 pm

Not sure if you're still working this project. My wife and I have the same problem... solved it with a screen and Weblobby. Buttons for each restaurant of interest send an html link to a web window on the page.

Russ[/img]

bog

Postby bog » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:47 am

I think the idea of archiving takeout and delivery menus is a great idea. Good tip.

jjjukebox
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby jjjukebox » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:42 am

Look for the Reccipe post somewhere. It is written in perl and displays jpg's also. Might be able to change it somewhat to use.

The only problem will be the size when displayed. May be too small.

Wondering if utilizing WebLobby will maybe let you scroll down a jpg thus allow you to view it at a readable size.

Just a thought.
J.J. Jukebox

Return to “How are you using MainLobby?”