What's the best Touchscreen remote for ML?

Tell others how you're using MainLobby.
Wysocki
Intermediate
Intermediate

What's the best Touchscreen remote for ML?

Postby Wysocki » Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:43 pm

I have a Progear with Win98 and Mainlobby controlling my HTPC. Except for the aggravating issue of non-discreet IR toggles on a lot of my equipment (there oughta be a law!), it pretty much handles my entire system well. A big issue for me though, is that it runs too slow. I have to wait a couple of seconds for the commands to take and my houseguests don't understand this delay and poke at a button six times before it responds (six times). What devices are others using out there and what are their pros and cons? My Progear cost about $600 and it looks good but speed is a real problem to me.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:52 am

Terry,

First, make sure you are using MLServer instead of native Girder support within MainLobby.

Second, you may want to check out this application Cinemar now carries:
http://www.cinemaronline.com/3rdparty.w ... verxp.html

Talk about night and day performance on the ProGear. I couldn't believe the speed at which it is able to push on the ProGear and best of all, it doesn't lock out the Server console!

It really turns the ProGear into a lean mean processing machine. :)
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:07 am

Terry,

I'd have to agree that properly integrated with MainLobby Server (on a nice meaty machine), the Progears are actually quite capable of delivering the goods. Even my Toshiba e740 Pocket PC manages to send commands as quick as any remote I've ever used via communcation with MLServer.

As Mario also mentioned, one way to speed things up is the use of a Remote Desktop solution with a Progear (WinXP/2003 Server/VNC or a third party solution) that will also yield a dramatic result.

If, by chance you're still using ieventc.exe to send commands, you NEED to run to MLServer and the girder plug-in. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. It will improve response time by a factor of 10 at least.

Dan

K-Wood
Intermediate
Intermediate

Related question . . .

Postby K-Wood » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:01 pm

If you're using Thinsoft to remote desktop into MainLobby on the HTPC, and you start to play a movie on the HTPC, what does the remote desktop (airpanel, another pc, etc.) display? Does it stay with MainLobby/DVDLobby?

In other words, the main display show only the overlay, while the desktop remains fully accessible on the remote display, correct?

Is this also true of WinXP, or true only with Thinsoft's WinConnect?

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:10 pm

If you're using Thinsoft to remote desktop into MainLobby on the HTPC, and you start to play a movie on the HTPC, what does the remote desktop (airpanel, another pc, etc.) display? Does it stay with MainLobby/DVDLobby?

Ken,
Yes - the Airpanel/other could still display MainLobby/DVDLobby while the HTPC is displaying TheaterTek and playing a movie while using ThinSoft's app.

If you were just using RemoteDesktop wtihout ThinSoft, the HTPC wouldn't display anything but the option to login. Hence the advantages of ThinSoft's application.

Make sense?

Think of the connected client as an entirely different computer on the network that has the same hard drive as your HTPC. :)
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

K-Wood
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby K-Wood » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:04 pm

Mario:

That's a helpful analogy. I'm still firming up my final plans for control, but Thinsoft sounds like it might be a part of the final solution. If nothing else, it would make it easier to handle routine configuration/updating tasks of the HTPCs using my workstation.

Thanks,
Ken

Wysocki
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Wysocki » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:42 pm

Ok, I guess I'll have to finally fire up MLserver. I've been putting it off, waiting for the beta blues to settle, as well as the documentation to congeal into one place. There've been a lot of posts about MLserver but is there ONE place I can find setup, configuration, and usage information on it and what it can do?

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:56 pm

Terry,

There is not a single place, because like MainLobby it's not a tangible. Every circumstance is so different; however, download and install. Pay particular attention to the components page and decide which ones you want to install (you can always add later). Then it's really just a matter of starting the server, setting a port and listening for connections. I'm, of course, oversimpifying for effect - but we're here for any roadblocks along the way.

Documentation will follow...I swear.

