My Theater control scenes - Updated with 3.75 preview

Help inspire others. Post your screenshots and scene files for all to see and share.
ebr
Intermediate
Intermediate

My Theater control scenes - Updated with 3.75 preview

Postby ebr » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:21 pm

I've created a setup to control my home theater using DVDLobby on a Progear and a TabletKiosk i7209.

First, for reference my Rack layout:

The pertinent components for this project being:

- Progear touch tablet PC which runs my modified version of DVDLobby
- External DVD drive (hooked to the HTPC remote located in the storage area) for rental DVD playback
- Monitor for the HTPC/Mainlobby machine.

The other component is the EO Tabletkiosk i7209 for which I've created a "Now Playing" Mainlobby scene for visual control of the current feature. What's cool is I've been able to also make the hard buttons on it work to control Play, Pause, next, prev, volume, etc. So, it functions as a cool touch panel remote and a "no look" hard button remote at the same time.

And, here's a closeup of my modified Mainlobby scenes:

I've modified the standard DVDLobby interface to be thumbnails only and have fewer buttons and options (make it real easy for the wife/babysitters). I've also added functionality to set the proper aspect ratio in TheaterTek as well as power on/off my entire system (and it even gives visual cues by lighting up the power button green when everything is on).

Since I eliminated all the DVDLobby views other than thumbnails I also modified what happens when someone selects a movie. In standard DVDLobby, touching the large cover art will play that movie. I've changed it to instead bring up a larger overview scene. I think this is more intuitive and cleans up the interface a bit (IMO).

Playing the movie is now accomplished by hitting the "Play" button on either the main scene or overview scene. When you do that, it automatically sends that information to the smaller TabletKiosk and it brings up a Now Playing scene for control of the movie.

From there you can do all the normal stuff with either touch screen icons or hard buttons. This includes powering on/off the system again (and again with visual feedback) and volume control - including some pre-sets for really rockin out and for immediately going to a "quiet" mode when the wife comes pounding on the door because the IB is shaking the house ;).

Finally, you can also get to the DVD catalog on the TabletKiosk. I had to modify the interface once again to make it small enough to operate on the 7" screen (the Progear is a 10" screen).

That's about it for now. I'm sure I'll keep tweaking but at this point the only thing I cannot control with all this new stuff is my Grafik Eye. I could do it but I just don't know if its worth messing with Girder just for that functionality.

Thanks Mario, Dave and crew for the help so far along the way and for the great system. Also, thanks to Kurt for his plugin for my Pioneer receiver.
Last edited by ebr on Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:49 pm

Looking good. Something to definitely be proud of.

I'm working on porting all of the 0019 scenes over to an 800x480 display for devices like the Tablet Kiosk and Samsung Q1. They have a slightly different look to take advantage of some newer graphics that are being added to Library0019. So far, I'm liking the way they look.

We will post an update when they are available.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

ebr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Update

Postby ebr » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:40 pm

I replaced my progear with a touch-screen monitor hooked up to a real PC. The Progear was just too slow. The new screen is only 800x600 so I had to re-design my main DVDLobby interface. I went ahead and made it look like the ones I did for the EO and I like it better.

Here's the main screen:

And the overview screen that comes up when you touch the big cover art:

ccharmatz
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby ccharmatz » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:24 am

Mario did you ever finish porting the scenes? And could you point me in their direction please.

Charles..

mcascio wrote:Looking good. Something to definitely be proud of.

I'm working on porting all of the 0019 scenes over to an 800x480 display for devices like the Tablet Kiosk and Samsung Q1. They have a slightly different look to take advantage of some newer graphics that are being added to Library0019. So far, I'm liking the way they look.

We will post an update when they are available.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:29 am

Charles,

Check in your Cinemar\content\800x480\scenes folder.
You'll need to set the Content folder to the above location too.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

ccharmatz
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby ccharmatz » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:38 am

Doh!!!

Thank you.

couj

Postby couj » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:47 am

Ebr

Any chance of letting others download your screens?

ebr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby ebr » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:00 am

Not sure how useful they will be to anyone else, but here they are...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

couj

Postby couj » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:53 pm

I realise that the underlying commands won't work, but I'm more interested in the layout and design that you've used.

Thanks for putting these up.

Cheers

Justin

ebr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby ebr » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:44 pm

Nevermind...

ccharmatz
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby ccharmatz » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:45 pm

Sorry about that ebr, swore I was logged in.

Charles.

ebr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby ebr » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:30 pm

Here's a preview of what I'm working on for DVDLobby 3.75.

I've added a tab-like interface to the movie thumbnails to allow you to filter the list and easily find a movie:

Clicking on the "All", "Music" or "New" tabs brings up the appropriate view of the library:

Clicking on the "Genre" tab slides out a menu to choose a genre/rating by which to filter:

Note the chosen filter shows in the yellow label below the thumbnails.

And, finally, I've updated my overview scene (which is accessed by clicking the big coverart in the main scene) to allow you to see the rear art of the dvd case. Clicking the coverart on the overview scene toggles back and forth between front and rear covers:

Its mostly functional now but I'm not using it yet as some more changes appear to be coming to 375 before final release. I'm really digging what they've done though as it allows me to do what I've always wanted to with my DVDLobby interface. Thanks Cinemar!

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:37 pm

ebr, looks fantastic!
Just what we envisioned for DVDLobby375.

keep it up!

Return to “User Gallery - Screenshots”