Support this........

Post your suggestions for improving TVLobby here
kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Support this........

Postby kgudge » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:07 pm

For TVLobby 3.75 (HeHe) this looks like a good place to start......

http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun_dvbt
DVDLobby, MuL, JRMC, TV Lobby, DVD Profiler.

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Re: Support this........

Postby Fonceur » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:40 am

Since TV lobby isn't a PVR application as such, that kind of request would be better suited for Beyond TV, Sage TV and so on...
MLComDevice: Control serial/TCP device (ASCII/hex) - MLSchedule: Alternative to MLScheduler
MLBeyondTV and MLSageTV: PVR support - TChanger: Sony BDP-CX7000ES 400 disc Bluray changer
TRadio: Sirius/HD/XM radio - TChart: Chart from variable Wiki

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:01 am

I think the request is more along the lines of turning TV Lobby into a TV controller, scheduler and PVR application that is tied to DVD lobby and thus reduce the dependency on third party applications.... Very similar to what has been done with Music Lobby.

Sorry, I know you are the creator of the others.....
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:47 pm

That won'T happen any year soon. There is a very significant difference on the amount of work it would take to code all of what you ask from scratch. BTW, MusicLobby too uses 3rd party components, like most all modern software.
The issues should what is required beyond what exists now. So few people have commented at all that until quite a few do, it would not be worth putting any more effort into TV support. I tend to think there is so much that can be done no that users have no idea on because they haven't tried any of what is easily available now with MLSageTV and MLBeyondTV.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:59 am

I know that third party is used, but there is a difference between imbedded or integrated third party and third part products out on an island. There are issues with both Sage and Beyond, not with the plug in's, but the applications. That debate continues on.

Another issue is user base as you said. I have been around here long enough to know that TVLobby is someplace in the mid to low level total user scale. It is one of the least requested modules I use. I typically set up the screen to send IR out through a GC-100 to control either the cable or Sat tuners and do not use TVlobby at all. The cable and sat companies have far better program guides, and that takes load off the MLS system, and most now have very good PVR functionality.

To take this a step further, most of my customers use MCE, So on a personel level, I would rather see a good MCE integration module for touch screen control. You can do it now through Girder, but it requires lots of things to go right!

I would just like to see the module conform to the 3.75 standards for open interface design when the time is right. There is much more for Dave and company to do that is higher on the list than this.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Droezel

Postby Droezel » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:26 am

For MCE touch screen remote control you can use this application (install on the mce machine):

http://www.kindel.com/products/mcecontroller/

You can then control MCE like this:

Code: Select all

MLTCPSend|Sendcrlf~MCECOMPUTER~up

More info on my MCE project here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13641

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:55 pm

Perfect - I will give it a go! If this works the way I think, I can also extend this to all of my screens in my bedrooms. I have MCE extenders in each bedroom as an extension from my main media server, which is also my PVR. Thanks! =D>
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:20 pm

Kgudge; There is nothing like me completely hijacking a thread!! :roll: Sorry!
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:08 am

DaveB wrote:I think the request is more along the lines of turning TV Lobby into a TV controller, scheduler and PVR application that is tied to DVD lobby

Which is like asking a car manufacturer to add "vertical landing" to one of his model, since there is an helipad on your building, brushing under the carpet the fact that they'll have to convert the car to an airplane first...
MLComDevice: Control serial/TCP device (ASCII/hex) - MLSchedule: Alternative to MLScheduler
MLBeyondTV and MLSageTV: PVR support - TChanger: Sony BDP-CX7000ES 400 disc Bluray changer
TRadio: Sirius/HD/XM radio - TChart: Chart from variable Wiki

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:22 am

We know all of that - see my post above to DavidL...
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:40 am

@DaveB no problem for hijacking the thread....

@DavidL My needs are simple, TVLobby does everything I need/want.

For me being UK based, I have to rely on XMLTV, which changes reguarly, to be fair usually because the Radio Times data changes.
This breaks either XMLTV, the grabber or importer in TVLobby. It simply isn't reliable enough to use.
SageTV works in the same way via an XMLTV grabber.

My setup is really simple. I dont have a PVR (I had a VCR for 5 years and recorded two programs!) all I want is an EPG from TVLobby. That way when I choose TV I can optionally look to see what is on. Fonceur did some excellent work with me and I was able to get seperate listings for cable, of air and Digital TV on different TVLobby screens. This met all my needs from TVLobby but only works for a few days/ or weeks before one of the layers breaks something.

http://community.digiguide.com/default.asp?th=addins is somthing I'm currently looking at to see if this will work more reliably than XMLTV.

I really like TVLobby itself, if it worked reliably I would use it (I even paid the money and purchased it ;-) ).

With regard to the HDHome run, being a IP based device I thought a plugin like the excellent NMT plugin would allow TVLobby to record TV programs, which I could then watch via my NMT.

Rgds

Kevin
DVDLobby, MuL, JRMC, TV Lobby, DVD Profiler.

Return to “TVLobby Feature Requests”