Way cool....

Tell others how you're using MainLobby.
Nix Neon

Way cool....

Postby Nix Neon » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:05 am

Up until this last weekend everything I wanted to do with ML was in theory as the theatre was not built so I could not set everything up. Now it is.
Using ML I have been able to create a killer interface, with functions for everything you could possibly want to do. I can control everything from from lights, to heating and cooling, to all the A/V gear.
I choose not to use ML as a display on the sony HDTV. I bought an Viewsonic Airpanel and everything is displayed there like a giant touchscreen remote. I even use DVD Lobby to display all DVD's in the Megachanger and you just choose what you want to watch from there.
I am not even close to done yet. Next is going to be whole house audio and video.
With a little thinking on my part, ML has enabled me to really create a home automation system. I don't know if anyone else has looked into to products like Crestron and AMX. All great in there own rights, but the price tags are outragous. Besides half the coolness is being able to do it yourself!
I used many different hardware pieces to acomplish all of this so far and I run another piece of software behind the scenes. It is kind of the bae of everything, for logging, monitoring, and voice control.

keyvan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby keyvan » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:59 am

Nix Neon

A friend of mine recently spent around $70,000 on an HT setup which has the latest Crestron kit. It is all very nice (Runco projectors, MK speakers, etc.) His brief to the supplier/installer was "I want the best". I played with it and it is nice to use in the HT room (only!) but the graphics and expandibility does not come close to the Lobby suite. He was very envious of the AirPanel and the feautres like MusicLobby. I think from even from an end-user, " I dont't want to DIY / money no object", point of view, the look of ML puts it above the Crestron / AMX / Panja kit.
It probably takes more time & skill to build a "stable" mainlobby setup (not that ML software is unstable, but there are so many things / components to trip up over, and not everyone likes to go through the trial & error phase) but the end result and future facilities makes it well worthwhile. I have ordered some 15" touch montiors to use on SFF pc's around the house. They are way ahead of similar Crestron kit, plus I get web, email, etc. over & above the remote control feaures.

Keyvan

Nix Neon

Interested

Postby Nix Neon » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:01 am

I'd be interested to know about your setup and what kinda of touch screens are you ordering?

keyvan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby keyvan » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:12 am

I have ordered a 3M 15" LCT touch - M150 I think, (it has a nice stand which would allow you to have the monitor tilting almost fully horizontal) but they are not cheap (around £600 plus tax in UK).
I have also orderd a CTX PV500 BT. These are cheaper at around £350 plus tax.
I will experiment with both before I buy any more.
You should get much better pricing and range in the US. Some have serial and some USB for connecting the the touch facility to the pc.
I will be posting more about my setup when it is out of it's experimental state - if and when that ever happens :roll: . I am constantly buying new things but mostly I leave on them my test system because I have more fun getting devices to do smart stuff than acutally using them in reall, everyday life. Sad I know :lol:

Keyvan R
Last edited by keyvan on Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

keyvan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Touch display

Postby keyvan » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:23 am

Here is the 3M product

http://www.3m.com/3MTouchSystems/Corpor ... index.html

The site I use in the uk has an all-in-one pc & touch .
http://www.distec.co.uk/Products.ASP?MC ... ubCatID=74

Hope this helps.

Keyvan R

daveedwards

smart displays

Postby daveedwards » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:33 pm

Keyvan - interesting choice for wall mount, but a bit different to what I've come up with.

First off, I've only just discovered this Lobby series of programs - looks great at the moment.

I have bought in to Crestron, as well as Premise Systems, but neither gave me the all-round slick control I'm looking for.

On the AV side (or HTPC), I've been fishing for a report confirming that a SMart Display will work with Media Center Edition (or SHowshifter, or Broadbandbox). I've finally found an article on AVSforum.com which confirms that this setup is possible - though not directly using the multi-user interface. This guy also used Lobby with a Slink-e, and sounded as though though whole thing was working just about perfectly.

This being the case, a Smart Display is ideal in the role of HTPC controller itself. As for control around the rest of the house - I'm going for a more traditional Systeline by QED. The HTPC will form a single channel to the rest of the house. You can walk around the house with the SMart Display if you require fine control of the functions in, say, the bathroom. I can talk about this all day (well... not that long) but I'm based in London (Clapham Junction) myself so email me direct if you want to talk more.

keyvan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby keyvan » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:18 pm

The CTX touch dispaly arrived today. I am still waiting for the Shuttle SFF pc to hook up to it. I have done some mls scenes to go with it.
I will post some pictures when it is all hooked up and running at it's final destination.

Keyvan R

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:00 pm

Keyvan,

Any pictures? :)
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

Return to “How are you using MainLobby?”