Intermediate
Intermediate

poss client issues using celeron pos

Postby dreamhost » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:46 pm

Hard to explain, so I'll do my best.
Setup:
MLServer 2.0.196
Mainlobby 2.96.3

I have all cinemar programs on one 'main' computer. I then use a hitachi touchtablet running linux, using vnc to connect to the 'main' computer. It's the only way I could figure out to do rdp with linux.

Problem:
When I send commands directly from the 'main' computer, they work 100% of the time, never a single miss, especially when controling anything via the genericserial plugin.

However when I use the touchtablet to send a command, about 20% of the time nothing 'seems' to happen right away. But, sometimes a few minutes later things start 'kickin' in, and the changes occur.

Now the 'main' computer is nothing more than an old ipaq celeron 498mhz, so i'ts kinda old. I have nothing but cinemar, vnc, girder, installed on the box, and have turned off all uneeded m$ features to optimize it as best as possible. (no firewalls, antivirus, etc, as it's not on an outside network) I do know for sure that mainlobby.exe takes 71-74% cpu even when not doing anything but just 'sittin there'. If I add in anything like cam monitoring cpu is always 100%, so I leave that off for the most part. When I turn the touchpanel on using vnc, cpu is always 100% with just ml on the screen, even a blank page with only a couple of on/off system buttons.

Question:
Am I just asking to much from such an old computer, or is it more possible that since the load is so high, that commands are just kinda getting lost when using the touchpanel?

I dug around but didn't find any real 'minimum specs' for running ml, and as I'm pretty sure all other devs are using much faster systems, I just figured I would post the results from running ml on such a weak system.

When I run the ml suite on my 'beta' rig which is much faster, I do not have these issues with 'missing' commands etc, and cpu is much, much lower.

At the very least we now know that ml won't really run right on a celeron, so it may be worth posting system requirements in the future that explain it better.

(of course once everything is stable, I will def be moving ml to a much better pIV system as I can't wait to replace my old mce2k5 computer with a full blown cinemar rig - just need a few more 'plugins' and I'll be there)
beta system setup:
windows media center 2005
pIV 2.8 (oc 3.0)
2g pc3500
6600gt agp
mce150 tuner card
audigy 2xs
redrat ir blaster
2x lite-on dvd burners 8x
2x 74g raptor boot drives raid
16x 200-500gb storage drives - mostly usb hub attached

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:31 pm

upgrade the PC.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:50 pm

I'd suggest that if you're using that system for either MLServer or ML, you might be okay... but not both. :shock:

dreamhost
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby dreamhost » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:09 pm

gregoryx wrote:I'd suggest that if you're using that system for either MLServer or ML, you might be okay... but not both. :shock:

I kind of suspected as much, being such an old machine. It was just laying around 'collecting dust' so I figued I'd give it a shot. I do not plan on using it for my 'final' system, just for testing.

What would be nice to see though, would be a chart explaining minimum system requirements for different applications. I'm one of those weird folks that would rather have multiple computers running dedicated apps, than to have one 'do it all' machine.

I'm still not certain as to what the 'real world' minimum specs would be for running the ml suite with overlays, video, etc..

I'll go ahead and repost more detail in the public forum, as this is not beta related anymore now that I have my answer about using celerons.
beta system setup:

pIV 2.8 (oc 3.0)

2g pc3500

6600gt agp

mce150 tuner card

audigy 2xs

redrat ir blaster

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:58 pm

dreamhost,
there are so many combinations of things that one can do with MainLobby suite, that a minimum hardware is a tough thing to establish. But, here is an informal shot:

MLServer - why less than 1ghz today? It is probably tough to even buy one this slow.

MLClient - no slower than 800mhz (XPTablet type). Or, RDP to a fast 2.4ghz + machine (for multiple clients - up to 4 my suggestion - add some RAM per client).

MLServer and MLClient - 1.5ghz or better

Video - 2.4ghz or better. Any video processing - 3 ghz single thread or better. HD - 1080i is 3.2ghz or faster (from my memory of Microsoft recommendations) I don't recommend combining applications on a video presentation PC (HTPC). Video just sucks up lots of CPU for quality viewing. Other apps just cause jitters and ruins the affect.

J River Media Center - 800mhz or better (double check with J river - this is just my opinion). Put your media on this PC for faster response. So, larger hard drives.

Now, for combinations of the above, more than the slowest piece plus 25% more for each addition (how's that for informal and unscientific?).

Hope this helps put you in the range.

dreamhost
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby dreamhost » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:17 pm

smoothtlk wrote:dreamhost,
there are so many combinations of things that one can do with MainLobby suite, that a minimum hardware is a tough thing to establish. But, here is an informal shot:

MLServer - why less than 1ghz today? It is probably tough to even buy one this slow.

MLClient - no slower than 800mhz (XPTablet type). Or, RDP to a fast 2.4ghz + machine (for multiple clients - up to 4 my suggestion - add some RAM per client).

MLServer and MLClient - 1.5ghz or better

Video - 2.4ghz or better. Any video processing - 3 ghz single thread or better. HD - 1080i is 3.2ghz or faster (from my memory of Microsoft recommendations) I don't recommend combining applications on a video presentation PC (HTPC). Video just sucks up lots of CPU for quality viewing. Other apps just cause jitters and ruins the affect.

J River Media Center - 800mhz or better (double check with J river - this is just my opinion). Put your media on this PC for faster response. So, larger hard drives.

Now, for combinations of the above, more than the slowest piece plus 25% more for each addition (how's that for informal and unscientific?).

Hope this helps put you in the range.

I totally understand how hard it is to determine as everyone is doing something a bit different. At least it's a decent reference point.
Very informative, and should be added somewhere for everyone to see. I can only imagine how many times your going to be asked the same question over and over again at the trade show.
beta system setup:

pIV 2.8 (oc 3.0)

2g pc3500

6600gt agp

mce150 tuner card

audigy 2xs

redrat ir blaster

Return to “MainLobby Beta”