Recipe Manager

Tell others how you're using MainLobby.
ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ronsatter » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:03 am

Hi Bob,

I noticed this comment from Dave:
DaveB wrote:As soon as you recipe scripts are ready, I will try them out.

Does this mean you're updating the scripts and I should wait on this project?

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:16 am

I don't know what Dave is referring to. Maybe I made a post somewhere above about fixing/changing something?

The script is probably not going to get any more updates. I did start converting the script to a real plug-in with a real database back-end to store the recipes. But finishing it is low on the priority list right now.
--
Bob

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:49 pm

My comment was based in part to what is on your web site and in part from a comment above. We are all just looking for someone to take the lead and get a recipe plug in to completion. It is something that we all have discussed around hear since version .9 of main lobby came out. Several have gotten to the point that you apparently have done and then moved on.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:50 pm

Can someone please give me some quick pointers on this. This is the first time my wife actually said "thats nice" when it comes to mainlobby. Mostly i get "when are you gonna be done messing with that thing?

ok so i installed everything. ActivePerl5 and the recipes package. Nothings happening. Im still not quite sure what to do. I dont see any variables in ml server. and nothing shows on the mlscene. I tried to open one of the recipies to associate the files with the program but nothing happened. What do try now?

Thanks
Hooked on HighDef

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:08 pm

donburkard wrote:This is the first time my wife actually said "thats nice" when it comes to mainlobby. Mostly i get "when are you gonna be done messing with that thing?"

Gee, that's very polite of your wife. Mine usually comments with lots of #@$*% followed by "Why in #@$*% can't I turn on the bathroom lights?"

It's a common suffering we MLer's must endure. I recommend quality Tequila 8)

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:09 am

DaveB wrote:My comment was based in part to what is on your web site and in part from a comment above. We are all just looking for someone to take the lead and get a recipe plug in to completion. It is something that we all have discussed around hear since version .9 of main lobby came out. Several have gotten to the point that you apparently have done and then moved on.

Oh, Ok. It does seem to be one of those things that is hard to get past a certain point. The script has worked fairly well for me, for what little it gets used. My wife liked the idea too, but hasn't really tried to work with it much. Turning it into a real plug-in seems like a good idea and it was a way for me to learn about some new stuff with .NET (like database access). It almost does everything the script does at this point. I just need more time. Anyone have a bunch of time they want to give me :)
--

Bob

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:26 am

donburkard wrote:Can someone please give me some quick pointers on this. This is the first time my wife actually said "thats nice" when it comes to mainlobby. Mostly i get "when are you gonna be done messing with that thing?

ok so i installed everything. ActivePerl5 and the recipes package. Nothings happening. Im still not quite sure what to do. I dont see any variables in ml server. and nothing shows on the mlscene. I tried to open one of the recipies to associate the files with the program but nothing happened. What do try now?

Thanks

It's been a while since I messed with it but it sounds like it might just be the .pl file association with ActivePerl5 is missing. If you double click on the script itself, recipes.pl, what happens? It should just briefly flash up a command prompt box. That indicates that the .pl extension is associated with ActivePerl.

I think every time I've installed ActivePerl, it's made that association for me. You can try uninstalling ActivePerl and re-installing it. Make sure you select any option that looks like it would make the file association.

If it looks like the script is running when you double click it, but you still don't get the scene populating, Make sure you try the Muffin category. I think that's the only one that has any recipes in the package.
--

Bob

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:00 pm

Yea i have tried all that. I still get nothing?

I reinstalled everything just to be sure. I tried opening one of the muffin recipes to make the file association, and i still get nothing.

Any more ideas?
Hooked on HighDef

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:39 pm

Ok now i see two variables.

recipe_catagory | mail
and
recipe_page | 0

Other than that gtting better, i still have nothing. Im confused :(
Hooked on HighDef

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:45 am

donburkard wrote:Ok now i see two variables.

recipe_catagory | mail
and
recipe_page | 0

Other than that gtting better, i still have nothing. Im confused :(

That is getting a little better but I'm not sure where 'mail' came from as the category. Are you using the scene included and did you modify any part of it?

You can call the script directly from the a command prompt and view what it's doing. Open a windows command prompt and CD into the location where the script is installed. I think I have it right below. I have mine in a different location for testing.

Code: Select all

cd c:\program files\MLserver\recipe
recipe.pl

The above should display a short usage message. Then do

recipe.pl 0 Muffins

(That's a zero, no a capital Oh) and you should get some output indicating that it's setting mlserver variables.
--

Bob

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:06 pm

Sorry it should have said main, not mail. I can be an idiot sometimes. I have not changed your scene other than deleting some of the buttons on the bottom and changed the background. That wouldnt effect any thing would it?

Ok, i followed the instructions and now i have

recipe | what? you want more?
recipe 1 | apple crunch muffins
recipe 10 through 16 | blank
recipe 2 | banana oatmeal muffins
recipe 3|mims buttermilk spice muffins
recipe 4 through 9 | blank

Does that seem right? I can see the muffins in ml but no recipes for them. the only thing i see in the recipe box is "What? You want more? Is this correct?

Thanks for the help by the way. this seems like a GREAT addition to a kitchen. Good work!!!
Hooked on HighDef

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:03 pm

bpwwer wrote:
Oh, Ok. It does seem to be one of those things that is hard to get past a certain point. The script has worked fairly well for me, for what little it gets used. My wife liked the idea too, but hasn't really tried to work with it much. Turning it into a real plug-in seems like a good idea and it was a way for me to learn about some new stuff with .NET (like database access). It almost does everything the script does at this point. I just need more time. Anyone have a bunch of time they want to give me :)

Sure - I will donate free time to you. That along with some Tequila from Ron's stash, and we should get it done in no time at all. :lol:

What this thing really needs is a module with upload capabilities. My vision is to have a driver that can handle standard on line recipe formats and handle local uploads to a database. That would allow a users family recipes to be entered along with downloaded versions.

The way to proceed with this is to come to an agreement of what everyone wants; write a spec; and then pay off Mario and Dave to design it for us. :D
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:15 pm

I agree. But i would just be happy with it working now. :lol:
Hooked on HighDef

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:23 pm

Yea - but we have been around that circle about 5 times, and nearly 7 years later, here we are.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:28 am

donburkard wrote:Sorry it should have said main, not mail. I can be an idiot sometimes. I have not changed your scene other than deleting some of the buttons on the bottom and changed the background. That wouldnt effect any thing would it?

Nope, changing those should not effect the operation.

Ok, i followed the instructions and now i have

recipe | what? you want more?
recipe 1 | apple crunch muffins
recipe 10 through 16 | blank
recipe 2 | banana oatmeal muffins
recipe 3|mims buttermilk spice muffins
recipe 4 through 9 | blank

Does that seem right? I can see the muffins in ml but no recipes for them. the only thing i see in the recipe box is "What? You want more? Is this correct?

The list looks correct. That's all there is for examples. But the "What? You want more?" is really an error message. It means the script was called with an index outside the range of the available recipes.

If you call it from the command line with

recipe.pl 0 Muffins 1

It should show the text for the apple crunch muffins. Then if you look at the button with that label on the scene in edit mode, you should see it making the same call.
--

Bob

Return to “How are you using MainLobby?”