HVAC System Screen Captures

Help inspire others. Post your screenshots and scene files for all to see and share.
jespeed

HVAC System Screen Captures

Postby jespeed » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:02 pm

Hello All,

With the help of Dave in getting the Proliphix drivers tuned up I was able to complete my HVAC control screens. I have two HVAC systems in my home. One is a gas fired furnace with AC and the other is a high efficiency heat pump with aux heat strips.

The HVAC control screen has all of the status and control items for each HVAC unit. It also shows the 4 external sensors hooked up to the two thermostats. This screen is set up so that only the applicable controls are active for the currently selected HVAC mode. This helps to make it somewhat wife proof. LOL. I have also programmed a "1 HOUR" run button for each HVAC system fan. When you press this button it will run that systems fan for one hour and display a countdown timer to show time remaining for that one hour run. After the hour has elapsed the fan will return to auto. This is used to circulate some air without heating or cooling. The four external sensors are used to monitor outside temp, crawlspace temp, HVAC #1 DUCT Temp and HVAC #2 DUCT Temp. I monitor crawlspace temp to determine if that area is getting close to freezing. Had some pipes burst a couple of years ago. If this temp gets to 32 Deg F it will text my phone to let me know. I monitor the duct temps to help determine how the system is operating. In the past the AC system has failed in the middle of summer and the wife did not notice. This will allow one to see if the unit is performing as expected or if it is just wasting energy and not cooling at all. Helps to detect when the system needs maintenance.

The next screen is the reports screen. This screen lists all of the run times for each HVAC mode and the fan run times. It is divided into daily run times. There are also monthly run time totals for each mode. Each week the daily run times get reset but they get added to the monthly totals first. On the first of each month the monthly totals get reset. You can also manually reset each timer from this screen. It is also possible to reset the filter reminder once a new filter has been installed. This screen also has the alarm status indicators for each thermostat. One for high temp, low temp and filter replacement reminder. You will also notice a section labeled "Special Time For Heat". Typically, each HVAC system follows a schedule for setpoints. This works great as long as my wife and I follow our normal routine. Sometimes this is not the case and we have to get up earlier than usual. Well, we were getting up to a cold house and having to manually set each thermostat and then wait for the house to heat up. This section allows you to select the hour and minute that you want the system to go to their higher setpoints the night before. After this function has fired it will automatically disable it self. It is a one time thing so there is no need to remember to disable it when we return to our normal routine.

The last screen is the charting screen. This screen was created using TChart. It enables me to plot the data from any combination of the 6 temperatures I currently monitor. You can also chart the daily and monthly run times. All of these points are stored in an Access database. The temperatures are stored every 5 minutes and the run times are stored every 30 minutes. The monthly run times are stored before they are reset at the end of each month. This allows a month to month trend of run times that will also help determine if the system is running normally. The time selectors at the top of the page allow one to set the start and end times of the data to be charted. Believe me, when you see the data in chart format you realize how the system is really running compared to what you think is happening.

Just wanted to share what is possible with the HVAC drivers supplied by cinemar. There are many possibilities for screen layouts and functions. I will be happy to share any code or help others that may want to make screens or functions similar to mine. I am also open to any suggestions on improving my current setup.

Take care,

Jim Spence
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Take care,

Jim Spence

ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Re: HVAC System Screen Captures

Postby ronsatter » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:22 pm

Jim,

This is a very impressive piece of work! Congratulations.

This project looks like an excellent "How-To" tutorial candidate. I'm sure lots of forum members would appreciate a "HVAC For Dummies" write up, including me. I had no idea it was possible to collect and track this much information from an HVAC system. Obviously a big selling point to anyone building a "Greener" energy home.

If you have the time, please post more detail about how you created this. It's the bomb! =D>

Thanks to Cinemar for updating the drivers.

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:27 pm

Well done!! Very nice work. Very organized and looks to be easy to use.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

jespeed

Postby jespeed » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:58 am

Ron and Dave,

Thank you for the comments. I will post a more detailed write up when I get some time.

If there are any specific questions I can answer them also.

Take care,

Jim Spence
Take care,

Jim Spence

Return to “User Gallery - Screenshots”