Installation directory issues

Report any bugs you may notice in TVLobby
Wysocki
Intermediate
Intermediate

Installation directory issues

Postby Wysocki » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:44 pm

I just d/l'd TVlobby and I'm installing it on one of my Progear client PCs. It asked for the default installation directory (prompting for c:\program files\cinemar which I changed to c:\program files\mainlobby) and it proceeded to install. Now it's says:
Thank you for purchasing Cinemar's MLTVLobby PlugIn Version 1.5.0.13.
Please shut down MainLobby Server before proceeding.
Then locate the folder MainLobby Server is installed within.
The default folder is C:\Program Files\MLServer

Well, yeah, but not on this client pc!!!! So I change the installation folder to \\htpc\c\Program Files\MLServer but now it says "that folder already exists, do you wish to proceed anyway?".

HOW THE F*** DO I KNOW!!!! It should clarify just why it would be looking for the server folder and why it doesn't seem to expect that MLserver is on ANOTHER MACHINE! It'd be nice to have a readme.txt or something else included in the zip file I downloaded instead of just setup.exe.

I was hoping to get a trial version of TVlobby since I've had some other disappointments with the suite, and this installation fiasco is beginning to confirm that I may be having regrets for purchasing it.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:58 pm

wysocki,
TVLobby is a MLServer plugin. MLServer should be installed to the default directory to ease the pain in such circumstances. You are right, MLServer could (likely) be running on a different PC.

So, Hopefully your MLServer is installed in the c:\program files\MLServer directory. Just RDP into the PC that is running MLServer, shut it down, and run the tvlobby setup. This will basically copy the tvlobby database into the mlserver\data directory and install the tvlobby.dll into the mlserver\plugins directory and register the dll with windows.

Then, on each client, you will install a tvlobby.swf file and create a tvlobby.mls scene and add the tvlobby.swf to a button so you can move / resize the tvlobby guide on the page.

Then, restart MLServer and click on tvlobby in the plugins list, click setup. Set the configuration up for your zap account information. Download only 1 day for testing purposes. You can always go back and download more, but 1 day will take a few minutes, 14 days takes 20 minutes (or so). Once you see the progress bar advise that the data is coming down and then finished, then open the MLClient tvlobby.mls page and look at the guide. You then have to configure the tvlobby MLServer plugin on what to do when you hit the Watch button (send IR commands or whatever).

Make sense?

Wysocki
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Wysocki » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:49 pm

I understand what you're saying. But what I'M saying is that the installation program has ALWAYS been very kludgy. I actually preferred the old days when an ML update was a zip file that had you just overwrite the exe and whatever pertinent library or mls files you wished. Now, it offers no control over what it's going to replace or overwrite. The default folder used to be mainlobby, now it's cinemar. Ok, but if I browse to my mainlobby folder, the installation still insists on putting a cinemar folder beneath it to hold tvlobby. I abhor the practice (that now has become so common) of software companies insisting on putting their company name in the folder structure. I really don't care nor remember that acme corp wrote xyz application. I just want to be able to easily locate the app name in my program files folder and company names just obfuscate it. But, I'm starting to vent and stray from my main point...

Like most people using ML, I have the app running on remote workstations and the MLserver installed on my HTPC. The HTPC does NOT have the client installed on it. There should be two install programs, one that runs on the machine with MLserver, and the other one that runs on the client machines.

[EDIT:] I just noticed that the setup.exe installed a program setup_tvlobby_plugin.exe in my workstation. THAT program evidently is the one that should be run from the server, and the server installation should NOT be run from within the setup.exe but rather there should be a message saying "Now run setup_tvlobby_plugin.exe from the computer where MLserver is installed".

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:40 pm

I have posted this may times before - I install to a different drive, then move the files over one by one. this is to make sure nothing gets overwritten, but also to know what got updated for troubleshooting prevention.

Return to “TVLobby Public Bug Reports”