Same channel information on a different channel number.

Post your suggestions for improving TVLobby here
kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Same channel information on a different channel number.

Postby kgudge » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:19 am

Multiple channels.

I have several channels which appear on both single channel providers and multiple channel providers.

For instance channel VH1 is on both channel 13 and channel 29 of my cable box. Same for QVC although this is less of an issue as it *never* ges watched.

;-)

Hallmark is provided via my cable and OTA services.

Currently I can only show 1 instance of each channel in TVLobby, if I grab more than one channel of data, it gets filtered and only 1 channel is visible (also if the grabbed channels display different broadcast programs it displays two listings one over the other which looks awful).
DVDLobby, MuL, JRMC, TV Lobby, DVD Profiler.

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:58 am

I can definitely see an issue with creating the database in such a context, so if you could upload the files for 1 day of data (xml, channel_ids, compacted tv.mdb) and limited stations, I would take a look...

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:11 am

I rechecked the TVListings.xml file that you had sent previously, and that VH1 case is pathological... Both descriptions are identical, (id, name, icon), so I don't really see how I could extract multiple channels from it unless you get Radio Time to fix it by including more information... Or if you can somehow modify them before they are sent from the web site...

If the channels had the same content, there would be ways to use multiple entries in the channel map to do that, which I suspect is the best that can be done...

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:24 am

I was going to seperate them by channel number, 12 and 29.

For Hallmark I think OTA is channel 7 and Cable is 28.

When I install freeview or freesat this will become more important as I will have 14 or so duplicate channels across ota, cable and freeXXXX.

Rather than work out macros to switch devices and channels I'd rather just call the relevant channel on the selected device.

Rgds

Kevin

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:52 am

How easy is it to download 2 different sets of TVListings.xml to 2 different folders? Maybe using 2 accounts? That would be one way to address the different content on 2 channels with the same name but different number/lineup.

If we assume same content on 2 channels, then it's much easier and can be done from the channel map...

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:22 pm

I really don't know about the content stuff since this going to be more usefull when I get freexxxx.

For now defeintly all channels have the same content. I'm thinking pull 1 set of content from xmltv and use multiple channel mappings for each duplicate with a different channel number.

;-)

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:53 pm

OK, I think this will work without breaking anything, but it needs testing... ;)

TVListings version 3.0.63

- Added support to remap a single channel content to multiple channel number/lineup.
Last edited by Fonceur on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

MurrayW
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby MurrayW » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Here is something I did several years ago to remap channels. I'm sure it could be improved upon using MLScripts or possibly including this in the plugin. I'm not sure if this would help in this case, but just thought I would mention it in case it did:

http://www.cinemaronlineforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=37605

Murray

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:16 pm

MurrayW wrote:Here is something I did several years ago to remap channels.

Interesting. Though by now the channelNumber field has been changed to a float, so the database can accept 18.1. Also the actual problem here was that the channelID was the same for multiple channel number/lineup...

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:28 pm

Fonceur wrote:
MurrayW wrote:Here is something I did several years ago to remap channels.

Interesting. Though by now the channelNumber field has been changed to a float, so the database can accept 18.1. Also the actual problem here was that the channelID was the same for multiple channel number/lineup...
Actually just changing it to float would not have fixed the problem. My problem was that the data I was getting from the previous provider didn't give me the channel number that I wanted to use. Anyway, that was several years ago and probably doesn't apply to this problem.

Murray

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:27 am

Goes pop, lots of errors whilst processing the xml, goes pop, empty db, this is both with duplicates and without duplicates in the channel map.

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:06 am

kgudge wrote:Goes pop, lots of errors whilst processing the xml, goes pop, empty db, this is both with duplicates and without duplicates in the channel map.

Oops, that quick feature was messy, I cleaned it up now... ;)

TVListings version 3.0.64

- Fix for 3.0.63.
Last edited by Fonceur on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:18 am

Sorry been fighting with the MLYamaha plugin. Will run it through it's paces this afternoon.

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:47 am

Good news, no crash, bad news only actors in the DB, program and channel tables are empty.

Log shows lots of these entries:
data time - found in array: 0

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:24 pm

Hmm, the usual tv.mdb and screenshots would probably help... ;)

TVListings version 3.0.65

- More debugging text...
Last edited by Fonceur on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TVLobby Feature Requests”