Rules for posting

Help inspire others. Post your screenshots and scene files for all to see and share.
mcascio
Founder
Founder

Rules for posting

Postby mcascio » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:51 am

> MLS files should be in compressed format please with ZIP extension only.
> Scene files should have relative references (not absolute) if you are using outside graphics otherwise, some users may not be able to see some of the graphics.
> No original graphics, skins or files included with the Cinemar software should be contained within your attachments.
> Screenshots should be no larger than 1024x768 and in jpg format and may contain bkgd skins included with our software.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

sfreiman
Expert
Expert

Postby sfreiman » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:05 am

My latest main control screen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:19 am

Ok,

I wonder if we should have each user create their own thread.
They can add screenshots and MLS files to their own thread and users can comment as well.

This will then kind of be like their own portfolio.

sfreiman,
Perhaps you can kick it off by posting to a new thread in this category. And then I'll delete the above.

BTW, great looking UI. Probably one of the best layouts I've seen in a long time. Love the use of many of the graphics found in Library0014.
We've got some more coming in another library that will add some more visual excitement. :)

I'd also recommend that you post the MLS file along with any special graphics library requirements. In the case above, requires GuiGraphix Library0014. This way, users can build the identical scene without wondering why some graphics are not showing up.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

sfreiman
Expert
Expert

Postby sfreiman » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:46 am

Good idea, Mario. I re-posted as a new thread, so you can delete this and my original post.

Thanks for the compliment. I have been spending a lot of time on my new layouts.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:13 am

Love it. Thanks, Mario.

I'm not sure I follow on the "relative references" thing. Do you just mean "outside referenceable URLs"?

So the three methods you're recommending are
1- ZIP MLS/JPG and post the zip as an attachment
2- use "IMG" method to point to remote WWW-accessible JPG
3- post a JPG as an attachment

Sound right? If that's it, I'll put together a guideline on how one might go about getting a screenshot and posting it as an attachment.

If you have a suggestion of a place one could upload a JPG so that it's remotely viewable, let me know and I can outline that as well.

Thanks, again!
:D

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:31 am

relative reference means using:

myscene.mls

instad of

C:\Program Files\Cinemar\myscene.mls

When referncing things in your mls files... this way if someone is using a different files structure (different drive or installed to other than cinemar directory, etc.) everything will still load as you expect.

I've gotten into the habit of using relative paths for everthing in MainLobby. It's especcially usefull when I copy my whole setup onto a flash drive and work on it on other folks' computers (yes, you can run ML off of a flash drive, without installing it on a computer.. you only have to click through a single error message and everything works fine).

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:12 pm

I started making sure I was using relative when I changed my OS layout. My Windows is C drive and my Program Files is D drive. This should keep the c drive less fragmented. Both are on Sil SATA Raid 1 drives (mirrored) in case a hard drive failure, I'm still in business.

BTW, after looking at some of the initial submittions to the Screenshots Gallery, You will NEVER see shots of mine! :( Damn, lots of talent here!

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:02 am

Got it. Yeah... I think mine are relative references... but I'm posting JPGs, not MLSs, so no issues, eh?

C'mon, smooth... can't be worse than my graphics-challenged stuff. :roll:

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:15 am

One thing I learned yesteray regading relative references.

It works for all parts of a scene, but if you reference anything not normally part of a scene, you need an absolute reference.

For example, I launch a few bat files with some buttons. The files are located in the Cinemar directory, however, uisng
myfile.bat
does not work, but
C:\Program Files\Cinemar\myfile.bat
does. Same thing goes for accessing local files via weblobby. I keep some simple web pages in a subdirectory called "web" in my cinemar folder. referencing them with
web\mypage.htm
does not work, but
C:\Program Files\Cinemar\web\mypage.htm
does. So there are some limitations to useing relative references.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:12 am

Mario, Smooth, Krumpy, Dave P, blafarm, the rest of you with working systems: you gonna post? :?

blafarm
Expert
Expert

Postby blafarm » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:20 am

yes, you can run ML off of a flash drive, without installing it on a computer.. you only have to click through a single error message and everything works fine

jrfuda,

After reading your post, I started thinking about using a flash drive to transport my "in-development work" between two or three computers at different locations. I was hoping keep everything in one place - and to avoid having to constantly update programs and files on each computer. Can you really run ML off a flash drive on a computer without having registered the various components - or do you go through the process of registering the components on each computer that you run the flash version off of?

Thanks

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:34 pm

blafarm,

Yes, you realy can run ML off of a flash drive without registering diddly squat!

The only thing that happens is that an error message pops-up that saiys their was an error registering slinke.ocx (or something like that). Mario posted previously that ML registers that file whenever it starts, but since I don't use it, the error message goes away with a simple click.

You have to click it within a couple of seconds, though, or your ML will open crammed into a corner.

I copied my ML install from my tablet at home to a flash drive and I can now edit it anywhere I want. You can use GoodSync ( http://www.goodsync.com/ ) to synch your files between your flashdrive and your ML installation, so the latest changes from each overwrite the older files on each (just make sure that whatever PC you use with the flash drive and your ML client have clocks that are set relatively close together.)

blafarm
Expert
Expert

Postby blafarm » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:57 pm

Thanks jrfuda.

That's great news - but I must admit also it's suprising, as I and others have had our share of problems that seemed to be solved by registering files.

Thanks for the quick response.

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:08 pm

blafarm wrote:... it's suprising, as I and others have had our share of problems that seemed to be solved by registering files.

Ahh... I think you're thinking of MLServer, which require registration out the ying-yang.

Perhaps ML does register more than the slinke.ocx, but whatever else it registers, it's not neccessary for simply editing scenes.

Remember, you're not going to have the same functionality you have nomrally.. Things that depend on MLServer and/or a network connection won't work (variables, DVDLobby, WeatherLobby, etc.). It's just for plain and simple scene editing.

blafarm
Expert
Expert

Postby blafarm » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:34 pm

Ahh... I think you're thinking of MLServer, which require registration out the ying-yang.

You're absolutely right - I was thinking it was both apps that need registration - when it is primarily MLS. Thanks for that.

I've got a couple of laptops hanging around and it occurs to me that I can set one up with MLS to look and behave just like my primary server at home - so that I can kind of replicate a good part of my environment when I'm on the move. Guess I'll soon get a good lesson in absolute vs. relative references.

Thanks

Return to “User Gallery - Screenshots”