dbarker

component video

Postby dbarker » Sat May 14, 2005 11:37 am

on the back of my plasma monitor i have 2 component video inputs
component 1 = 480I/480p
component 2 = 480p/720p/1080i

i don't know what these numbers mean. however if i plug my yamaha
reciever into component 1 everthing works good

but if i plug it into component 2 i get no signal.

can anyone guide me to where i can get some info on this.
done some googles but nothing usefull has come up yet.

sonypoolplr
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby sonypoolplr » Sat May 14, 2005 11:52 am

Big Bob
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Big Bob » Sat May 14, 2005 2:56 pm

dbarker

A "mini" primer on video signals - note this may not be 100% "technically correct", but it's "directionally correct" and good enough for a layman (like me).

The number - 480, 720, 1080 - refers to the lines of resolution. Think of it as the scan lines on a CRT TV or the pixel rows on a microdisplay. Since more lines on a given vertical screen means each line is smaller and therefore only has to display a smaller portion of the picture, higher numbers mean higher resolution.

The letter - i or p - refers to how the lines get "painted" on the screen. "I" stands for interlaced, which means the odd lines are displayed all at once, then the even lines get displayed all at once, then the odd, etc. This happens so fast that your brain "fills in" the even lines when the odds are displayed and vice-versa. So, even though only half a picture is being displayed at any time, you see the whole picture because you have a brain. (Drink too many beers and you can see 2 pcitures, does that mean you then have 2 brains?) "P" stands for progressive, which means that all lines are displayed at the same time. At the same refresh rate, obviously "P" is better than "I".

Now to the letter/number combos:

480i - 480 lines displayed 1/2 at a time. This is the lowest quality picture signal, called "SD" or "Standard Definition" and is equal to Sat TV or digital cable.
480p - 480 lines displayed all at the same time. This is the "step up" and is DVD quality resolution. It's also called "ED" or "Enhanced Definition",so you see some plasma sets indicating "ED" instead of "HD" - this means that they display video at an image quality of 480i, less than true HD. This is also the first of the formats that introduces the "wide-screen" (16:9) ratio.
720p - 720 lines displayed all at the same time. This is a "HD" format and usually the native format for HD plasmas, DLPs, and LCDs. It's also the same quality at which FOX, ESPN, and I believe ABC broadcast their HD signals.
1080i - 1080 lines displayed 1/2 at a time. This is the second "HD" format and usually the native format for HD CRTs. It's also the same quality at which CBS and NBC broadcast their HD signals.

Note that there is not a 720i format (why would you need it with 1080i), nor is there currently a 1080p format (although the "holy grail" of HD, this requires too much bandwidth and is not currently supported in displays, source devices, content, etc. except for a few very pricey displays and I think a MS video compression algorithm, but this is a whole other topic).

On to your problem.....

All component cables can deliver a signal in each of the 4 formats above, but not all inputs/switches/processors/whatever on TVs/receivers/etc. can handle every format. Some can and some can't. It's a little confusing and misleading for manufacturers to say that some things have component video inputs and/or switching capability, since most people will equate component video with HD, but as you can see from input 1 on your TV, it's not really a HD input, it's a SD/ED input.

So my guess is that you are feeding the TV a 480i signal, which would explain why the plasma will display on input 1 but not input 2. The question is where is that signal coming from. It sounds like you are using your receiver to switch video, so it's possible that the receiver has "component video switching" but not "HD switching" and it's downconverting everything to 480i. It's also possible that you are outputing a 480i signal from your sources to begin with, so it's not really "the receiver's fault", it's the way your sources are set up to output the signal.

Not knowing your exact equipment, I would first check what the sources are set to output the signal at. On a DVD player, it's 480i/p, so ensure that progressive output is turned on. On my SAT boxes, it's configured via the menu, so check there.

If your sources are outputting the higher quality signal, check your receiver's manual (if you are like me, you'll have to take the shrink wrap off now) to see if the component video switching is limited to lower resolution signals.

I guess this turned out to be more than a "mini" primer, but I hope it helps.

Joe

Bago
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Bago » Sat May 14, 2005 3:40 pm

Thanks for the mini post. I learned alot! :shock:

Barry

dbarker

Postby dbarker » Sat May 14, 2005 7:54 pm

thanks alot for the info.
got alot from both posts.

the reciever i have is a yamaha rx-v2400. and like everything else, it has
alot of info in the docs but really does not touch on the component video sources as much as i'd like. i still have alot of searching to do to get all the info i need. i set up the 2 777es dvd players to progressive and the yamaha has a conversion feature that i had to turn off and finally wassable to get a signal out of the component 2 inputs on the plasma.

i still did not see much of an improvement over component 1 inputs.

and of course it turns out that if i want hdtv from the direct tv company i have to shell out about an extra $360.00 for a new box.

thanks again

doug

PeterM1
Expert
Expert

Postby PeterM1 » Sun May 15, 2005 10:34 am

dbarker,
what feature did you have to turn off on the V2400 to get component output? (S/Video upconversion or OSD?). I had a similar problem initially with my V1400, component OSD out is hardcoded to 480p and it made a mess with 720p/1080i sources.

