Fun and Games with your iPhone / iTouch

Tell others how you're using MainLobby.
CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fun and Games with your iPhone / iTouch

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:11 pm

Hands down the iPhone and iTouch are amazing pieces of hardware. Added to that is the very capable Safari browser. MLServer has had built in web support for quite some time. Here is an example of what you can do with just a little bit of Javascript and HTML. These are not static web pages or photoshopped images. These pages are fully functional and make full use of the AJAX features built into the Safari browser. Only scratching the surface with what can be done.

Edit - 1/5/2008 - Added a fully functional two-way remote. The DVDLobby interface is complete. This will be in version 3.0.414 of MLServer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CinemarDave on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

couj

Postby couj » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:12 pm

Wow! That is very impressive. Was it necessary to hack you iphone/itouch to do this? Would an ordinary user (without your programing skills) be able to achieve these kinds of results?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:18 pm

No hack at all. It's just a URL on the iPhone browser. The URL goes to MLServer3 that has the webserver turned on. The pages are served from the webserver to the phone.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:03 pm

I want one (iPhone that is!!)

Like Dave P said, just the start of things to come. Great examples!
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

dr.frazier

Postby dr.frazier » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:12 pm

can you post some of the code for us to learn by. Very impressive but my iphone does not do that on its own. HaHa :lol:

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:44 pm

There is already sample code in the MLServer\html directory.

Now, not the UI being shown here, but sample code to learn by :)

dr.frazier

Postby dr.frazier » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:53 pm

I have played with that some but most interested now with iphone. Would like to see how the dvdlobby scales to the iphone pages in particular.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:15 pm

Nice. =D>

I like that it'll work on the iTouch for $300 without having to have an iPhone.

I'm looking forward to using it on my PPC phone as well.

When will you share that code, Dave?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:38 pm

The code for these pages does have some Safari / iPhone browser specific Javascript but it does degrade nicely for the most part for other browsers. However your browser must be modern enough to support Ajax function calls. This eliminates most all PPC devices. You can use non-Ajax browsers but then you must tolerate page refreshes.

These pages will be rolled into the standard set of HTML examples that get shipped with MLServer. Please note that the DVDLobby example shown above will require DVDLobby 3.75. I put 12 thumbnails on the page and while they are small they remain quite readable. Any if you find them too small then simply rotate the device 90 degrees and the page will automatically expand to fill the space. These pages will continously be updated because I plan on using my iTouch as my primary handheld controller for MainLobby.

bjdraw

Postby bjdraw » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:43 am

This is so awesome!

I can't wait to try them out on my iPhone and now I really really hope that the rumors of a Apple Tablet are true!

Once you try a capacitive touch screen it's hard to go back to resistive.
Ben Drawbaugh
How good can it be, if it isn't HD?

kashifm

Postby kashifm » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:48 pm

This is just awsome!!!
Can't wait to get my hands on the source so I can integrate Cinemar with my iPhone! Its a delight to show someone the features of iPhone by itself - I can only imagine when they see this kind of home/media automation on it. It will blow people away!!!
By the way, how can I get my hands on DVD Lobby 3.7.5? been waiting a long long time for it....

cborod
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby cborod » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:34 pm

just a marketing kid at heart......Mario/Smooth....might be nice publicity if you got some attention via various trade pubs or even as high as CNN that you can "run your home from an iphone".....can an ilobby be far behind? or has someone already coined the phrase?

Gotta tell you....it does look cool! and GregoryX is right....an iTouch as home controller rocks!

How do I get this code loaded on my server?
ChrisB

jeffx
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jeffx » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:18 pm

Opera Mobile 9 for Microsoft Windows Mobile, which should be released soon, is reported to "feature compatibility with Ajax and Web 2.0".
HAL2000 - JRMC 11 - ML3 - MuL3 - NetRemote Pro 1 - Insteon - M-Audio Delta 410 - Sonic Impact T-Amps - Honeywell Security

TCassio
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby TCassio » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:35 pm

Have these files been posted yet? Got a nice shiny new Itouch from Santa and would like to play.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:25 pm

The files have not been published yet. They will appear in the next release of MLServer. The iPhone javascript requires at least version 3.0.400 of MLServer. There will most likely be a release of MLServer on Wednesday.

Return to “How are you using MainLobby?”