Dan

DILA

Postby DILA » Sat May 15, 2004 4:19 pm

Trying to get some feedback on different configurations of progear and server. I have P4 1.8 micro case with 30G and DVD-ROM running XP. This will run 232 control of denon receiver, firecracker for X-10 and slink-e for control-a of 3 CD and 2 DVD changers and IR for satellite, VCR's etc. I will not be using it for HTPC. Trying to figure out best setup for controlling with progear.

1. Load everything on server, link to it with RDP.

2. Load everything on server and connect with winconnect.

3. load lobby apps on progear, MLS on server, connect using TCP.

Anyone tried any of these configs and if so which was the fastest? Since I have 500 DVD's and 800 CD's it seems that from a data transfer view it would be best to go with number 3 and load all the images on the porgear.
Connection between the 2 will be 54g in an ad-hoc setup. Also did the OS on the progear affect the speed/response, at present I have Win98SE on the progear stripped with 98lite and with 128meg it seems ok. Any ideas or suggestions received with enthusiasm :)

thanks

Bob

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat May 15, 2004 10:23 pm

I don't have a Progear, but from many threads here, it seems the hot ticket for Progear's is to Thinsoft them to a faster server. The other alternative is XPPro XP2 w/ registry hack and older .dll trick posted here and elsewhere to enable 2 concurrant sessions.

Seems unanimous that the Progear is pretty slow but crisper when used RDP on a fast server. I also wouldn't want to load all image files on the progear - load them on the server.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sat May 15, 2004 11:37 pm

I'm going to put in a vote for Progear without Thinsoft.

Yes, it's faster in RDP/Thinsoft, but I've had no speed complaints or issues with remote control - only slight delays in loading a scene or updating thumbnails; that could probably be solved if I was willing to put in a 54Mb wireless card.

Six of them around the house; babysitters, kids, friends, family, even my wife find them easy enough and fast enough that they don't complain.

I run XP Pro on my Progears. It is as fast or faster than Win98 once appropriately prepared.

The stability and simplicity of native ML on every PG seems hard to beat.

kevind
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kevind » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:07 pm

V110 Airpanels and the new V210 AirSyncs (wireless G plus better encryption) from Viewsonic. There's a post here and over at Homeseer about setting these up properly. I have 3 using Thinsoft and 3 wireless access points (1 per floor) and 2 in my ski shack.

Have had to reboot one of them only once in 3 months now. Completely stable and fast. Highly recomend these units. Looking into the V150s for fixed flush wall mount option.

IMPORTANT: You must set them up properly or you'll get disconnect issues.

Here's the thread:

http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=103028&page=2

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Postby jpimentel » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:05 am

My 2cents says the Golden West Equipment (formerly KuBe) 10.4" wireless panels are tough to beat. They are priced right, perform well (under RDP cuz they are CE.net devices) and are very robust devices.

I know an excellent vendor too :wink:
Regards,

John

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:24 pm

Talk about reviving an old thread. :P

I find it funny to see my post about acceptable performance on the Progear tablets. :roll: That was probably about the time I started rewriting my ML scenes using the new ML platform at the time. The performance of the Progears became unacceptable very quickly.

FWIW, I now have three Fujitsu 3500X units (plus a loaner I need to return now :wink:) and they're working very well for <$400 each with docking station.

I'm still using a few of the Progear units as security camera monitors (three sets of four cams on Axis severs running on my desk here at home now), but that's about all I see for them in the future... and slow deaths. :?

RDP... yeah, I guess... I still like native. :)

jeffx
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jeffx » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:15 pm

I just bought a Fujitsu Stylistic 3400s (wanted the "S" model for outdoor viewability)--can be found on ebay for about $150. Should have it tomorrow, can't wait to load Mainlobby on it.

Specs:

W2k
192 MB RAM
P!!! 400 MHz
HAL2000 - JRMC 11 - ML3 - MuL3 - NetRemote Pro 1 - Insteon - M-Audio Delta 410 - Sonic Impact T-Amps - Honeywell Security

Return to “How are you using MainLobby?”