BTW, the RX-V1400/2400 have sufficient bandwidth to switch full HDTV (1080i) on the 2 component inputs. I use a comcast Motorola HD DVR & an older Sony DVD juke on the component inputs, the Moto HD channels are awesome. One of the Moto features is simultaneous out (conversion) of all sources to composite (480i), S/Vid (480i) and component (480p/720p/1080i) so I've disabled upconversions on the Yammy.

dbarker

Postby dbarker » Sun May 15, 2005 11:17 am

peterm1
in the manual it is just called v conv. it states
use this feaqture to turn off/on the conversion of composite signals to
both s-video and component signals. this allows you to output
composite signals from the s-video jack or the component video
hack when no s-video or component signals are input. this feature
also converts s-video signals to component signals when no component
signals are input.

not being very up on this stuff, i tend to get confused as to why i can't get the component 2 inputs to produce a signal without alot of messing around

and not too sure if i reallly need it because i'm not sure if it is just for edtv,
hdtv or if there are other functions and choices that it allows me.

PeterM1
Expert
Expert

Postby PeterM1 » Sun May 15, 2005 9:46 pm

Yep, that's the composite & S/Vid upconversion feature to component.

What brand plasma do you have? I've never heard of HD component inputs that don't go up to 1080i.

dbarker

Postby dbarker » Mon May 16, 2005 10:09 am

it is an akai. the attached image shows the component inputs, mine is a similar but different model but close enough
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PeterM1
Expert
Expert

Postby PeterM1 » Mon May 16, 2005 12:22 pm

ok, so Component input 1 is limited to EDTV (480i/480p), Component 2 is full HDTV (weird config, but what can you do...)

Perhaps I'm missing something but v.conv should not affect your component out, component signals have higher priority over S/Video and composite (do you have any of these 2 plugged-in on the receiver?)

Please disable "component OSD" from the Yammy and try again hooking up your equipment on Comp.2, although from what I can tell you don't have any hardware that can take advantage of 720p/1080i resolutions (yet). Your DVD juke should display 480p on either component input this way.

good luck and let us know how it goes

dbarker

Postby dbarker » Mon May 16, 2005 4:25 pm

i finally was able to get output with the v conversion off and osd off(see above post) when connected to component 2 on the plasma
the question was weather or not it was at a higher resolution
the manuals for the dvd players and the yamaha
don't really give a good indication as to the resolutions available, but
it appears that you are correct on the 480p. and of course i don't think the yamaha does any type of conversion that increases the resolution. so i have to assume that the signal i am seeing in component 2 is not at the higher resolutions

Big Bob
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Big Bob » Mon May 16, 2005 5:24 pm

Doug

If I'm following you, your last question is about the lack of difference in picture quality between the 2 inputs on the TV.

Quick notes about upconversion.

Although receivers may possess the abiltity to "upconvert" composite or s-video signals to component, this is another thing that is a little misleading. All they are really doing is converting the signal to a format that can be sent to the display via a set of component cables rather than a composite or s-video cable. They do eliminate the need to run multiple video cables to the display (don't need to run the composite and s-video), but they don't add anything to the picture quality of the composite/s-video sources. So the picture from the old VCR that you connect to the receiver via a composite cable or old SAT box connected via an s-video cable will not suddenly look better just because the receiver does upconversion - it just means that you'll only need to use one input on the TV and run one set of cables to the TV.

The same sort of logic applies to formats that can only go over component cables - 480p/720p/1080i. The receiver won't change a 480p signal to 720p and suddenly make it look better.

If all you have as sources are DVD players, 480p is the highest picture quality you will get, regardless of the TV input you connect to, because that is the highest quality that the DVD player can output. So whether you connect to input 1 or 2, you'll still get a 480P signal to the TV (unless of course you plunk down some cash for a video scaler/processor from CenterStage, Key Digital, DVDO, etc.).

Hope this helps

Joe

PeterM1
Expert
Expert

Postby PeterM1 » Tue May 17, 2005 8:37 am

dbarker wrote: so i have to assume that the signal i am seeing in component 2 is not at the higher resolutions

Correct, you're still seeing 480p but you should be able to confirm from the plasma side. There should be a menu option to display the current input resolution.

Once you get either your Sat HD or cable HD boxes you'll be able to test 720p and 1080i.

Return to “How are you using MainLobby?”