Date Format Bug..ARRRGGHH

Report any bugs you may notice in TVLobby
stevew

Date Format Bug..ARRRGGHH

Postby stevew » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:33 pm

After waiting more than a year for an xmltv import option for TVlobby in the UK, I have learnt some programming and written my own in less than 48 hrs! Thousands of graphics....but no xmltv import - priorities guys! end of rant!

Anyway, most of the time was spent trying to get the data to appear, my tests importing from excel at the end of last year worked fine... but the data I was importing from my program just wouldn't appear correctly.

I have finally tracked down the BUG!

If you are running a pc in Europe the short date format in windows is dd/MM/yyyy. With the system set this way these are the results you get:

and

Note the date in the top left of the grid 3/1, and the date in the channel guide 1/3.

However setting the date of the pc forward to the 13th it all starts to work!

So somewhere in the code they are validating the date format by seeing if it is greater than 12....and therefore can't be a month - sack them - lol!

This is listings independant as I have tested with US zap listings and the same occurs.

Setting the short date format in windows/control panel/ regional and language settings/regional options/ customise - to short date format MM/dd/yyyy then it all works.

So if you want to replicate this bug, just set the above setting to dd/MM/yyyy.

Please, please, please fix this soon.

Thanks

Steve.

dmcvie

Postby dmcvie » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:44 pm

Wow, nice screens Steve. Are you using the new graphics library to build these?

Dave

stevew

Postby stevew » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:53 pm

dmcvie wrote:Wow, nice screens Steve. Are you using the new graphics library to build these?

Dave

Yep, basically out of the box, I haven't had time to play round with them yet. I only bought TVlobby and the Graphics17 on saturday.

Steve.

greyt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Date Format Bug..ARRRGGHH

Postby greyt » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:16 pm

stevew wrote:
So if you want to replicate this bug, just set the above setting to dd/MM/yyyy.

Please, please, please fix this soon.

Thanks

Steve.

Change your region to US rather than UK and it will work fine. Had the same problem - but can't really blame cinemar when the plugin is for US TV listings, they never claimed it worked internationally.

Where are you getting TV listings from for the UK? I am currently getting them from www.bleb.org

stevew

Re: Date Format Bug..ARRRGGHH

Postby stevew » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:37 pm

greyt wrote:
Change your region to US rather than UK and it will work fine. Had the same problem - but can't really blame cinemar when the plugin is for US TV listings, they never claimed it worked internationally.

Where are you getting TV listings from for the UK? I am currently getting them from www.bleb.org

Well, I can't really change my region... as I have so many other applications that rely on it.

Currently I am using XMLTV GUI http://www.birtles.org.uk/xmltv/ which will download the listings from radio times. I'm then using a modified dtd and a java application to write the results into the mdb. Once I get round the poxy 32mb heap memory limit that the java runtime has, I'll be able to download and process all the current satellite channels.

I've got the sports and movie buttons working now, not far off having the actors database populated. Then onto station icons...which I think I have sussed. I'll keep you informed.

Steve

greyt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby greyt » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:52 am

If you are interested I have updated my code to support all TV listings, Actors and categories are also populated. I have changed to the Radio Times data (thanks for the pointer!)

Would be interested if you work out how the TV icons work though!

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:24 pm

greyt,

Were you having the same problems with Date as Steve was in his version?

We were working on an update to support Steve's request for the date change.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

stevew

Postby stevew » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:17 pm

greyt, I have sent you a pm.

mario, thanks for taking a look at this for me. greyt also had this problem, but was able to run his machine with the date format set in US style. Unfortunately I can't do that on my TVLobby server, hence the request.

Once the machine running the TVLobby server is set to MM/dd/yyyy, the clients all function correctly, so I guess the error is on the server side.

Thanks

Steve

Return to “TVLobby Public Bug Reports”