Product

Publicly discuss strategies, opportunities and best practices using the Lobby Suite with other professionals in this ever growing industry.
Mark

Product

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:46 am

Hi Gang,

Can anyone could recommend a good home automation system for ML to intergreat thats not software base such as HAL and HomeSeer are?

I'm looking at hardware base opition for a business I'm setting up in Australia. If anyone has any good or bad experences/comments I would love to hear from you.

If you think your comments may start a bun fight then your welcome to email me direct at info@automatedliving.com.au otherwise post away.

Thanks In advance, Mark

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:54 am

Mark - Rather than make a mess with many posts on the many options available, I will email you some ideas.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:12 pm

DaveB,
Why don't you put your thoughts into one post? This is a popular question and lots would appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

The ELK M1 would make a great choice (plugin available now).
The HAI OmniPro would also (plugin in development).

For the critical functions the above would do a great job.
Homeseer adds another level of power ontop and can run on their Pro100 embedded server for more reliability.

So can MLServer run on embedded hardware for the next level of reliability and customer induced issues avoidance

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:02 pm

Ok; See below for a copy of an Email to Mark from Monday (or Tuesday if you are down under). The reply is not 100% Cinemar concentric, so please do not get upset. That is why I took it off line;
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark;

I will take a look at the cam and will keep you on file. As for a non-windows solution (when that is required, the best solution I have found is the HAI package with either there touch screen options or the Cinemar options (but windows is required). As for support of your field projects remotely, for now it would be via Remote Desktop, but some other options have been discussed.

If you do not want windows at all, and only offer low feature touch screens, then I think you have about 6 options. Keep in mind that these would not be graphic and option rich like what you can produce with Cinemar;

1. HAI Omni Pro II/ OnQ HMS 1100 with HAI/OnQ screens
2. ELK M1 Gold (8" Screen with flash soon!!)
3. Elan with screens
4. Control4 (but they seem to keep getting tied up in there own underwear)
5. Convergent living - screen based terminal solution
6. Home Logic - new on the scene, but impressive
7. Pluto (Debian Linux based solution that will be ready in April and has impressive use of Bluetooth technology and a strong media server option)

Any of these options will operate without auxiliary PC’s or Servers; Only the first two will work with Cinemar currently. All with the exception of ELK have a touch screen option in the line. ELK will introduce there option by April at EHX. With these solutions, secondary GUI front end programs like Cinemar are not 100% required.

On the new housing market in the Eastern US, I have been using either Elan, ELK or HAI (or OnQ). If the budget allows, I will place a GUI front end on the system.

Cameras;
Take a look at my web site (which is not nearly complete) www.skytoptech.com and follow the OnQ link – take a look at the camera options – I have been installing these with the OnQ IP server with very good results. Total cost of a 3 camera (2 color / 1 BW IR) with IP server system is about $650 US, which is very reasonable and easy to install and implement. I show the pictures/videos via either the OnQ static LCD Screen, HAI Video Touch Screen or Via Cinemar. I also have just pushed the image to the HAI WebLink package and streamed them on the web.

I will mail you my Ocelot if you would like!! I have used the thing for the last 8 years with out missing a beat, and still use it today with my HAI to act as a IR reader/tester. Great product that was ahead of its time; no one picked up the pace at ADI. It is a shame as they had such a following that they could have been a strong player in this space.

I use Global Cache’ for all of my IR implementations with great results.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

Mark

Thank you

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:46 am

A big thank you goes out for this forum and to everyone for the support in helping me in the new dealer space, A special thank to David for turning mud into water, amazing stuff thank you.

Mark

Return to “Professional Installers & Dealers”