Native iPhone/Touch ML Client Demo

Tell others how you're using MainLobby.
bog

Native iPhone/Touch ML Client Demo

Postby bog » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:26 am

I've been experimenting with the beta iPhone SDKs and creating a conceptual user interface to MainLobby.

Attached is a video demonstrating my ideas and I would appreciate your feedback.

As I mention in the video, I want to create a native application to take advantage of the gesture capabilities. The Touch is also a very durable and well made device for it's price. It's much cheaper and more robust then any other touch panels, can run custom applications and is very close to the size of a single gang light switch.

1. There was a bug in the previous SDK and I haven't yet figured out how to create a new light switch (or other controls) for multiple rooms rooms. Conceptually, this is similar to existing applications already on the phone (like the weather app).

2. For audio, I focused on volume and selecting the source (i.e. CD, DVD, AM/FM Radio, XM Radio, iTunes, Computer, Cable, Satellite, Video 1, AUX 1, or whatever). There could be room for basic media controls (context sensitive based on the selected source) such as on/off, stop, pause, play, forward, reverse and a button to reverse the page for advanced media playback controls.

Ideally I think about mounting an iPod Touch on the wall in place of a wall switch in some rooms. Or it could be used to walk around the house like a remote control from any room.

What do you think?

bog

Postby bog » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:28 am

Turns out I can't upload my 7MB .mov screencast. Any suggestions?

couj

Postby couj » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:49 am

How about posting it on youtube? Look forward to seeing your video

bog

Postby bog » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:58 am

Duh!!! I don't know why I didn't think about this.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2813195/8169772

It's distorted so I'll try capturing again or just creating some screenshots.

As you see the volume screen, just remember there's actually more space then what appears in the video because Youtube squished it.
Last edited by bog on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

bog

Postby bog » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:25 am

Here are some screen shots
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bog on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:35 am

bog wrote:Here are some screen shots

You'll probably need to convert your screenshots to jpg in order for them to be viewed in the web browser.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

bog

Postby bog » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:51 am

Ok, this should be better. I've been having difficulties with YouTube as well.

It's confirmed, Youtube is only good for mangling my video. I cannot post the video there.

It's on Yahoo now, http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2813195/8169772

couj

Postby couj » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:30 pm

Hi Bog

Any update on how your iphone/ ipod touch project is going?

Cheers

Couj

bog

Postby bog » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:12 pm

I'm waiting for some bugs in the SDK to be fixed. And I'm waiting for a non-beta SDK. In the meantime, I'd love to hear feedback about UI ideas.

I haven't had much time to do more graphic work... though I'm getting pretty proficient at what I need to do.

I would still like to get ideas for the climate UI.

I'll be working on the following:
-Adding the basic audio source control elements to the audio UI
-for radio: power, frequency seek up/down, AM/FM Toggle
-for CD:power, track forward/back, play, stop
-for iTunes: not sure yet
-Create the climate control UI
-Adding advanced audio source control elements as the reverse view to the audio UI
-Enable flipping through the controls
-Create the configuration UI (not sure if I'll do this via the iPhone settings button on the main page to hide it from regular users).
-I'm also thinking of a way that I can import and export configuration settings as an XML file incase you have to replace one of the iPods

I'll also admit, this is only conceptual. I intend to integrate the UI with whatever backend home automation and control system I install.

Is there anyone in Winnipeg or Toronto that can showoff their MainLobby installation?

My condo got further delayed so I'm not touching the ML demo yet. Unless of course, ML wants to give me a free license? I'm still trying to get advice on deploying ML on USB only systems before I commit to it.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:21 pm

You can use MainLobby Server on a USB only system if you use an Edgeport USB to DB9 RS232 adapter (multi port versions available) or a TCP to DB9 like a Rocketport. I personally use both with good success.

I assume you are trying for a small form factor system hence no DB9?

couj

Postby couj » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:07 am

Thanks for the update bog. Sounds reallly interesting.

bog

Postby bog » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:44 pm

DavidL,

Thanks for the tips. I think http://www.digi.com/products/usb/edgeport.jsp is a good option.

Here are my primary concerns: small form factor, quiet, low power consumption and low heat.

I'd like the idea of using an Asus Eee Box (http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/29/asus ... previewed/) for ML. Multiple if needed. Or, just run them in a virtual machine on a rack mounted server (though, this doesn't help with the quiet, low power and low heat).

I'm now piecing together what HW is needed to interface Lutron Sivoia QED blinds with ML. Also, what lighting controls would be supported and something to distribute audio to speakers.

Return to “How are you using MainLobby?”