display DVDlobby_PC on a plasma?

Tell others how you're using MainLobby.
bdee1
Intermediate
Intermediate

display DVDlobby_PC on a plasma?

Postby bdee1 » Sun May 01, 2005 8:30 am

i am just starting to seriously consider replacing my old 27" tv with a new plasma tv - yesterday i was at best buy and was speaking with the sales guy in the TV dept. i told him how i was using an HTPC with its display output to the tv and was asking about how i would hook that up for the best resolution.

he told me that on older plasma displays they had a VGA input for displaying a PC signal, but that they had gotten rid of that on new plasmas for 2 reasons:
1) plasmas can be very sensitive to burnin so if you forgot to turn on the screen saver overnight, you could have an image burned in to the the plasma display.

2) he said that somehow displaying a PC's display on the plasma made it blow pixels or something.

so my question is - are any of you outputting your HTPC to a plasma and is there any truth to what this guy was saying?

PeterM1
Expert
Expert

Postby PeterM1 » Sun May 01, 2005 9:38 am

Another gem :shock:, courtesy of the tech-savvy folks at Best Buy. Do a search on the HTPC forum at AVS for more of these Best Buy gems :D. VGA has nothing to do with any of this.

ok, seriously now:

1. Stop going to Best Buy for advise :D . Start reading through the forums, especially AVS (lots of pros to help on all levels of questions), and visit a few real audio/video stores for questions afterwards.

2. Conectivity to HTPC. VGA or DVI is fine, DVI is preferred as there's no digital-to-analog transfer involved. In reality, I see no difference between the 2 on a 50inch plasma TV, some others do. You'll want to connect your HTPC to the "actual" resolution of your display, called dot-2-dot for best results.

3. burn-in. Yes, you have to be careful for it with all Plasma displays but you don't have to go crazy doing so. Orbiters, a built-in plasma function, help eliminate burn-in. If you run an HTPC display on a plasma, just don't leave the same static image displayed for too long (~1 hr), set a screensaver on the HTPC. Burn-in is not HTPC-specific, it happens with channel logos as well (Static image on your screen). I've had my Pioneer for 2years+, no burn-in whatsoever.

Hope this helps for starters.

bdee1
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby bdee1 » Sun May 01, 2005 10:03 am

yes that does help - i should have trusted my gut and not bothered to ask the best buy people about it. i have been looking around a little this morning on avforums.com and avsforum.com and have found a lot of good info as well.

a couple more questions though, now that i know that i should not worry much about using my HTPC with a plasma.

the video card on my htpc has a dvi output but all the plasmas i looked at don't have a dvi connection - they all had hdmi. can i just get a cable that goes from dvi to hdmi?

it seems like most people on the forums like the panasonic models. is there any specific models (42") that you can recommend? what do you think i will need to spend to get a good 42" is $3000 enough?

thanks for the advice.

PeterM1
Expert
Expert

Postby PeterM1 » Sun May 01, 2005 10:19 am

You simply can't go wrong with Panasonic plasmas, overall they're excellent choices and they display the best black levels by far. The 3 choices I was considering when I bought mine were Panasonic, Pioneer and Fujitsu.

How about this...

You need to decide what plasma size is good for your house and the specific location you're planning to install it in.

Once you have that, you need to decide HDTV or EDTV. You'll find several discusions on AVS on whether HD buys you anything or not on the 42inch panels, past 8-10feet of viewing distance the difference is not visible by most people. HD on a 50inch panel makes a huge difference on the other hand.

Last but not least, it'll help if you can find a local Audio/Video store with a dark room so you can demo the panels. Looks for details in the picture (like black scenes) to distinguish between the models.

HDMI is just a DRM-enabled version of DVI. I don't have much experience with it so I'll let someone else comment.

Let us know how it goes!
Last edited by PeterM1 on Sun May 01, 2005 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AccessHA
Expert
Expert

Postby AccessHA » Sun May 01, 2005 10:43 am

bdee1 wrote: can i just get a cable that goes from dvi to hdmi?

Yes sir, that's all you will need. Just for clarification... HDMI does video and audio on one cable, DVI does just video.
Hell-bent on automating everything! I’m too lazy to do anything else.

www.accessHA.com
Access Home Automation
The ultimate Insteon resource on the web.

chadg

Postby chadg » Wed May 04, 2005 7:12 am

I have had my panasonic for about two years now and love it. Another thing you want to make sure of is that it has a serial port. It is much more reliable then IR to control. I'm pretty sure all palsmas have them, but I would check first.

A great resource for reviews and stuff are at:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

I also concur on the advice from Best Buy/Circut City, etc. I have yet found someone there that knows more about any given topic then me! Generally you ask a question and they start picking up the tag and reading it. Uh... I can do that. Then when they don't know something they make up what they think you want to hear. Most people have no idea if it is true or not and they make a sale. Stick to the fourms before a buy.

Return to “How are you using MainLobby?”