Extend VGA and SERIAL over CAT5

Publicly discuss strategies, opportunities and best practices using the Lobby Suite with other professionals in this ever growing industry.
creimer

Extend VGA and SERIAL over CAT5

Postby creimer » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:24 pm

Is it possible to extend either/or VGA and/or Serial communications over CAT5 directly without buying the expensive baluns i've seen around the internet? Has anyone had any success doing so and have info on how to achieve this. I want to install a serial based touchscreen next to my home theater but want to leave the PC in a room about 50' away. Any help is greatly appreciated.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:08 pm

Serial, no problem: just clip / solder ends on.

VGA, not sure. I've soldered ends on Cat5 for some things but not for VGA. Might be possible... perhaps worth a try. I'd imagine that it's quite possible for low level stuff (640x480, 60Hz and such) but may get trickier as the resolutions go up since you'd have to choose which info to run down which Cat5 (you'd need at least two presumably).

creimer

Postby creimer » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:15 pm

Thanks man for the info. As far as extending serial, are the wires terminated straight through? Also, a DB9 has nine wires and cat5 has eight. Do you just not solder one of the pins? If so which one. Thanks for the help.

PeterM1
Expert
Expert

Postby PeterM1 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:17 pm

creimer wrote:Thanks man for the info. As far as extending serial, are the wires terminated straight through? Also, a DB9 has nine wires and cat5 has eight. Do you just not solder one of the pins? If so which one. Thanks for the help.

You need to look at the spec for the serial device you're about to use. You'll need no more than 5 pins at most to get full serial functionality depending on whether handshake is implemented, otherwise RX/TX etc. is enough.

AccessHA
Expert
Expert

Postby AccessHA » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:00 am

This can be done for VGA as well but distance must be considered. I’ve used shielded cat5 for VGA runs up to 50-ft and it appears to work as well as a 50-ft VGA cable at 1024x768. Beyond 50-ft. and I would recommended moving to a balun.

Serial is simple to extend over Cat5. Google serial over cat5 and you will come up with a wealth of resources. They even sell cheap Cat5-to-DB9 adapters to make the job easier.
Hell-bent on automating everything! I’m too lazy to do anything else.

www.accessHA.com
Access Home Automation
The ultimate Insteon resource on the web.

Return to “Professional Installers & Dealers”