OK, I admit it...I went too far..wine cellar automation

Tell others how you're using MainLobby.
mbluhm

OK, I admit it...I went too far..wine cellar automation

Postby mbluhm » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:22 pm

In the process of remodeling our basement I built an airpanel into the wall right next to the wine cellar I put in. This was supposed to just be to control the av/security/weather/etc. Everything everyone has done here.

My wife made the mistake of telling me I needed to put a lock on the wine cellar door. Her fault, right?

So, here's what you have to do. Using mainlobby & server/etc with an airpanel display.. You walk up to the touch screen, touch the wine cellar access button.

Next, a hidden web cam takes a quick snapshot of you..using facial recognition software it then shows your picture on the screen matched to a database of valid entries. It then asks to verify your fingerprint. The fingerprint reader is built into the wall as well. You put your finger on the scanner and if the match works an RF single is sent out that unlocks the door.

None of this was rocket science to get working. Simple commands all around. Probably two hours total for the actual coding and then 20 more hours to make it pretty.

Abosultely amazes everyone.

If anyone is interested I will take some shots and put them on a web site.

I'm now working on adding wine cellar info to the system. Things like cellar temp/humidity/current inventory levels/etc.

PP
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby PP » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:45 pm

What are you using for face recognition software and for a fingerprint reader?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:44 pm

very neat and I like the overkill!
Facial and fingerprint ID just to get drunk!

screen shots, software names, and any code you can share would be appreciated.

Thanx.

BTW, don't forget the "wine angels" to go with the touchpanel cellar.
You thinking about a wine inventory app with descriptions of your collection?

K-Wood
Intermediate
Intermediate

Wine Lobby

Postby K-Wood » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:07 am

I would pay serious $$ for a WineLobby application. I have a 500 bottle cellar sitting right next to my media server in the basement and it would easy to set up a local touchscreen and keyboard for data entry. I have everything in a 3rd-party database application called Cellar!, but I really would prefer to have a Lobby front end or full-fledged application. Imagine being able to update your database whenever you buy or drink a bottle. Better yet, imagine being able to sort through your stock from a touchscreen in the kitchen -- and then input tasting notes and rate wines from the same touchscreen!

I am officially offering a case of quality wine to anyone who can put together a working beta version of such a Lobby app.

- Ken

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:43 pm

This sorta reminds me of a request I made a bit ago for an open database manipulation tool. At the time, I think I said "Access", but doing it with ODBC - as davevans did for the DVDQuery plugin - would be great, too. If this sort of "back end" were available, I'd think this application would go well.

Let's see: create database manually outside of ML; ML plugin allows reference to any field by any - or at least predefined - lookups in multiple tables; editing of an active field would need to be supported.

That'd do it, wouldn't it?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:19 pm

I started looking at Cellar! product which is a database at the core, with Internet lookup, manual overwritting of Internet data by user, search commands and bar code scanning for inventory purposes.

All of these features would be a large project to incorporate into ML. But, I suspect that some of the high used functions would be easier. Similar to DVDLobby (which databases movie inventory with Internet sourced data that is user overwriteable) but for Wine bottles.

I didn't see (and didn't expect to see) a external interface support with the Cellar product. So, any integration would have to be tied directly to their database.

OR, forget about Cellar and just repurpose DVDLobby with some field name changes and you got a quick and dirty WineLobby that won't do Internet lookup (WhineLobby?) You could also keep a jpg of the bottle label!

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:39 pm

smoothtlk wrote:...OR, forget about Cellar and just repurpose DVDLobby with some field name changes and you got a quick and dirty WineLobby that won't do Internet lookup (WhineLobby?) You could also keep a jpg of the bottle label!

THAT's more what I was thinking... just a "MLDatabase" plugin that could be used for ANY purpose. A VB Script could then be written (or rather easily modified from the Homeland Security script) to load things into variables for this and other applications.

If you haven't checked out davevans' DVDQuery plugin, I think it's on the right track...

PP
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby PP » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:44 pm

I still pose the question, What face recognition software is he using? I never have seen any that is available for public usage?
I would like to play with that software.

mbluhm

face recognition software

Postby mbluhm » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:25 am

Sorry it took so long to reply. Dead cable modem.

The software I started with is http://www.fuzzgun.btinternet.co.uk/Downloads.htm

I modified for my specific use. It isn't perfect, but it's free.

mbluhm

Postby mbluhm » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:13 pm

Ken (and everyone else)...

I will create a wine lobby app for everyone to use..

The cost? How about 1 decent bottle of wine from everyone that uses it?

Start throwing out the requirements...I have the next two weeks off and t he wife & kids are leaving me home alone from the 26th to Jan 3rd.

Who all is interested?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:28 pm

I wish I wasn't allergic to alchohol (really) or I would be interested in participating. Love a good wine, just can't breath afterwards (really takes the breath away :) )

Were you going to build it ontop of Cellar!? or it's database?
Flash based?
Homeseer based?
offshoot of DVDLobby?

K-Wood
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby K-Wood » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:16 pm

mbluhm:

Be careful what you ask for!

I will try to be succinct:

- Web-based lookup tool -- leveraging Cellar or something similar would be the easiest way to go
- means of importing label art for each wine
- mans of graphically displaying wines in cellar (cover art; thumbnails)
- data fields for each wine would include varietal(s), country, region, winemaker, color, vintage, etc.
- sort and perhaps display by each field
- means of allowing users to easily enter tasting notes (great for parties)

That'll do for now . . . .

- Ken

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:17 pm

How 'bout a built in breathalizer with 2 way feedback in MainLobby? :)
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

PP
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby PP » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:02 pm

my 2 cents.. Wine Cellar I wood love! But also I look at all the types of collections people might have. Is there a way to maybe make it flexible to easliy change some variables that it could cover more than just wine?

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:38 pm

PP wrote:my 2 cents.. Wine Cellar I wood love! But also I look at all the types of collections people might have. Is there a way to maybe make it flexible to easliy change some variables that it could cover more than just wine?

:!: Hear! Hear! :!:

Return to “How are you using MainLobby?”