End of Zap2it Labs effective September 1, 2007

Please post general questions about TVLobby here
User avatar
lathanm
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:27 pm
Location: Aurora, IL
Contact:

End of Zap2it Labs effective September 1, 2007

Postby lathanm » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:08 am

I don't know how this will effect TVLobby users but her is the latest post from Zap2it Labs:
http://labs.zap2it.com/ztvws/ztvws_logi ... -1,00.html

"For several years we have offered a free TV listings service to hobbyists for their own personal, noncommercial use. In October of 2004 we posted here an open letter saying the future of Zap2it Labs was at risk because of certain growing misuses of the Zap2it Labs data. Unfortunately this misuse has continued and grown. These misuses, combined with other business factors have led to the decision to discontinue Zap2it Labs effective September 1, 2007.

We thank those users who have honored the terms of the agreement, and we suggest you consider the many TV listings options offered by the commercial licensees of TMS TV listings data.

If you would like to discuss how to license TV listings for commercial use, please let us know by e-mail (labs@zap2it.com) and include your company name, telephone number and the best time to reach you. We will respond to your inquiry as soon as possible.

We anticipate this decision will generate discussion and invite you to respond via the Zap2it Labs forum. We will do our best to respond to relevant questions posted on this forum in a timely manner."
Hacker /n./ One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.

Pass the popcorn, the movie is starting!

http://project2501.tzo.com/gallery/automation
http://project2501.tumblr.com

TCassio
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 278
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:51 pm
Contact:

Postby TCassio » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:18 am

I'd like to know what Cinemars solution to this problem is. I just purchased TVLobby less than 6 months ago, and now its not going to work.

Cinemar, PLEASE RESPOND.

User avatar
DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible
Posts: 11071
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:39 am
Location: Metamora, Michigan
Contact:

Postby DavidL » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:28 am

Cinemar is caught by suprise like all others by Labs.Zap2It announcement.

We have had prior discussions with them of commercializing their offering, but they have not, and still do not have a means for commercial small volume access to their Guide data. Looking at the many posts on their forum, I suspect that they might look into providing such means.

Cinemar is actively looking at better alternatives but nothing to announce at this time.

We are also looking at options for recent purchasers of TVLobby. This should not take long to have a response.

bjdraw
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 4:55 pm
Contact:

Postby bjdraw » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:26 pm

Just a question, but doesn't TitanTV.com also provide this type of information for free?
Ben Drawbaugh
How good can it be, if it isn't HD?

sfreiman
Expert
Expert
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:39 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Postby sfreiman » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:10 pm

Ouch :shock:

bocapimp
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:07 pm
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Contact:

Postby bocapimp » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:48 pm

smoothtlk wrote:Cinemar is caught by suprise like all others by Labs.Zap2It announcement.

We have had prior discussions with them of commercializing their offering, but they have not, and still do not have a means for commercial small volume access to their Guide data. Looking at the many posts on their forum, I suspect that they might look into providing such means.

Cinemar is actively looking at better alternatives but nothing to announce at this time.

We are also looking at options for recent purchasers of TVLobby. This should not take long to have a response.


Well atleast cinemar is taking the time to try and help us NEW buyers.. i hope something comes out of this.. cause it is a good option to have in mainlobby

sonypoolplr
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Posts: 1490
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:48 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Postby sonypoolplr » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:48 am

I don't know how much the Cinemar and Homeseer people work together, but if something has to be bought, I wonder if these two companies could pull together the users of their products to be able to get a solution that would be benificial to both companies and the users. I currently use TVLobby and I also use HSTV which is written by a Homeseer user. Both use the Labs.Zap2It download. I would hate to have to go out and buy two different subscriptions to get the same data, and I think others might feel the same way.

Just my $.02 worth.

MurrayW
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Posts: 1198
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:05 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Postby MurrayW » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:47 pm

bocapimp wrote:
smoothtlk wrote:Cinemar is caught by suprise like all others by Labs.Zap2It announcement.

We have had prior discussions with them of commercializing their offering, but they have not, and still do not have a means for commercial small volume access to their Guide data. Looking at the many posts on their forum, I suspect that they might look into providing such means.

Cinemar is actively looking at better alternatives but nothing to announce at this time.

We are also looking at options for recent purchasers of TVLobby. This should not take long to have a response.


Well atleast cinemar is taking the time to try and help us NEW buyers.. i hope something comes out of this.. cause it is a good option to have in mainlobby
Why just look for options for "new" buyers? Us old guys are affected just as much!

sfreiman
Expert
Expert
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:39 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Postby sfreiman » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:18 pm

TV Lobby $59.99, XM PPC $44.99, MusicLobby PPC $44.99, DVDLobby PPC $34.99. Buying software that will still work and works with Windows Mobile 6 and doesn't become ShelfWare...Priceless. :x

User avatar
DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible
Posts: 11071
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:39 am
Location: Metamora, Michigan
Contact:

Postby DavidL » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:11 pm

The PPC applications were never certified to run on Mobile 6. They came out before Mobile 6 was even created. You have to run compatible hardware with the software. There is no future proof promise as technology moves on everyone. The day you buy something that is technology centric, it is out of date. We do our best to keep the Suite updated, but some things (like Mobile 6) are out of our control.

Flash isn't certified to run on Mobile 6 either. These are some of the considerations that should have been in your hardware purchase decision.

sfreiman
Expert
Expert
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:39 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Postby sfreiman » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:46 pm

smoothtlk wrote:The PPC applications were never certified to run on Mobile 6. They came out before Mobile 6 was even created. You have to run compatible hardware with the software. There is no future proof promise as technology moves on everyone. The day you buy something that is technology centric, it is out of date. We do our best to keep the Suite updated, but some things (like Mobile 6) are out of our control.

Flash isn't certified to run on Mobile 6 either. These are some of the considerations that should have been in your hardware purchase decision.


I am aware of all of the above, I simply was making a point, feeling the sting of being out nearly $200. Thanks for your understanding.

I'm sure your long-time customers, such as myself can live without you being critical of our "hardware purchase decision"(s). The people who buy your software, in turn, pay you. Please do not twist "hardware purchase decision"(s) around when it is convienient. For example, your customers decision to purchase CD Changers was fine at the time MusicLobby supported them. Now, that you no longer support them, this is often brought up as a bad "hardware purchase decision".

Arrogance does nothing to keep customers. Empathy and customer service does. I am very disappointed in your response, But I guess that is why Mario runs the company and not you. He seems to have a better overall business sense and tact.

And yes, I do accept your apology, in advance.
Last edited by sfreiman on Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TCassio
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 278
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:51 pm
Contact:

Postby TCassio » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:21 pm

I guess from the lack of information for a solution from Cinemar, I guess all that purchased TVLobby are SOL.

Whats next? WeatherLobby??????????

User avatar
DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible
Posts: 11071
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:39 am
Location: Metamora, Michigan
Contact:

Postby DavidL » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:10 pm

Solution(s) are actively being persued. They just don't get created overnight.

TCassio
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 278
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:51 pm
Contact:

Maybe some good news.

Postby TCassio » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:16 am

Cinemar, check out this site.

http://easytvdata.org/

User avatar
DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible
Posts: 11071
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:39 am
Location: Metamora, Michigan
Contact:

Postby DavidL » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:01 am

Yes, we are aware of that initiative. Thanx for the link.


Return to “TVLobby Questions & Answers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest