Quick question

If you have created a unique MLServeCmd that performs a unique task, please post it here so others can learn from them.
donburkard
Expert
Expert

Quick question

Postby donburkard » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:16 am

In the wiki on the power dvd it says...

Supported Commands

Syntax:
MLPowerDVD|<<alias>>~<<command>>~<<parameter>>

Have a few simple stupid questions.

1 first what is syntax? Is that just meaning an example?

2 what is <<alias>>? Is that where i put where i want the actual camand to happen? For example if im using a laptop and want to play a movie on my htpc do i put laptop in the <<alias>> position?

3 Same question for command. Do i put Play in the command position?

4 What is the paramiter position for?

Sorry that these are such simple questions to most of you guys but i appreciate any help you can give me so i can start to figure some of this stuff on my own.

deanb2

Re: Quick question

Postby deanb2 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:18 pm

donburkard wrote:1 first what is syntax? Is that just meaning an example?

In this case, syntax is a definition of the command format.
donburkard wrote:2 what is <<alias>>? Is that where i put where i want the actual camand to happen? For example if im using a laptop and want to play a movie on my htpc do i put laptop in the <<alias>> position?

<<alias>> is the name that you give to a machine when you add it to the PowerDVD plugin.
donburkard wrote:3 Same question for command. Do i put Play in the command position?

Command would be PLAYMOVIE, PLAY, PAUSE, etc. the commands are listed on the wiki page.
donburkard wrote:4 What is the paramiter position for?

Parameter is an argument for commands that need one, i.e. the file name for the PLAYMOVIE command.

Code: Select all

MLPowerDVD|PDVD1~PLAYMOVIE~D:\Video\MovieTitle\Adv_Obj\Discid.dat

It looks like PLAYMOVIE is the only command that takes a parameter.

Dean

Pinnace0

Postby Pinnace0 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:15 pm

For me (non-programmer) It is easiest to look at this way...

The Wiki uses two kinds of examples “Literal” and “Syntax”

A “Literal example” would be…
MLServeCmd.MLPowerDVD|Pow_DVD~PLAYMOVIE~D:\movies\Patton\Video_TS\Video_TS.ifo

Literal examples should be examples of actual commands. The above command tells Cinemar to access “Pow_DVD” and Play the movie that is in located the D: drive. You should be able to copy a literal example directly from the wiki into a scene.

A “syntax Example” would be…

A syntax example is like a literal example except it shows the various spots in a command where the programmer has options to modify the command. These option locations are shown in “<<>>”. To experienced users a syntax example is all that is needed as it shows the structure of the command and options available. Beginners (and nonprogrammers like me) need both a literal and syntax example to understand what is required.

2 what is <<alias>>? Is that where i put where i want the actual camand to happen? For example if im using a laptop and want to play a movie on my htpc do i put laptop in the <<alias>> position?

I don’t have Power DVD but I am assuming it is like Theatertek in which case Alais is where the HTPC's PC name (or IP address preferably) is changed to an Alias e.g., "Pow_DvD". An alias provides flexibility when programming.

Alias syntax and setup is always the hardest part of the code for me to understand. When I have a problem - 9 out of 10 times I got the alias wrong.

Command is usually the action you wqant the software to take what you want to do. In your example the Wiki lists several examples that can be use (Play,stop, pause, etc).

4 What is the parameter position for?

Parameter is a refinement of the command. In the your example the command is to play a movie - "parameter" in this instance states where the movie is located (D:\movies\Patton\Video_TS\Video_TS.ifo)

If Wiki does not show bot<textarea name="message" rows="15" cols="35" wrap="virtual" style="width:450px" tabindex="3" class="post" onselect="storeCaret(this);" onclick="storeCaret(this);" onkeyup="storeCaret(this);">For me (non-programmer) It is easiest to look at this way...

The Wiki uses two kinds of examples “Literal” and “Syntax”

A “Literal example” would be…
MLServeCmd.MLPowerDVD|Pow_DVD~PLAYMOVIE~D:\movies\Patton\Video_TS\Video_TS.ifo

Literal examples should be examples of actual commands. The above command tells Cinemar to access “Pow_DVD” and Play the movie that is in located the D: drive. You should be able to copy a literal example directly from the wiki into a scene.

A “syntax Example” would be…

A syntax example is like a literal example except it shows the various spots in a command where the programmer has options to modify the command. These option locations are shown in “<<>>”. To experienced users a syntax example is all that is needed as it shows the structure of the command and options available. Beginners (and nonprogrammers like me) need both a literal and syntax example to understand what is required.

I don’t have Power DVD but I am assuming it is like Theatertek in which case Alais is where the HTPC's PC name (or IP address preferably) is changed to an Alias e.g., "Pow_DvD". An alias provides flexibility when programming.

Alias syntax and setup is always the hardest part of the code for me to understand. When I have a problem - 9 out of 10 times I got the alias wrong.

Command is usually the action you wqant the software to take what you want to do. In your example the Wiki lists several examples that can be use (Play,stop, pause, etc).

4 What is the parameter position for?

Parameter is a refinement of the command. In the your example the command is to play a movie - "parameter" in this instance states where the movie is located (D:\movies\Patton\Video_TS\Video_TS.ifo)

If Wiki does not show both a literal and syntax example post the syntax example on the board. Someone will translate it in a more easily understood literal example.

Good Luck

Craig

Return to “MLServeCmd Examples”