Christmas Light show

Tell others how you're using MainLobby.
yzpmpgq

Christmas Light show

Postby yzpmpgq » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:02 am

Many years ago I started setting lights to music and it has evolved to 40,000 lights, bubble machines, snow machines and more. The music is broadcast over an FM tuner and it is all controlled from a touchscreen on the street running ML3 that allows the user to pick the song and even vote for their favorite. It even starts up at dusk and shuts down at midnight automatically with another screen notifying the user we are giving the neighbors a break. Demos can be seen at http://jamesandlynn.com although the last video was from 2 years ago.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Re: Christmas Light show

Postby DaveB » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:49 pm

40,000 !! :shock:
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

kevind
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kevind » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:26 pm

Very very cool. I've been wanting to do this for years...never enough time it seems. What are you using...lightorama?

yzpmpgq

Postby yzpmpgq » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:58 am

Yep, lightorama. I have added more panels over the years (cause it really adds up!). This year I am adding 10 of their cosmic color ribbons that are LED and unlimited colors and movements. Now to just figure out what I'm going to do with them...

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:08 pm

So then are you using the Show Time director or are you somehow controlling the Show TIme Pro relay boxes directly with Cinemar? Just trying to figure ot how you integrated Cinemar into the mix.

I think it is another example of a great application for the product.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:37 am

yzpmpgq wrote:Many years ago I started setting lights to music and it has evolved to 40,000 lights, bubble machines, snow machines and more. The music is broadcast over an FM tuner and it is all controlled from a touchscreen on the street running ML3 that allows the user to pick the song and even vote for their favorite. It even starts up at dusk and shuts down at midnight automatically with another screen notifying the user we are giving the neighbors a break. Demos can be seen at http://jamesandlynn.com although the last video was from 2 years ago.

Cool stuff. I can certainly appreciate the work you put into it. I'd be interested as well how you implemented MainLobby into your Lightorama system.

I've been using Lightorama for about 4 to 5 years now. It's very addictive especially to us home automation guys. I really streamlined the setup over the years by packing extension cords with the lights and lots of labels. I'm actually planning to take a break from it this year. Something about standing on a 10 ft slippery ladder in 30 mile per hour winds. :)

Here's a sequence of lights synced to Bee Gee's Stayin Alive I did back in 2008. I had two 8' lighted equalizers on the side of the front porch pillars which turned out really cool. You tube won't let me post it because of the Music...but here it is:
http://cinemarsolutions.com/images/Casc ... nAlive.wmv
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

yzpmpgq

Postby yzpmpgq » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:50 am

It's rather complicated really... :-)

A wireless tablet PC for the touchscreen outside
An access point outside in a weatherproof box (since the touchscreen is too far away from my wireless router to get a good signal)
1 PC running LOR software
A touch on the ML tablet calls a homeseer macro to launch the LOR sequence. I'm not sure why I went through Homeseer in the first place, although I can control the lights from anywhere with my phone over the web (Comes in handy when the street is so backed up we can't get home and the person in the front can't figure out he has to TOUCH the screen for it to start - it even says so in large letters :lol: )

We also have a motion tracking dome camera out front that allows us to watch everything from the theater room. We see some funny stuff... people dancing, TALKING to the touchscreen, taking pictures (of flashing lights at night??), sitting there in front of the house just waiting for someone else to push a button. Since the screen comes on automatically at dusk, we will even have a line of cars just sitting there waiting for it to be dark.

This year, I am adding 10 of the Cosmic Color Ribbons which should be really neat...

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:31 pm

Cool beans.

I'll be interested to see what you end up doing with the Cosmic Color Ribbons.

How were you triggering the sequence through HomeSeer? Just opening the sequence file?
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

yzpmpgq

Postby yzpmpgq » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:42 pm

I use a macro that 1) changes the ML screen to a "Please wait" screen so they can't keep pushing buttons to make it go haywire, 2) calls an autoit script on the LOR PC. It handles stopping anything playing (or the standard show loop if nothing has been truiggered), and launches the new selection 3) Displays an "enjoy the show" screen followed by the input screen after a delay.

Talk about meshing technologies...

Took the first 2 years to add code for all the scenarios I never expected people to do to make it "stupid friendly" :-)

Return to “How are you using MainLobby?”