Wall-mounted control system

Tell others how you're using MainLobby.

Wall-mounted control system

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:39 pm

MainLobby is the basis of my whole house entertainment/control and information system. I've built 2 Progear's into my walls to act as quick information and control systems around the house. I have an additional Progear that I use portably. Here are some pictures of the Progears installed in the walls.

This setup allows me the control/fun/cool factor I want and my wife likes the inconspicuous look and ability to control music from them.

Here is the downstair Progear.

Dan

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:40 pm

Here is the upstairs. Right outside the Master Bedroom.
Dan

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:42 pm

Dan,
You got Whitney cranked up a bit high there - don't you?
Looks great.
How did you finish the drywall - with J channel to cover the raw cut edge?
I assume you made a bracket to hold the progear - metal? How do you get it out of the hole when you need to service it? Is there an access panel behind it?

erikhimber
Expert
Expert

Postby erikhimber » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:51 pm

Hey Dan,

Nice job on the in wall mounts, I will post my pics tonight, gotta take pictures first.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:41 pm

David,

The front of the Progear was removed and replaced with a piece of 1/4" masonite routed out. You can see the curved corners and 1/4" setback. It is hard-wired to a nearby receptacle, with a USB network adapter hardwired to the network and the Wi-Fi card in place for redundancy. The battery is still on to act as a UPS in the case of a power outage. The masonite was built up flush with the drywall using 2x4's and the gap was taped, mudded and finished. The 1/4" setback gives a nice finished look, allows a little spacing between the rubber and back of the masonite for airflow and acts as a nice stylus ledge.

Both Progears are mounted opposite closets, so if I need access I can open up the wall behind and get at it. They've both been installed for over a year now - and I haven't needed to access them yet. I use VNC to do remote maintenance and use them solely for running MainLobby to keep them stable. There both running W2K for added stability.

I opted for clean look over easy access to appease the wife and integrate into our home. Of course, you wouldn't know it by the amount of "stuff" strewn about in the pictures! :)

I'm still working the wife on trying to get one more in the kitchen, but I might try replicating the Progear setup with an overclocked Toshiba e740 once we can do some PocketPC integration stuff.

Dan

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:50 pm

Notice, also, the 3 Audrey Hepburn movie posters in the upstairs hallway. Who says marriage isn't a constant negotiation? :?

Dan

electron

Postby electron » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:55 am

Dan,

first of all, great name! ;)

Do you happen to have any pictures of the installation? Very nice job. What model touchscreen are you using, and where did you get it? Last but not least, my wife loves your setup (she finally is convinced that this is great, and wants me to do this too now, eventho I have been explaining this to her for years lol), but as strange as this might sound, she wants to know where you got the huge R hanging on your wall.

Great job!

Dan

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:28 pm

electron, you've made it over here. WooHoo!

For those of you that don't know, Electron (E to those too lazy to type his full name) is the guy who runs CocoonTech.com ( http://www.cocoontech.com ) a great home automation site. If you haven't paid it a visit, there's no time like the present :)

E's also known as Dan(Xplosiv) over at the HomeSeer forums.

electron

Postby electron » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:47 pm

lol, thanks John, just don't tell them how crazy I am ;) Those pictures really look great, I like the paint , everything!

Postby Guest » Tue May 11, 2004 6:39 pm

electron,

Welcome to the forum. I used a couple of Progears as the touchscreens, some masonite, a router and a lot of drywall putty to make them look good.

The 'R' was a Marshall's (discount dept. store if it's not in your area) find. Just happened to have a couple of letters there, so we picked up the R and the E for my son, Elliot's room. I think they set us back a whopping $5 a piece. E-bay probably has them, but try doing a search for 'R' and you'll probably waste a week going through the results. :)

The paint is a 4th generation tan that we finally settled on and LOVE it! It's really a great color - many people who've visited have used it in their homes. It's Behr Premium Summer Tan, available at your local Home Depot store. :)

How's that for full service!

Daniel Reicher
Cinemar, Inc.

electron

Postby electron » Tue May 11, 2004 8:25 pm

damn, that's some great information. I thought masonite was some sort of stone, do you have any pictures of the construction process? Thanks again!

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Tue May 11, 2004 11:06 pm

FWIW, there are a few pix of the ADI Leopard mounted in the livingroom of my wall posted here including a little text on the system and a bit of how I installed it.

Cheers!

electron

Postby electron » Wed May 12, 2004 7:10 am

wow, that looks great! I really love that rack too, too bad they are so expensive, I am still looking for a cheap rack to mount my servers and patchpanels.

blafarm
Expert
Expert

Postby blafarm » Fri May 14, 2004 2:40 am

Yeah, nice job gregoryx...very slick!

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Fri May 14, 2004 4:04 pm

Thanks.

I think the rotating rack was $800 or so... seemed pretty reasonable.

Return to “How are you using MainLobby?”