taking mainlobby from tinerers toy to pro insatall

Publicly discuss strategies, opportunities and best practices using the Lobby Suite with other professionals in this ever growing industry.
collegeboyslive
Intermediate
Intermediate

taking mainlobby from tinerers toy to pro insatall

Postby collegeboyslive » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:32 pm

Well its been a few months since the first pro install, 95% of bugs worked out however there is one that is making me very scared to put mainlobby into another home and that is the problem with the dropping of communication betwtewwn a wireless touchpad and mlserver. I dont know any instance where someone putting this system in a home would NOT request a wirless touchpad and thats there the problems lie. The current client, luckly also a freind routeenly has to reboot the touchpad to reconnect to mlserver before watching a movie or useing any mainlobby screens. this works fine if it is wired but not on wireless. I have been chasing dan for months to fix this but no go so far. This 1 problem is stoping it being an awsome interface.

collegeboyslive
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby collegeboyslive » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:46 pm

The good news is I talked to Mario again today and he said he would see what he could do. shortly after he called me back and sent me an update. I have installed it on my system at home on 1/2 th etouchpads and I am testing it now. so far so good. I will let you all know if this seems to have solved the problem in the next day or so.

Thanks Mario you are great.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:10 am

Dunno if you cursed me, but I've been having this problem more and more of late... so be sure to let us know how it goes!

collegeboyslive
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby collegeboyslive » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:54 pm

LOl I know i have been bugging Dan for months about it. anyway the good news is the reconnect seems to work. I have been testing it and although it does disconnect still now whne you press a button it realizes it is disconnected and then reconnects. the only drawback is the button you pressed that started the reconnect, the mlserve command is lost, so you have to press the button again, but still a great improvement over having to reboot the who darn machine.

now if mario can have it hold or buffer the mlserve command till it has reconnected it will be perfect :)

in fact gregory e-mail me and i wil send you the file to put in, that way you can test it as well and give a 2nd opinion

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:13 pm

Guys, I think I mentioned in another post, but, I 've found a sort-of workaround.

I was having problems with my tablet not showing-up as a client after ir woke from being in sleep mode. It still received stuff just fine (weatherlobby, dvdlobby, etc.) but it just didn't show up as a client. I added this command to all of my scenes in the "MLServer Command on scene load" window:

Code: Select all

MLServeCmd.SetVariable|Tablet~XXXX
with XXXX being replaced by the scene's name (that way I now have a variable that allows me to track what scene the tablet is on from MLServer and HomeSeer). Now, I have no problems with clients being dropped (at least not any noticeable problems) becuase every time I change scenes, the tablet says "hey, here I am" and MLServer adds it (if it was not already there) as a client.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:30 pm

I'm doing what you suggest, John, but the problem I have is with clients which are not changing scenes just losing touch and thus not being "valid" anymore unless I change scenes.

Example: MusicLobby or XMLobby or whatever is no longer displaying accurate information as that tablet has "lost touch" at some point and has gotten no "nudge" to get in touch again. A simple scene change - and back again, of course - fixes it.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think your suggestion (which I'm already doing anyway) would have any influence on this; do you?

BTW, I'm using those "active scene on client" variables combined with "active zone for client" to determine what to make a given client do when other things change in the environment. In short, I'm working on the back-end for my anticipated, mapped-out, but not-yet-built front-end which will be rather similar to yours. Are you using your variables for similar purposes?

Cheers!

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:04 pm

I thought I read last night a post from Mario that Dan is finishing up a fix for this connection type issue?

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:51 pm

That sounds familiar... here's hoping! :D

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:28 pm

gregory, I don't really have a purpose for tracking what scene my one tablets on currently other than novelty... But perhaps as my setup gets more complex I will.

Hopefully what smooth is alluding to is true, and there'll be a built-in solution.

collegeboyslive
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby collegeboyslive » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:05 pm

Dan has a test version i received today I am testing it here and at one of my clients places that was experiancing major issues. wil report in soon

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:50 pm

So what's the verdict 6 months later?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:49 am

From memory, I think there was a file that fixed the connection / reconnection issue. At least there were way fewer posts about it once Dan released a file update. Recently JRFuda posted problems again, but haven't heard from him in a few days on it. So, I would say it was "fixed". There was also an issue with MLServer taking up memory on XPTablet OS. MediaStorm posted that this was tracked to a Microsoft bug that they haven't fessed up to.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:38 am

Still intermittent issues here on the loss of connectivity. Most of mine seemed to relate to wireless reliability, but there are still some little "not updating" things that come up... hard to say why, but with six clients minimum running at any given time, I'm bound to see some weird stuff here and there. Mostly pretty reliable...

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:45 am

Ditto here, it's better, but not perfect yet.

Return to “Professional Installers & Dealers”