My new scenes using 0019 Lib

Help inspire others. Post your screenshots and scene files for all to see and share.
jjjukebox
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby jjjukebox » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:39 pm

TC,

Would you attach a copy of the CNN Headlines script you use for HomeSeer as the one I downloaded doesnt work. And could you explain what HomeSeer device(s) you had to set up for MLHSPlugin.

Scenes look great.

Thanx
J.J. Jukebox

sonypoolplr

Postby sonypoolplr » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:41 am

TCassio,

Like everyone said, they look great. I was wondering where you got the little icons that you are using on the selection buttons.

Thanks.

TCassio
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby TCassio » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:12 pm

Jj,
Attached is the CNN script. I would have provided a link to it but I couldn't fine it. I hope no one gets twisted because of this.

Sony,

I tried out Mediaportal and they had a bunch of .PNG files that I converted to .swf files. Mediaportal is an open source Media management program, mush like MS Media.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mosleyh
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mosleyh » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:46 am

TCassio, thanks for the details.

Some additional questions:

What formatting do you have HS applying to the headlines, or how are you parsing them in ML? The default HTML formatting in the script looks great in HS, but seems to be getting stripped out by the time it populates the MLS variable.

(If you changed the default formatting, it would be in C:\Program Files\HomeSeer 2\Config\CNNSettings.ini)

I wasn't able to get your customized script to run in HS, however the original runs fine. The only difference I could see between the two was this bit:

Code: Select all

sub processdata(oXML)
   hlno = "90"
   'Reset all devices to null
   For hlno = 90 to 99
      virtualdevice = "w" & hlno
      hs.setDeviceString virtualdevice, "" , true
   Next   
   hlno = "90"

BTW, here's the original link for the CNN script and the breaking news script:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.ph ... erid=46235

TCassio
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby TCassio » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:11 am

The original script places all ten headlines into 1 HS device. This looks fine in HS but not in ML. So I split them up and placed them in HS devices w90 thru w99, this way I can display them on different lines in ML.

HTH
T

jjjukebox

Postby jjjukebox » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:08 am

OK I got it to work. I only set up one HS device as per script install messages. Once I set up HS devices w90 - w99 I got the seperate headlines and subscribed the variables with MLHSplugin.

Many Thanx TCassio
J.J. Jukebox

TCassio
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby TCassio » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:33 am

Please keep in mind that I did not Author the script and don't deserve any credit for it. The only thing I've done was add a little change to suit my needs and pass it along.

The author listed in the script is, Dan (xplosiv)

Cudos to Dan.

mosleyh
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mosleyh » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:24 pm

Got it. Thanks again, TCassio.

If anyone is interested, I've developed an approach that gives you one headline that changes every few seconds, rather than 10 separate ones, to save screen space.

I haven't had the time to test the amount of impact it has on other server functions, so your mileage may vary. (at least until MLS can multithread)

Here it is:

First, get TCassio's headline script working and populating the variables.

Second, create the following command maps:

macro.system.headlineinit

MLServeCmd.Macro|SetVariable|HLindex~90!SetVariable|HLboundary~100

macro.system.headline

MLServeCmd.Macro|SetVariable|headline~mlhsplugin_w{{HLindex}}!MLMath|ADD~HLindex~{{HLindex}}~1!!MLConditional|IsEqual##{{HLindex}}##{{HLboundary}}##SetVariable|HLindex~90##

Third, set macro.system.headlineinit to run at startup (using MLStartUp).

Fourth, set a server rule to run macro.system.headline every time {{currentsecond}} changes value (which works out to every 10 - 15 seconds on my system)

Fifth, Place a text box in your scene with {{{{headline}}}} in the label.

Remember that you'll either have to restart MLS, or run macro.system.headlineinit once manually to start it working.

That's it. The text box will show each of the 10 headlines in round-robin order.

mwhistle

Thanks TCassio and mosleyh!

Postby mwhistle » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:58 am

Thanks Tcassio and mosleyh for the CNN Headlines script and ML round-robin. Works just great.

I wouldn't have figured out how to do that myself in 10 lifetimes. Got something to study now.

mosleyh
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mosleyh » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:38 pm

One additional note:

Fourth, set a server rule to run macro.system.headline every time {{currentsecond}} changes value (which works out to every 10 - 15 seconds on my system)

The frequency of the time update (and therefore, of the headline change) is controlled from the settings in MLDateTime plugin. It appears to default to 15 seconds

chrismd77
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chrismd77 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:50 pm

Does anyone have a good tutorial on how to add a script to HomeSeer and or add a device if needed and then get that data into MainLobby? I am sorry if the question seems dumb but I am new to Home Seer and I am having problems finding answers. I am a VB programming by trade and I am looking forward to writing some of my own scripts:) Thanks, Chris

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:46 pm

Chris,
You could always email Cinemar for the MLServer3 SDK and go to town!
PM me if interested.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:54 pm

... or just tear into a WSC plugin...

chrismd77
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chrismd77 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:19 pm

Thanks for the info. I will have to look into maybe playing around with both. At the time being, all I really want to do is get the above script of the CNN headlines to run with in HomeSeer and then pull that data in to MainLobby.

I have HomeSeer talking to MLS fine, but where and how do I add the script within HomeSeer? Noticing the script attached to this post I thought it was pretty easy until I installed HomeSeer. I still can not find a good "HowTo" on this. Anyone? Thanks, Chris

mosleyh
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mosleyh » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:00 pm

Try this:

1. Go to the Homeseer Events Screen

2. Create an event in homeseer called CNN

3. Set trigger to recurring, every 10 minutes

4. Set action to run script :custom_cnn_headlines.txt (it should let you browse to the file)

5. Go to the Homeseer Status Screen

6. Click Add Device

7. Name: Headline 1

8. Type: Virtual

9: Housecode: W90

10. Create 9 more virtual devices the same way - Headline 2/virtual/W91, Headline 3/virtual/W92, and so on to Headline 10/virtual/W99

11. Publish all 10 of the devices from the MLHS plugin

Barring faulty memory on my part, that should get the headlines into MLS variables for you. :)

Return to “User Gallery - Screenshots”