Recipe Manager

Tell others how you're using MainLobby.
mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:33 am

We do have a prototype of RecipeLobby probably from 5 years ago as well. It's just never made it to priority given the other 20 requests we get daily. :)
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:34 am

DaveB wrote:
bpwwer wrote:
Oh, Ok. It does seem to be one of those things that is hard to get past a certain point. The script has worked fairly well for me, for what little it gets used. My wife liked the idea too, but hasn't really tried to work with it much. Turning it into a real plug-in seems like a good idea and it was a way for me to learn about some new stuff with .NET (like database access). It almost does everything the script does at this point. I just need more time. Anyone have a bunch of time they want to give me :)

Sure - I will donate free time to you. That along with some Tequila from Ron's stash, and we should get it done in no time at all. :lol:

What this thing really needs is a module with upload capabilities. My vision is to have a driver that can handle standard on line recipe formats and handle local uploads to a database. That would allow a users family recipes to be entered along with downloaded versions.

The way to proceed with this is to come to an agreement of what everyone wants; write a spec; and then pay off Mario and Dave to design it for us. :D

The Tequila might help get it finished faster, but I'm not sure I'd want to make any of the recipes that got entered :)

So if it did have all those features, how much is it worth to you? That is really the big problem with something like this, it doesn't seem to have a large user base (but maybe I'm wrong here) so the cost to develop is fairly high for the expected return.

I'm lucky in that my mother-in-law wrote a cookbook once and we had all the recipes for that in digital format. So those along with some of my wife's additions provide a pretty good base for the program.
--
Bob

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:04 pm

If you call it from the command line with
Code:
recipe.pl 0 Muffins 1

It should show the text for the apple crunch muffins. Then if you look at the button with that label on the scene in edit mode, you should see it making the same call.

I did it. It gave me the text in the command prompt box. In the variables page the text shows up under recipe. Is that normal? I would have thought it would be under recipe 1. Also in main lobby, in the description box, i dont get the recipe. All i get is the words apple crunch muffins. What do i do now?

Im bummed. Now i really want apple crunch muffins! :)

Thanks by the way.
Hooked on HighDef

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:39 am

donburkard wrote:
If you call it from the command line with
Code:
recipe.pl 0 Muffins 1

It should show the text for the apple crunch muffins. Then if you look at the button with that label on the scene in edit mode, you should see it making the same call.

I did it. It gave me the text in the command prompt box. In the variables page the text shows up under recipe. Is that normal? I would have thought it would be under recipe 1. Also in main lobby, in the description box, i dont get the recipe. All i get is the words apple crunch muffins. What do i do now?

The variables "recipe 1" - "recipe 16" should only have the titles. That's what should be displayed on the right in the pseudo listbox. (well the first three or four since there's only that many recipes).

The variable "recipe" should hold the recipe text of the last selected recipe. It sounds like you're only getting the first line displayed? Did something change in the "text" button I used there maybe so that it handles text formating differently? I haven't updated my MainLobby in a while.

It's all suppose to just "work" so I'm not sure what's really going on. It sounds like the script is running ok from the command prompt now. Maybe you could post a screen shot of the variables screen and a screen shot of the scene so I can see what it looks like?

Im bummed. Now i really want apple crunch muffins! :)

Thanks by the way.[/quote]
--

Bob

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:05 pm

Here is the variable screen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hooked on HighDef

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:06 pm

here is my scene
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hooked on HighDef

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:54 pm

The variables look correct so try this....

For that scene, go in to edit mode and look at the button that holds the main text. It should be:

ID: Text.MultiLine
Label: {{recipe}}~690~512
Font Size: 14
Font: Arial Narrow Bold

The font and font size are less important, but they were set to allow a certain number of lines to be shown and if the recipe has more than that number of lines, allow an additional page to be displayed. Changing the font/font size will display problems.

From you screen shot, it looks like the button size is a lot smaller and that may be why you're only seeing the title. I just went and looked at an older version of the scene on my system and it didn't have the size specified on the button. So now I wonder if that behavior of Text.MultiLine has changed sometime in the past couple of years so that it requires the size parameters where before it would auto-size? So try adding the size parameters, that should help.
--

Bob

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:49 pm

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!

that did it. Thank you very much.
:D
Hooked on HighDef

killervette

Re: Recipe Manager

Postby killervette » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:14 pm

nice job on this. Is there any way to click on a category and not update the recipe until one is chosen?

kirkfrey
Expert
Expert

Postby kirkfrey » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:41 pm

This website seems down and I need to reinstall :(

anyone have the code/instructions?
Kirk

Just trying to figure it out...

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:44 am

kirkfrey wrote:This website seems down and I need to reinstall :(

anyone have the code/instructions?

It should be back up now. I've been having router problems and it hung right after leaving for a week vacation.
--

Bob

Return to “How are you using MainLobby?”