MLRss Plugin Photo Thumbnails

Repository of MainLobby Server plug-ins and updates not available in the current installation.
ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ronsatter » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:25 pm

djsl wrote:How do you handle passing the URL of an item link in the feed to weblobby.

I have seen the script that Mario posted on another thread that replaces all the tilde's in the variables, but that requires to create a server rule for every item on all the feeds.

Is there an easier way?

Jim

Hi Jim,

I realize that I mentioned in my earlier post: "You could also use MLWebLobby to open your browser window to the web page containing the story details".

Since I don't use MLWebLobby to view the RSS feed item details, I never figured out the work around. Sorry about that. Didn't mean to mislead you or others.

I really don't see the advantage of opening a browser window inside ML to view story details. I just put this code:

{{mlrss_active_feed_item_link}}

into a button (web html field in the button properties panel) and it opens a browser window to the story item right over my ML scene.

When I'm through reading, I just close the browser window and it reveals my ML scene again. That's just my personal preference.

There may be a work around in the 026 design scenes, if you have them. I seem to remember that clicking on an item did open ML WebLobby directly. I think it does use a special script to get the url to work. Sorry, I'm fuzzy on the details. I'm sure someone else will jump in with a fix.

Ron :)
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

itanic
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby itanic » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:36 pm

Thanks for getting me up and running with this. Reallly adds a nice touch to my news scene.

One problem I'm having is that many of the Yahoo description variables have the formatting and other information still included - not stripped by the plugin. Is this a bug in the plugin? Seems to only misfire on Yahoo as my other feeds seem to be OK (although I only have a couple and I'm new to the plugin). I guess I can create a macro to strip it out like you do with the image, but thought I'd ask first.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:38 pm

itanic wrote:Thanks for getting me up and running with this. Reallly adds a nice touch to my news scene.

One problem I'm having is that many of the Yahoo description variables have the formatting and other information still included - not stripped by the plugin. Is this a bug in the plugin? Seems to only misfire on Yahoo as my other feeds seem to be OK (although I only have a couple and I'm new to the plugin). I guess I can create a macro to strip it out like you do with the image, but thought I'd ask first.

I think it must be a formatting problem on Yahoo's end. On average, bout 25% of the feed items do not transfer story item details to the plugin ... or the image is not available. I've been observing the updating in ML scenes as predictable and consistent. Even without the code to get the image from the Yahoo feed items, the item details get lost.

I'm hoping someone at Yahoo will notice the problem ... um ... most likely not. I'm not even sure how we could let them know it's a problem. Does anyone have an inside contact at Yahoo?

Ron

djsl

Postby djsl » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:41 pm

ronsatter wrote:
itanic wrote:I really don't see the advantage of opening a browser window inside ML to view story details. I just put this code:

{{mlrss_active_feed_item_link}}

into a button (web html field in the button properties panel) and it opens a browser window to the story item right over my ML scene.

Ron I went ahead and used your method of opening up a browser window to view the feed selected. I works well and until there is a good solution to open the feed through MLWebloby I will stick with it.

thanks

Blade
Expert
Expert

Postby Blade » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:59 am

I have replaced the code in the RSSPhoto macro with a call to an MLScript that can be expanded to include for parsing for different RSS feeds.

Here is the script:

Code: Select all

Sub GetRssStoryPhoto

dim theDescription
    dim thePhotoUrl
    dim position1
    dim position2
    dim photoFound

photoFound = false

theDescription = MLServer.GetVariable("mlrss_active_feed_item_description")

'***************************************************************
    '* check for yahoo images
    '***************************************************************
    if photoFound = false then
         position1 = Instr(1, theDescription, "yimg")
         if position1 > 0 then
             position1 = position1 - 9
             position2 = instr(position1, theDescription, "jpg")
             if position2 > 0 then
                 position2 = position2 + 3
                 thePhotoUrl = Trim(Mid(theDescription, position1, (position2 - position1)))
                 if Len(Trim(thePhotoUrl)) > 0 then
                     photoFound = true
                 end if
             end if
         end if
    end if

MLServer.SetVariable "mlrss_active_feed_item_imageurl", thePhotoUrl

End Sub

Call GetRssStoryPhoto

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:10 pm

Blade,

Thanks for the script! I tested it on my scenes and it works great.

For my own "script-challenged" brain, would you explain how you might use this with other feeds?

Would you just expand this script with another section using the same parsing code except change the unique image description, ie. replace the "yimg" with something like "cnnimg" and change the image type from "jpg" to whatever graphic format was used?

Of course this would only work with feeds which have some sort of image Url reference in the feed item descriptions. Obviously, CNN doesn't. Currently I only know of Yahoo News feeds having this feature. Have you discovered any more?

Ron

Blade
Expert
Expert

Postby Blade » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:01 pm

Yea it should work with a little bit of code change.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:06 pm

Blade - Hey thanks man! Works great!!
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Re: MLRss Plugin Photo Thumbnails

Postby simonmason » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:34 am

It would be nice if we could figure out if the picture was portrait or landscape and adjust the display accordingly.
Simon D. S. Mason

djsl

Postby djsl » Fri May 04, 2012 12:29 pm

Does anyone have this script work with ver 4. I switched over and now I cannot figure out how to make this work again. If anyone is still using this and has it working with mlsever 4 what changes did you make,

thanks

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Fri May 04, 2012 7:32 pm

I have attempted to get it going under v4 without any luck. I do think that several have gotten it to work, however, it requires several v3 legacy drivers. I did ask Dave to take a look at the v4 RSS driver to see if thumbs could be easily incorporated, however this is very low on the grand list of priorities.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri May 04, 2012 8:45 pm

What exactly is trying to be accomplished here? What image are you working with? How do you want it displayed?

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Fri May 04, 2012 9:02 pm

I you go to the actual Yahoo RSS feed, on a yahoo page, you will see that each news item (or most items) have a thumbnail picture. The old user Modified version of the old RSS driver handled these thumbnails very well. It added to the data already being collected and was a very popular item. See some of Ron's old screen shots or my old screen shots in the archives. Most users actually used the customized version of the driver and not the Cinemar supported version.

Yahoo does make the thumbnail available with there feed. I do not think that we ever located any other source other than Yahoo that provided this information. I may be incorrect about that however.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Fri May 04, 2012 9:18 pm

Sorry; The screen clip is from http://news.yahoo.com
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri May 04, 2012 9:20 pm

Ok, now I know what to look for. Watch for an update.

Return to “MLServer Plug-Ins”