Still confused on 2.91.50 save

Post beta version feedback on MainLobby releases
justmikie
Intermediate
Intermediate

Still confused on 2.91.50 save

Postby justmikie » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:59 pm

David, I'm still confused, but I'll move out of Mario's announcement post so that I don't make a mess of it.

I thought the benefit of 2.91 was being able to move all my scenes to another directory different than Cinemar, like a sub-directory of Cinemar. Then when loading new versions of MainLobby I wouldn't get me scene folder filled with all the stuff that loads into the Cinemar directory. If that is right, I'm still a little confused on how to go about it. If that's not it, then I'm totally confused (again :( )

So, assuming that I can put all my scenes, backgrounds, etc into a different folder, how exactly do I go about it? Do I have use absolute paths for the start-up scene and the background skins? Do I have to use absolute paths to all the files in the scenes directory?

I know you said you opened and saved all the scenes. Did you put them all in a new directory and then go through that process?

Maybe I'm stuck on the disconnect between what I thought was happening and what is actually happening, and I'm having trouble crossing the chasm

justmikie
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby justmikie » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:06 am

OK, so I changed the startup mainlobby scene to "c:\program files\cinemar\scenes\home.mls". When i started up ML, it opened that scene. then when I executed my startup command map, which has a change scene command in it, it changed to the home.mls in the cinemar directory instead of the cinemar\scenes directory.

Just call me confused ](*,)

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:33 am

I copied all my mls files that were in the Cinemar directory to:
\Cinemar\Demos\EHX\
Then, I went into "home.mls" and changed all links to other scenes to be:
\Demos\EHX\2ndscene.mls
I then changed the startup scene to:
\Demos\EHX\home.mls

Then, go through all other scenes and copy / paste:
\Demos\EHX\
as a prefix to all mls files
so 3rdscene.mls becomes
\Demos\EHX\3rdscene.mls
Save

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:35 am

Mike - not feeling too well - under the weather. So I'll make it pretty brief.

It is performing as expected.

I just want to stop you before modifying all your scenes just yet.

What you are looking for is the ability to assign a scenes folder. WHich hasn't been implemented yet.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

justmikie
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby justmikie » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:25 am

I think I'll stick with the main Cinemar folder for now. I don't have as many scenes as David, but I don't have as much patience to change all my scenes either :?

It would be great if we could just assign a certain folder to hold all the scenes/backgrounds/etc

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:06 pm

Mike,

I think that's a good plan for now until we take it to the next level.

I have another application that has a smiliar procedure to what I was alluding to and that you mentioned.

You would assign a content folder.
Within that folder there might be predefined folders to still keep everything organized.

So it might look like:
Content Folder
> Scenes
> Skins
> Library

Then when the user would browse for say a background skin it would automatically look in the skins folder. As of now, the field returns the full path to the file which isn't good when you are looking to move files to other systems. So we would automatically convert the file path to a relative path making it easily movable to other systems.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

Return to “MainLobby Beta”