My 3.75 Theater Control Scenes

Help inspire others. Post your screenshots and scene files for all to see and share.
varun

Postby varun » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:23 am

Your scenes look really good. Great job!

I especially like the 8 column wide x 3 row thumbnail view, which displays a lot of movies at one time.

I'm looking to incorporate much of what you have done, but in a more streamlined function simply using a bluetooth wireless mouse to control the interface directly on my 16:9 104" theater screen. I have found no one who is using my setup misses a remote control when they can have the power and speed of a mouse to control the interface.

I think a nice interface would continue the thumbnail view on the left, have the larger well that displays the selected movie on the right, and then has buttons along the bottom with all the genres, instead of relying on the floating slide-out menu. I like your idea of having a button for info on the movie that brings up the movie description. I think having larger thumbnails and removing a lot of the gray border would have much more visual impact. I like the vertical slider that you have incorporated to jump through the movies quickly - nice touch.

Also, I notice you have a lot of buttons to fiddle with the aspect ratios of the movies. I'm not sure why you have to do this. Couldn't you simply create custom entries in the DVDlobby database for movies that need to be launched with a different aspect ratio? I use zoomplayer to view movies not theatertek, and with zoomplayer, it is a simple parameter that is passed. /AR:2 is the automatic derived aspect ratio, /AR:3 is widescreen, /AR:5 is 2.35:1, etc. Maybe that was in your older versions as your newer ones look much cleaner.

Why not make the thumbnails larger and remove that big gray bar at the bottom of the screen?

Could you upload your mls scenes for the main browse window?

Thanks!

Varun

ebr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby ebr » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:38 am

Thanks for the ideas, Varun. I left the border just because it matches the rest of my scenes. That area typically houses buttons on my touchscreen. On the big screen interface it has some info, but, I agree it is largely just taking up space. However, making the thumbs and their pages larger is quite an undertaking in the ML designer interface. Each one consists of a thumb and a frame that have to be sized and positioned exactly right. So I think I will probably live with it as is for now.

I also like having the genre's in the sliding menu because it keeps the interface cleaner. It is necessary on my touchpanel scenes because there just isn't room for them anywhere else and I think putting all those buttons on the bottom of the screen would clutter up the interface with elements that are only used a small percentage of the time. Accessing a particular genre is as easy as two button pushes on my remote.

Speaking of my remote, I am a hard-button remote kind of guy. That's why I like the HTM remotes so much. I've tried lots of different remotes including all the fancy touchscreen ones and I operate best with something like the MX series. My thumb knows where everything is and can quickly find it in the dark. Also, I have several sources other than my htpc (Satellite, PS3, HD-A2) that I could not control at all with a mouse. My MX-850 works seamlessly with all of them now though.

As for the aspect ratios, again, with multiple sources I cannot rely on TT for aspect control. I have an external scaler that I use only for this purpose. It is controlled via RS232 commands from ML. The buttons on my touchpanel scenes allow me to adjust the aspect ratio properly regardless of the source. I also have buttons on my remote for each aspect ratio.

After I have fully tested these new scenes I will probably upload them in a new zip. However, 80% of the functionality resides at the server so they would serve as a visual guide only.

Thanks again for the comments.

T.Wells
Intermediate
Intermediate

Awesome!

Postby T.Wells » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:27 am

Wow! I really need to do this in my home theater. Any guidance on how to get started? I too would love to ditch the Tablet Kiosk in that room and just use the screen. I also would be controlling things via an MX-850 but through a USBIR6.

Thanks,
T.Wells

ebr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby ebr » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:20 pm

Thanks T. Check out my post in the "10 foot screen" thread. It lays out the basics of what I've done.

Return to “User Gallery - Screenshots”